Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 PM

36 posts, read 27,681 times

Advertisements

Just always keep on your mind that you can do it. Quitting is not easy, but with the help of your family, friends and some treatment it's always possible to quit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,989,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
So I went to a substance abuse evaluation with an expert and they said I was by no means an alcoholic and that they wanted me to focus on quitting for my own reasons. They said they recommend rehab for those that are alcoholics, but that they simply couldn't recommend it to me because I'm not classified as an alcoholic. It's good to know that I wasn't an alcoholic, but I still want to quit and will be staying on the path.
I'm very happy to see you are making that choice to quit. I wish the best for you.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,899,733 times
Also, don't beat yourself up if you can't make your goal 100% of the way.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,683,333 times
Thanks, above posters.

I feel great and after having talked with friends and family I am even more confident about not consuming alcohol. Some of my relatives had very hard lives growing up and chose alcohol as their problem solver. Their lives were headed no where, and it wasn't until they decided to quit when it all changed for the better. I use that as motivation and knowledge of knowing that I'm doing the right thing. Again, not drinking is definitely the easy part. It's just surrounding myself by new influences and friends that will be the difference. In time, I will have a much better position with all of this.

Last edited by MJ7; 12-04-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks, above posters.

I feel great and after having talked with friends and family I am even more confident about not consuming alcohol. Some of my relatives had very hard lives growing up and chose alcohol as their problem solver. Their lives were headed no where, and it wasn't until they decided to quit when it all changed for the better. I use that as motivation and knowledge of knowing that I'm doing the right thing. Again, not drinking is definitely the easy part. It's just surrounding myself by new influences and friends that will be the difference. In time, I will have a much better position with all of this.
That is great news. I make it a habit very often now to remove negativity from my life. I understand bad news is sometimes necessary to understand but I make an effort to find some good news to balance things out. I also like to tune into shows sometimes just because it is showing sunlight and something non negative. I think it helps me to some extent. Anyway, I like to turn my bad experience with alcohol into good experiences with others that are trying to defeat alcohol cravings.

So stay motivation and positive. Remember, your body thanks you and your mind will also as well as the ones that love you.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:16 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,683,333 times
30 days sober, Merry Christmas and good luck to anyone else giving up booze or any other drug.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
Quote:
30 days sober, Merry Christmas and good luck to anyone else giving up booze or any other drug.
Congrats! That's real progress.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,539,236 times
Quote:
Best to you! It is hard but well worth it. I'm back to trying to reduce wine too, as over yrs I let creep back up to almost a daily few glasses. It is wasting $ & wasting health, & offsets my workouts to name a few things. So, again congrats as other folks say, as it is well earned when you hold your ground & keep clean & sober. You'll feel better, save $, & overall have better quality of life -- not matter what else you do in your daily life. This thread can serve as a good motivation to folks trying to quit as well. Keep up the good work!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,794,108 times
Quote:
Keep up the good work! Alcohol takes a lot of your time ( as you said). It's either nursing a bottle or nursing your body. It goes back and forth and becomes a vicious cycle to where a person doesn't have time for anything else, really. That and it's a depressant NOT a stimulant.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness