Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,914,028 times

Advertisements

In 2006, when I was in my early 20s, I contracted pneumonia. I had a fever of 103 at the peak and was coughing up green, blood-tinged mucus. Since I was a single male living alone in an unfamiliar city (no car and no friends), I stayed at home thinking it was the flu, and didn't see a doctor until three weeks later after I had recovered enough to walk to the clinic. He diagnosed it as pneumonia and gave me antibiotics. The infection gradually subsided.

Since then, every cold I catch devolves into a full-blown lung infection that takes two weeks or more to clear up, during which time my lungs are filled with fluid.

When I'm not sick, my lungs have a small amount of mucus every night, and I spend about an hour coughing it up before I'm able to sleep. In the morning, I again spend 10-20 minutes coughing it all up.

During a routine physical two years ago (no sickness at the time), the X-Ray technician noted that one lung had an unusual amount of mucus for a healthy person. The doctor said nothing except to come back later and have it looked at in detail.

I am a non-smoker and have not been around secondhand smoke to any major degree. I have no allergies that I know of.

How do I get back to being normal?? I avoid contact with people now because that is where I catch viruses, but the mucus is starting to be unbearable even when I'm "healthy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
You need to see a pulmonologist for an accurate diagnosis.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,566,785 times
I'd look into getting a pneumonia vaccination. I had to be hospitalized with a collapsed lung and the doctor insisted I get a pneumonia vaccination. In the past I managed to get bronchitis which was nasy and lead to pneumonia every year. Since getting the vaccination I haven't had it once. It's been about 3 years.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,963,956 times
Yep...you could have COPD....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness