Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times

Advertisements

I will be seeing a new physician next week, and I am wondering if there is a good way to tell her that I have a highly sensitive body and I tend to experience bad side effects from many medications, so that she believes me.

At this point, I have had my fill of doctors who do not believe me, prescribe medications while barely seeming to hear what I am saying, and then appear to be dumbfounded when I actually experience serious side effects. I have lost a great deal of trust in the medical establishment, mainly because for some reason the professionals I have encountered seem to more readily believe that I am fibbing to them, rather than to believe that I have a low tolerance for many prescription medications. (Someone must be in that low percentage who get the side effects, and unfortunately, that seems to be me.)

There is no reason for me to lie or even exaggerate about this. I am not a hypochondriac (in fact, I have in the past been stoic to a fault), I do not want extra attention, I would love to be able to take medications like other people and have good results, and I do not have an unusual fear of medications (except, now, the ones that have given me bad side effects).

In the past, I have taken medications for longer than I should have, thinking that if I could just "tough it out," my body would adjust to them and the side effects would diminish. No such luck, in fact, I just had a crisis due to some eye drops that made me extremely ill after taking them for a week. I should have stopped after the first day, but I stubbornly wanted to "get over" the side effects and have them work for me. I thought I wasn't trying hard enough.

In addition to frequently experiencing side effects, medications also tend to affect me very rapidly, so much so that one of my former physicians clearly thought I was experiencing a placebo effect. I have also had physicians believe I was hysterically coming down with side effects after reading the warnings and contraindications. (In fact, I have often totally avoided reading the warnings before taking a medication, so that I would not be unduly influenced, and yet, I still had the side effects. Once when I had purposely not read the insert, I told a nurse that I was having trouble starting urination--even when I really had to go, it would take a long time to start the flow. She looked at me like I was insane and said, "I don't think that could possibly be from this medication." So I went home and looked at the insert for the first time, and read as one of the side effects, "Delayed micturition," exactly what I had been experiencing.

Is there any wording that has worked for anyone in my situation, or if there are any physicians reading this, is there a special set of terms I can use that will get us off on the right foot? I am so tired of being misunderstood and treated like a mental case when it is my body that is different.

No sarcasm or jokes, please, this is a painful situation for me and I would not wish it on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Ask about genetic testing.

This can help to show whether you are a slow metabolizer of various drugs, which means a smaller dose may be needed.

Frequently Asked Questions about Pharmacogenomics - National Institute of General Medical Sciences

Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Bring your pst records...that should show him/her what you've been dealing with!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ask about genetic testing.

This can help to show whether you are a slow metabolizer of various drugs, which means a smaller dose may be needed.

Frequently Asked Questions about Pharmacogenomics - National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Good idea, I never knew that was a "thing" and it sounds like something that would prove what I have experienced could be real. Thanks much.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Bring your pst records...that should show him/her what you've been dealing with!
Hi, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, most times the side effects have not been ones that took me to the ER or anything like that, the physician would just make a two-word note and try to get me to take something else.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
With these new "electronic records", they have no "drop down list" for your situation (when entering information), so that CAN'T be in your record! (They can't or don't know how to type in information such as yours.)

The correct thing would be a list of drugs you have had a bad reaction to of course!

I have a similar problem with not being able to take NSAIDS (over-the counter pain drugs like aspirin). This is due to bleeding. But they CAN'T enter that either! Finally a nurse just listed that I was allergic to NSAIDS - that will keep them from prescribing those drugs for me. But I would rather they could enter accurate information in our medical records! Arrrrrgggg!!!!

The people who design these electronic records systems need to talk to the nurses who use them 8 hours a day. And have a "write-in anything" or comments option for every possible entry.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
With these new "electronic records", they have no "drop down list" for your situation (when entering information), so that CAN'T be in your record! (They can't or don't know how to type in information such as yours.)

The correct thing would be a list of drugs you have had a bad reaction to of course!

I have a similar problem with not being able to take NSAIDS (over-the counter pain drugs like aspirin). This is due to bleeding. But they CAN'T enter that either! Finally a nurse just listed that I was allergic to NSAIDS - that will keep them from prescribing those drugs for me. But I would rather they could enter accurate information in our medical records! Arrrrrgggg!!!!

The people who design these electronic records systems need to talk to the nurses who use them 8 hours a day. And have a "write-in anything" or comments option for every possible entry.
That is unbelievable. What the heck is wrong with these people? I have seen so many bad situations in other industries resulting from the system designers not communicating with the end users. You would think there would be some solution for this, but personally I feel like when I go in to the doctor's office I am just one of the milling herd, and no matter how hard I try to communicate my problems and experiences, all they hear is, "Moo."

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
MD Tox ... It's a test to determine you're tolerance to medication. You can google the test for details. I just took the test myself... They take a swab from your mouth. I only asked that they not share my DNA with the NSA.
But seriously... This may be what you're looking for.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
MD Tox ... It's a test to determine you're tolerance to medication. You can google the test for details. I just took the test myself... They take a swab from your mouth. I only asked that they not share my DNA with the NSA.
But seriously... This may be what you're looking for.
You are right, this may be exactly what I am looking for! Thank you so much, I will investigate further.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:19 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

there is a reason "free text" entries like that are generally discouraged in that it will not trigger the drug allergy alert that is given to users of the record. free text entries also are the path of least resistance when entering drug allergies and end up becoming the default for entry of this information. then someone prescribes a drug to which the patient is allergic, gets no alert and someone goes into anaphylactic shock or suffers some other serious adverse event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness