Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Never had any stuffy nose with this for some reason. Just a bad dry cough so this might just be a bad cold and not the flu?
If you're experiencing body aches, getting the chills and feeling lethargic, then it's the flu. I came down with the flu last week Thursday. On Friday I went to see the doctor, and he prescribed tamiflu. I only started feeling better yesterday and tomorrow I'm going back to work despite the sick note the doctor gave me which has me out until the 19th.

Usually, with a cold you'll probably feel "lousy" for the 1st or 2nd day. After that you deal with a stuffed nose, mucous,etc.. It sounds like you have the flu because your symptoms are lasting longer than just a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Never had any stuffy nose with this for some reason. Just a bad dry cough so this might just be a bad cold and not the flu?
Those were my same symptoms. Three days of fever, body aches and a bad dry cough. Woke up on 4th day feeling better. Never a runny nose. Flu test was negative so it was just some other virus. Cough meds helped.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Mine started with a tickle in the throat. Within 24 hours I was down for the count, with a hacking cough.

And you know how some people say they were afraid they were going to die? I was almost afraid I WASN'T going to die, that's how bad I felt.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Wow, do I EVER hate that "tickle in the throat". As soon as I feel that, I know resistance is futile.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
If you're experiencing body aches, getting the chills and feeling lethargic, then it's the flu. I came down with the flu last week Thursday. On Friday I went to see the doctor, and he prescribed tamiflu. I only started feeling better yesterday and tomorrow I'm going back to work despite the sick note the doctor gave me which has me out until the 19th.

Usually, with a cold you'll probably feel "lousy" for the 1st or 2nd day. After that you deal with a stuffed nose, mucous,etc.. It sounds like you have the flu because your symptoms are lasting longer than just a few days.
I'd take advantage of that doctor's sick note if I were you. I felt much better after four days and overdid it a bit. As a result, I've felt rather diminished since and my sleep requirement has increased. Don't fool around with this and court a relapse.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Raw ginger, raw garlic, lots and lots of fluids, sleep.

I had it earlier in the season. I forced myself to eat about 1/2 inch piece of ginger twice a day as well as a clove of raw garlic. I drank tea, water, juice, broth, rinse, repeat. I slept pretty much all day and night (except when I was visiting the bathroom to get rid of all the fluids I kept forcing when I was awake). Three days later, I felt MUCH, much better.

I have not gotten the flu shot for over 20 years. This is the first time I've had the flu in 20 years.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Raw ginger, raw garlic, lots and lots of fluids, sleep.

I had it earlier in the season. I forced myself to eat about 1/2 inch piece of ginger twice a day as well as a clove of raw garlic. I drank tea, water, juice, broth, rinse, repeat. I slept pretty much all day and night (except when I was visiting the bathroom to get rid of all the fluids I kept forcing when I was awake). Three days later, I felt MUCH, much better.

I have not gotten the flu shot for over 20 years. This is the first time I've had the flu in 20 years.
I'm more scared of the flu shot than I am of the flu.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Wow, do I EVER hate that "tickle in the throat". As soon as I feel that, I know resistance is futile.
That's how it always starts for me too! I had this tickle in the back of the left side of my throat. When I woke up Thursday morning, I was fully congested and feeling very weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'd take advantage of that doctor's sick note if I were you. I felt much better after four days and overdid it a bit. As a result, I've felt rather diminished since and my sleep requirement has increased. Don't fool around with this and court a relapse.
Well, its been about 6 days now, and I felt normal enough to run some errands today. So I think tomorrow should be fine.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yeah, I haven't had a cold in at least a decade, nor the flu in 20 years. I'm 67.

Meeting up with other people, esp if they have someone they know in a hospital, nursing home, group home, etc is a sure-fire way to catch something.
I work in a nursing home, and why is it so many who work there, amongst those with flu, don't get it? I've been working in one of these places for years now, and seldom, if ever, get the flu, with patients coughing in my face during a shift?

I finally have a touch of it now, but I attribute that to my roommate who's been suffering with the flu!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
If you've got this seasons flu it's NOT at all like other flus. I'm Scandinavian and outside a lot and rarely does a flu knock me down, but this one this month has NAILED a number of people around me of all ages. I fought it off for almost two weeks, then spent a full week until it went into my chest. Friends all had the same symptoms, no matter their age. This years flu shot doesn't help it. It's really nasty and I'm just getting back to normal now. I've never seen anything like it.

It's a wet flu with some sweats and some people have had headaches. An allergy medication kept me more or less dry, and while none of the symptoms were a killer it just never seemed to go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness