Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:21 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,955,091 times

Advertisements

61 years old and I can do it just fine......so I guess I should at least make it to 67.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
68 and if i could manage to get to the floor and sit theres no way i could get back up unassisted '
I guess this means trouble..

Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,199,453 times
I actually also think it is a crock.
Many people live long lives that would not be able to do this particular movement.
I think living shorter lives may be the people that need assistance with that movement from dinner plate to mouth.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 AM

50,122 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
61 years old and I can do it just fine......so I guess I should at least make it to 67.
I'm 53 and also have no problems with this, in fact I have been doing it and similar things like it for years to keep myself functionally strong. I'm an OT working in geriatric rehab so I see what happens to people, and trying to be an exception, lol) I think too many people focus on strength of individual muscles, bicep curls, etc, rather than functional strength, and this study may indicate that a strong core and lower body overall strength is more important than any other kind of strength when it comes to aging. I am riddled with arthritis though and have cervical disc herniations, so I may not be able to do it forever but am going to keep going as long as I can.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:13 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,955,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm 53 and also have no problems with this, in fact I have been doing it and similar things like it for years to keep myself functionally strong. I'm an OT working in geriatric rehab so I see what happens to people, and trying to be an exception, lol) I think too many people focus on strength of individual muscles, bicep curls, etc, rather than functional strength, and this study may indicate that a strong core and lower body overall strength is more important than any other kind of strength when it comes to aging. I am riddled with arthritis though and have cervical disc herniations, so I may not be able to do it forever but am going to keep going as long as I can.
Don't think I could do it with all of that going on, being proactive on your part has obviously paid off.

I don't "exercise" at all, other than just doing house and yard work, everyday life moves. Since I live alone, that also includes heavy lifting type things the man in your life would normally do, which is a blessing in disguise, I guess. LOL

I have always been very flexible, but I realize the time has come that I should be doing some kind of exercises just because.....to keep myself where I am now.....not that there isn't room for improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness