U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands after visiting the restroom?
Yes 168 88.89%
No 21 11.11%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:30 PM

9,542 posts, read 7,865,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What is it with you extremists on either side of this issue.

Washing your hands frequently with REGULAR soap if not going to make you less resistant to germs/illness than the slob that likes to put remants of feces in his/her mouth.

Your confusing and conflating the over use of antibacterials and people with mysophobia.
WOW! you read all that into that post. Good Job!
Now, can you refute any of what I said?

What is a "remant"?

"mysophobia": Definition of MYSOPHOBIA: abnormal fear of or distaste for uncleanliness or contamination
I learned a new word. Thank you. Even though I will probably never use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,483,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
WOW! you read all that into that post. Good Job!
Now, can you refute any of what I said?
Already refuted. It's up you to come to the truth.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 931,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I find the doors on restrooms a problem, you still need to touch them to get out, and not everyone washes.
I take a paper towel or piece of tissue and grab the handle from the bottom to open the door. Then I just toss the paper towel behind the door as I exit.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 4,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Thats what my wife says as well.

She is always saying how disgusted she is about the lack of hand washing in her office. She pushed to have a big sign on the back of all the bathroom doors in bold red letters reminding people to wash their hands.

She has resorted to talking loudly about it in the breakroom with her co-workers when she spots an offender in the room.

I love that woman.

Its funny because, when I was about 15 years old, my sister and I both went into a building to pee. I went in the boys, she into the girls. The walls I guess were pretty thin between the two bathrooms, because as my sister went to leave the bathroom without washing her hands, some older lady started telling her how nasty she was for not washing her hands.

With that said. I'm kind of hit or miss with washing my hands. It really depends where I am, and what I'm going to do. If I'm in a public place, I normally wash my hands, or if I'm going to eat I'll wash my hands. Most other times I'm not really concerned about it.

The truth is, I stay pretty clean, I'm not pissing on my hands, and my hands are already covered with bacteria. In fact, there are probably more bacteria on my keyboard than there are on my hands as a result of me peeing. On top of that, as the saying goes, there's most likely crap on your toothbrush.

Its because when you take a poo, and especially after you flush your poo, particles fly around in the air.

I remember when I was younger, I had a roommate who did physical labor and his feet would always stink, badly. He would take off his socks, and anything within like 15 feet of his socks would smell like his socks, even after you removed the socks from the area. He threw some socks in the laundry room, and all my clothes smelled like his nasty socks.

Regardless. Other than people running around with diseases, or who don't know how to wipe properly. The odds of getting sick from someone not washing their hands is nearly zero.

In my opinion, the kinds of people who obsess about washing their hands, and who carry around sterilizer. Are either hypochondriacs, or who have "obsessive thoughts" when it comes to cleanliness.

I remember one time, my sister had bought this box of Cheez-its. And we were eating them at lunch, passing them back and forth, and eating sandwiches. Then a random fly flew into the box of Cheez-its and then she refused to eat them. Claiming that "flies crap every time they land". That she wasn't going to eat fly crap.

When she said it like that, it did sound really bad for me to exclaim that I would be perfectly willing to eat fly crap. But regardless. I don't know how many flies have gotten onto my food in my life. If a fly suddenly landed on my steak, I ain't throwing it away. And even if he did crap on it, its unlikely that I will even taste it, and it isn't going to make me sick.

I think people don't realize that our food is already covered with feces and maggots and rat hairs, among other things. And that our entire world is already drenched with bacteria.

Food Supply with Scary Surprises

Hair, feces: What the FDA allows in your food - FOX 32 News Chicago

10 Ways You Could Eat Feces Today - Listverse

How Feces Get Into the Food Supply News21 2011 National Project

There Is A Staggering Amount Of Feces In Our Food Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I think people who obsess about this kind of stuff are insane. And that includes my oldest sister, who religiously uses hand sanitizer. She even has some on her keyring. Its crazy.

BTW, this story referred to three of my four sisters.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,096,932 times
So gross when I am in a public facility and I hear someone walking out of a stall and then the door to the restroom opening. I will never touch the handle on the door with my hands. I use wadded up paper towels or TP (in bathrooms with electric dryers) to open the door on the way out.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,765,188 times
Re: public rest rooms - try not to squat and actually touch the seat, always wash hands afterwards, use paper towel to open door.

Not compulsive hand washer in general although I should be. Compulsive teeth flosser though. Husband will offer me a bite of something when he eats late at night and I always turn it down - don't want to start the whole flossing thing all over again.

Watched a Dateline show many years ago and they threw a blue light over things to see what they found. Jesus Christ I wish that I hadn't seen that show. "DNA samples" all over hotel bedspreads. They now immediately get tossed into a corner when we stay at a hotel. Do you remember getting spoonfuls of those little square mints (unwrapped) at the cash register of some restaurants way back when? Urine and feces found in the bowl. Thankfully they only provide wrapped mints now.

I was at a gas station yesterday making a coffee. When I reached for a stir stick they were all standing upright and unwrapped in a large mug. I was supposed to just grab one to stir my coffee, but ended up using a wrapped straw instead.

Made the mistake once of taking a shower without flip flops on in a public shower after swimming in the pool. Plantar warts over one third of one foot. Took me a long time to get rid of them. And BTW - hot tubs are nothing more than Bacteria Stews.

Used to lick envelopes and then heard a few months ago about someone who had a cut on their tongue (I don't remember the whole story exactly) but somehow eggs from something on the envelope got laid in her tongue and.......well you get the picture. Can't lick envelopes anymore either. Too gross to think about.

Have to stop myself from the tendency to lick my fingers while counting money. Read somewhere years ago about how dirty it was, how some of it us was used to snort drugs, how many years the average bill is in circulation (and how many times it changes hands). More disgusting grossness.

Always use the hand wipers before grabbing a grocery cart, and then always wipe down the handle. In general people are pretty disgusting if you think about it, but also in general we develop resistance to most of the everyday gross things we come in contact with. But after writing this post, I think I need to wash my hands more often than I do. Disgusting how many people and bacteria infested nasties we come in contact with every single day.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM

654 posts, read 1,074,281 times
I now do the Obama ghetto fist punch instead of regular handshaking.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 17 days ago)

8,143 posts, read 5,830,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Sorry to say, I believe this is a huge problem in America...we're not as clean as we used to be....

actually, they don't clean public rest rooms and hospitals like they should any longer....

but was wondering, on the topic of cleanliness, do you wash your hands after visiting the restroom

and please share your stories on any of these subjects if you like

I think not washing hands and cleanliness or lack thereof has become a serious problem in America.
Of course... but if I have to tinkle in the middle of the night, I don't because I'm anxious to get back to bed and zzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,036,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I use sanitizer after handling a menu.
I use sanitizer after handing men.
Evidently, some don't wash their hands after manipulating their junk.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 PM

19,887 posts, read 14,751,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it is pretty pathetic when you think about it, isn't it?
It's a catch 22 when you have to push somthing that someone else just pushed before you. From another thread I found out there is a certain segment of society that prefers to wipe old school 'Hand and not paper'. Don't want to follow one of those guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or