U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
lol you would have thought I did. My 3 year old had a lot to do with it too. I was hoping to pass out into oblivion and let my hubby deal with him but it didn't work out that way
Gosh, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It usually works for us, so I don't know what to tell you. Of course, good as a hot toddy is, it's not the end-all cure, by any stretch, (doggone it!). And, what works for some folks, doesn't work for others. Some peoples' chemical makeup may interfere with it. Maybe too much mental stimulation, prior to going to bed, or some problems we subconsciously are wrestling with. Maybe it takes more alcohol for some!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,862 times
first nyquil doesnt work and then hot toddy doesnt work! how in the heck is a girl sposed to get some sleep anymore?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I tried the toddy last night and was awake at 1 and 2 and 3 finally got up at 3:30am. I guess I didn't put enough liquor in it. I am feeling a little bit better today though.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
first nyquil doesnt work and then hot toddy doesnt work! how in the heck is a girl sposed to get some sleep anymore?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonight I am headed for the booze and drinking it straight. LOL I made myself some soup for lunch and am feeling a little better. I definately going to hit the hay early tonight.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,354,439 times
Quote:
i have a question please. i took nyquil last nite (i never take any medicines, well hardly ever at all) and was looking forward to a wonderful sleep because i always heard that nyquil will KNOCK YOU OUT! (i took some because i am exhausted and coming down with cold or flu). well, i had the worst sleep ever! my brain wouldnt shut down and i feel like i was awake all nite.
does anyone know why i would react this way? should i take dayquil instead for a good nights sleep?
oh my gosh, I just noticed this and I'm several pages behind!

o yes, I've had this sort of reaction to Nyquil. For me, sometimes it works and sometimes it makes me wired. And this was before they even thought of changing formulas! (One time, a cough medicine gave me a complete panic attack, but I couldn't say if it was Nyquil or something else, partly because I was in a foreign country, and it was kind of a long time ago).

o there is a fairly recent post about sleeping pills causing someone to be hyped up which is talking about similar things, having counter-effects to medicines (by Wisteria)

o if you or anyone wants to take Robitussin, take DM. Do not take CF! I have never had problems with DM and it helps me sleep *a little bit* (not dramatically, but a little bit). One time I accidentally took CF and was awake all night with my eyes popping out.

o Brandy: I was eyeing some at the "Liquor Barn" but I've never actually owned any "liquor" (just my chardonnay and merlot) so it seemed like too big a step to take. But I think I've had a nip and liked it.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 AM

756 posts, read 364,840 times
I took Nyquil once.....never again. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
NyQuil and Benadryl both have that effect on me. Most meds that should knock you out seem to jack me up which isnít all that uncommon per my doctor. The upside is I can take Benadryl during the day if needed and be wide awake...the downside is that itís not useful as a sleep aid.

For sleep melatonin works wonders for me. Ask your doctor if itís safe for you.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I took Nyquil once.....never again. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.
Ah, a friend took Nyquil to help with sleep and she died in her sleep. Talk about a shocker.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ah, a friend took Nyquil to help with sleep and she died in her sleep. Talk about a shocker.
Are you saying NyQuil killed her?

And let me guess...she wasn't 20.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:05 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
Quote:
thanks, i just looked at the ingredients and it only lists dextomethorphan (dmx?) and doxylamine succinate. the bottle also states that it may cause excitability in children. does this mean im immature? just joking of course. but seriously, could this mean that my nervous system is that of child's? is it underdevoleped or lacking somehow?
No, some people ore "overly sensitive reactors" to many drugs such as doxylamine (a first generation antihistamine)

Drowsiness and hyperexcitability are relatively common side effects

As a pharmacist, I never recommended Nyquil. It has a high alcohol content 10%, or more ,depending on how old of a bottle

There are better cough remedies and antihistamines out there

Robitussin DM and Zyrtec come to mind immediately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness