Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands after visiting the restroom?
Yes 168 88.89%
No 21 11.11%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:49 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times

Advertisements

Someone did tests on supermarket trolleys and escalator hand rails and found faecal matter on both! Apparently some people don't wash their hands. In some parts of the world is no water to wash hands with (other than drinking water). Those people seem healthy enough. Me? I'm squeamish. I like my hygiene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times
Let's hear it for the germophobes!!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Before and after.
Yes and especially before.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 PM

36 posts, read 27,822 times
Yes, as always bathroom is the dirtiest place on earth

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times
At home yes. In public, not normally. I am extremely allergic to most soaps and I can bet my bottom dollar the soap in most public restrooms will make my hands red and sore and some will cause my hands to break out and bleed. My doctor said that if I use soap that bothers me I'm more likely to get an infection than I would get sick by not washing my hands. 99.9% of the time I don't sit on the toilet whether I'm peeing or pooing - there is always that .1% of the time that I have to pee so bad that it going is more important to hovering - and I use a tissue to open and shut the stall door and bathroom door. I do carry hand sanitizer but use it only if I get something on my hands. Many of times I get heckled and I usually ignore it. If there are children present I inform their adult why I am not washing my hands per my doctor's orders. Anybody else I don't give a rat's ass about. I just don't want a kid seeing me not wash my hands and thinking it is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Mainly. The only times I don't is when there's no running water in the sink or no soap. If that's the case, I'll whip out my hand sanitizer and use it as a substitute. My problem is the people who do a number 2 and literally head straight to the door when they are done. There is are few things in life that make me as nauseous.
How do you know they didn't use hand sanitizer before they left the stall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
By the time I get to the end of "twinkle, twinkle", I have to "twinkle" again!

I wash my hands and dry them on a paper towel (or a tissue from my purse). I was in a grocery store and watched a woman exit the stall and walk directly to the door to leave. I called after her, "Don't touch the produce, please." The other occupants snickered - and washed their hands.
If you said that to me I would make sure to wait by the produce until I saw you again and handle as much produce as possible.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Not as clean as we used to be? Finding a bidet in this country is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Public restrooms, always. I open the door with paper towel (always). It's a habit. I don't ever use hand sanitizer unless there is no running water available.

But touch surfaces of any kind concern me much more than anything, such as communal hand food or the ubiquitous holiday "pot luck". Because if you don't think people wash their hands enough, you don't even want to know how awful their kitchens can be, and what sort of out-of-temperature-range experiments they have cranked out for the purpose of impressing other pot luck goers.

The other thing is computer, phone, and that kind of touch surface. I usually wipe off all of my own office stuff with glass cleaner once or twice a day. Not worried about disinfecting it as much as just removing grease. I have seen too many phones with years of accumulated body oil and makeup, or fast food and body oil. It's disgusting. Mice with who knows what gooped on them. Don't get me started with what I have seen on keyboards.

Backcountry varies. I don't feel bad if I can't wash my hands after a #1 while out in the bush. After all, if my D is so dirty that it endangers my health to not wash my hands after touching it, we've got MUCH worse problems.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM

108 posts, read 114,565 times
I always do. I think only a few people not do that or little kids but everyone wash the hands. I also do not like to touch public door knobs and open them with a paper towel because you never know who touched them without washing the hands.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 PM

161 posts, read 341,849 times
Just wondering how everyone handles their shoes. Have you thought about what those poor things
walk through every day? Do you wash your hands after touching them? Do you walk across your floors with them on when returning home each day? Just something for you to think about!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
I leave my shoes on a special mat either at or outside my front door.

But comparing feet and hands are like comparing apples and oranges. You clearly use your hands to communicate with others every day (eg touching pens, hands, carts, etc), as well as eat and prepare food. Your feet are for physical and walking support only.

And unlike your feet which are usually inside of shoes and or socks, your hands are not covered at all (except perhaps by gloves if it's cold, etc).

Again, apples and oranges.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM

161 posts, read 341,849 times
You missed my point I think. Do you wash your hands after touching your shoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness