U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,822,733 times

Advertisements

Since I do not know anyone who suffers from lower back / hip pain, I decided to come here to seek some input and sort of vent at the same time.

I have had lower back pain for nearly 8 years now. It used to come and go a couple of times a year. However, ever since my pregnancy in 2010/2011 I feel that it has gotten much worse and it is affecting my life. The pain also affects my right hip (I'd say the center of my right buttcheek and goes outward, at times the front of my right leg hurts too) have had instances where I am paralyzed mid air (especially when bending over). Sometimes I can't lift my right leg because the pain is unbearable. I work a desk job and the pain is much worse when sitting. Getting up is a struggle and takes all of my energy.

I finally ended up asking my PCP to take a look at it and he said "muscle strain" and sent a referral to a physical therapist. The latter was wonderful and the pain was gone for 2 weeks but came back much worse this time around. So I've been in pain everyday since before Thanksgiving.

I called an orthopedist and set up an appointment for January 20th. I must say I cannot wait to see what she says or what she will do. I've never had any type of imagining services done (X-ray, MRI etc) and I am hoping she will order it. It doesn't feel like a muscle strain to me but almost like a disc issue or maybe a stress fracture that didn't heel properly. (obviously those are just guesses)

I was never in any type of accident with exception of falling off a wall during an obstacle course in the Army and that is around the time the pain started. I should have had it looked at before, I know....

Anyone on here can relate to this type of pain and what was the outcome? I am miserable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,968 times
Look up SI Joint dysfunction. All it takes is one fall to cause the first sprain and weaken the joint.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM

6,653 posts, read 6,831,541 times
I have something similar, and was just diagnosed with chronic gluteal tendinosis. Mine's from the middle upper right buttock to the right outer hip, down the IT band. Sitting too long hurts. Getting up from sitting is very painful. Lying on that side in bed is extremely uncomfortable. I can't lift the leg, but I don't know how much of that is due to the severe osteoarthritis I have in that hip. To add to the fun, I have a damaged disc, which causes pain down the front of my leg, makes my quadricep spasm, and causes pain in the front calf muscle on the outside of my shin. Feels like I've been kneeling on something like a sharp pebble or a stick.

According to my doctor, this is one thing that can happen when people have disturbances in their gait. I obviously do, due to the osteoarthritis of hip and knee. My gait is interesting.

Next month, I am actually having a procedure to hopefully end the pain. I'll try to remember to update you on it. It's minor outpatient surgery.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Look up SI Joint dysfunction. All it takes is one fall to cause the first sprain and weaken the joint.
This is true, but the nerve involved in SI joint dysfunction causes pain down the back of the leg, not the front. My SIJ is borked because I have hypermobility, and so it's just received a lovely painkilling injection. The front side of my leg still hurts, because that pain comes from a different source.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
This is true, but the nerve involved in SI joint dysfunction causes pain down the back of the leg, not the front. My SIJ is borked because I have hypermobility, and so it's just received a lovely painkilling injection. The front side of my leg still hurts, because that pain comes from a different source.
Not true. If anything, SI pain radiates down the outside of the leg and into the pinky toe area of the foot. It also can cause pain in the groin and the front of the thigh.

20% of lower "back" pain isn't caused by the lower back at all, but rather the SI joint. SI joint dysfunction is often overlooked.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:53 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,822,733 times
I think my Physical Therapist mentioned something about the SI joint actually. I just looked it up and psoriasis can affect it also. I happen to have it, though very mild and currently I do not have a flare up... But it is starting to make sense now. I just hope this is resolved because it is making me depressed and feeling useless since I can't do much due to the pain.
I am 30 but feel 100 years old...

Old 01-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I think my Physical Therapist mentioned something about the SI joint actually. I just looked it up and psoriasis can affect it also. I happen to have it, though very mild and currently I do not have a flare up... But it is starting to make sense now. I just hope this is resolved because it is making me depressed and feeling useless since I can't do much due to the pain.
I am 30 but feel 100 years old...
Check this video - it might clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness