Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:17 PM

44,880 posts, read 59,858,372 times

Advertisements

Maricopa County Public Health :: Disease Prevention / Epidemiology : Food Illnesses and Restaurant Complaints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 05:47 PM

7,045 posts, read 8,858,082 times
I stay away from fast food places, last time I ate at McDonald's was in 2007 in Machias Maine because it was the only place that was open, I immediately felt sick afterward too. I don't tolerate greasy fast food well.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
Just because something upsets your gastrointestinal track, doesn't mean it's food poisoning. Sometimes foods just don't agree with us. For example, if I eat something with too much red pepper I know I'll get an upset stomach. This is particularly true if you eat a food you don't eat often such as a Big Mac.

Not necessarily food poisoning.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times
I reported this incident with the store # to McDonalds Corporate, just in case they care.
Entire meal today was a half bowl of white rice and a very small plastic container of applesauce. Am doing better and hope it continues !

Old 11-22-2014, 08:23 PM

22,804 posts, read 11,995,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
Do you think McDonald's has high standards?
Not anymore it doesn't. And actually not for quite a few years now.
Almost all of them are Franchises and the company itself has little to do with the way they are run.
YES, you definitely could have gotten sick from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

This is complete horse-hockey...false information. McDonald's still maintains very high standards and the company has everything to so with how they are run. I stay in touch with corporate on a regular basis.
Agree with rainroosty.

Quote:
McDonald’s is an example of brand franchising. McDonald’s, the franchisor, grants the right to sell McDonald’s branded goods to someone wishing to set up their own business, the franchisee. Under a McDonald’s franchise, McDonald’s owns and leases the site and the restaurant building. The franchisee buys the fittings, the equipment and the right to operate the franchise for 20 years.
To ensure uniformity throughout the world, all franchisees must use standardised McDonald’s branding, menus, design layouts and administration systems. The licence agreement also insists the franchisee uses the same manufacturing or operating methods and maintains the quality of the menu items.
Quote:
The franchisee assumes the responsibility of operating their restaurant in accordance with McDonald’s standards of quality, service and cleanliness. As part of the agreement, McDonald’s regularly checks the quality of each franchise’s output, and failure to maintain standards could threaten the franchisee’s licence.
http://www2.mcdonalds.com/static/pdf...ranchising.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I believe food poisoning doesn't hit within 2 hours usually. This might be from an earlier meal, or maybe something entirely different like norovirus.
From the Mayo link that was posted by CSD610 ...
Quote:
Staphylococcus aureus 1 to 6 hours Meats and prepared salads, cream sauces, and cream-filled pastries. Can be spread by hand contact, coughing and sneezing.
The 'Special Sauce' was probably too special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I reported this incident with the store # to McDonalds Corporate, just in case they care.
Entire meal today was a half bowl of white rice and a very small plastic container of applesauce. Am doing better and hope it continues !
I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Sure, it can happen anywhere...it did with a hamburger from
Wendy's to a friend yrs ago.
Just takes one person to not wash their hands,
drop something on a floor where their shoes tracked in ecoli,
boss wasn't around...who knows!

Of course she never told the health dept...you have to, so they can observe possible refrigeration issues...it could be anything.
My sister used to work at Roy Rogers back in the 90s. I was looking forward to fried chicken when she got home, but told my "trust me, you don't want it". They dropped a bit of it on the floor.

I had a friend who worked in a Friendlies (or similar restaurant). Food wasn't included as part of being employees, so the cooks would purposely burn or misshapen some burger patties, have to throw it out, but instead would eat that instead.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times
Yes this is likely to be food poisoning. The most common sources of food poisoning is mayonaise, sour cream or gravy or any cream based sauce or soup that had been laying out. Staph aureus is commonly found in these. This is why buffets are a common source of food poisoning as cream bases sauces and soups tend to lay out there for hours in poorly managed restaurants.

However, people should understand that it has nothing do with a particular restaurant. This can happen anywhere. This is not a McDonalds issue. You could argue it has to do with practices and safety of a particular restaurant or branch. If the employees are not properly managed and supervised and they are not following protocols as designed by the host institution, then that could happen

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-22-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,810 times
My daughter got food poisoning from McDonalds a few years ago. Disgusting. She refused to eat any fast food at all after that.

McDonalds (and most other FF places) are independently-owned franchises. While they still have to buy the food and supplies from corporate, they are not "run" by corporate and many corners are cut and their cleanliness, hygiene enforcement are NOT what they were "back in the day".

If you complain to corporate, all they will do is contact the franchisee who will offer you free "extra value meal" coupons or something like that. You really can't sue because, unless you kept the food that got you sick, you can't prove that's what caused your condition.

You can contact the Department of Health in your area and let them know what happened and they will do an inspection.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
Got it twice from McDonald's fries in Paris never here
The kick is French fries are always served with bif steak and I never get sick

Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Can this really be? Wouldn't McDonalds have exceptional health practices? Yet, I know that is what I have.

Yesterday I was shopping, stopped for a Big Mac with fries and a diet coke. About 2 hours later I was strolling through Walmart when I dropped the shopping cart and ran to the restroom. I sat in the handicapped stall for 20 minutes, thinking I was going to throw up, faint, or die with terrible terrible diarrhea that made me weak and dizzy. I was hot so I took off my shirt, and tried not to vomit since I hate doing that. Finally, after the awful pain and cramps subsided a little, I raced out of there, to my car and back home. I have never ever felt that bad.

Last night the cramps continued and I got little sleep. Am thinking I should have reported this to someone, but who would believe me? McDonald's?? Come on.....
McDonalds=poison, IMO. I can't remember the last time I ate anything there. Yuck. OTOH, many people believe they can pinpoint that they have food poisoning and that a certain food item gave them food poisoning. That is not the case. First of all, different people digest food at different rates. It is also dependent on how long it's been since you last ate. Furthermore, there are many different bacteria, protozoans, and other nasties that can cause food poisoning, and they all cause symptoms at different times and can be found on/in different foods. I remember hearing about a case of mass food poisoning in which people died of salmonella from eating lettuce at a salad bar! Normally you wouldn't think of salmonella bacteria being on lettuce, but it was a case of cross contamination. Whatever happened to you, I'm sorry you had such a problem, and hope you don't have to go through it again. It is no fun at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness