Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I've known this for some time but it is important we spread this especially to younger readers.

In my case I couldn't read ANYTHING until I discovered the Kindle because of macular degeneration. The kindle saved my life.

The case against e-readers: Why reading paper books is better for your mind. - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
I got a Kindle a few years back. I thought I would love it, but I don't. It now sits on my desk, gathering dust. I don't like it nearly as much as my print books. The main thing I dislike about it is I don't know how long the books are or how much of the book I've read. I don't know why Amazon doesn't or can't fix this. I want page numbers, not percentages. Also, the maps and diagrams of the print books are frequently missing or illegible in their Kindle counterparts. And some books just aren't practical to read on a Kindle, say textbooks or cookbooks, where highlighting in which useful. And some of the books on a Kindle are cheaper, but they aren't if I buy the used version in print in my genres. I don't mind a used book, and it also negates the environmental argument. Plus I don't like having to charge my book. And as many other readers mention, it just seems very impersonal to read on a Kindle. In short (or maybe long) I don't like anything about it. The only time I use my Kindle is when I travel.

I am curious how OP finds her Kindle helpful to read on because of her ARMD. I worked as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for many years, and when I left the field, Kindles and their ilk were just beginning to be popular. Is it the backlighting that helps? Or is the zoom function or ability to change fonts on the print, perhaps?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
It's definitely the ability to change the font size. When i first started I was on the second to biggest font and recently changed to the biggest font. I don't like "turning" pages so often but hey I'm reading again. You have no idea how lonely and depressing life can be to a life long reader who can't read anymore. I can't read nutrition info on the back of products, recipes on products, newspaper, mail, etc. I have magnifying glasses all over the house and in both cars. The kids carry them too.
For edification i suggest you just keep a mental tally for 1 or 2 hours of your normal day to see how often you read. Driving, shopping, news crawlers on TV, subtitles, mail, computer work. I blow up things on the computer and I have to move my mouse back and forth all the time to capture the whole page. It's a pain but again I'm thankful I haven't completely lost my eyesight and hope the monthly injections I've been getting directly into my eyeballs for 6+ years continue to keep blindness at bay.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I got a Kindle a few years back. I thought I would love it, but I don't. It now sits on my desk, gathering dust. I don't like it nearly as much as my print books. The main thing I dislike about it is I don't know how long the books are or how much of the book I've read. I don't know why Amazon doesn't or can't fix this. I want page numbers, not percentages. Also, the maps and diagrams of the print books are frequently missing or illegible in their Kindle counterparts. And some books just aren't practical to read on a Kindle, say textbooks or cookbooks, where highlighting in which useful. And some of the books on a Kindle are cheaper, but they aren't if I buy the used version in print in my genres. I don't mind a used book, and it also negates the environmental argument. Plus I don't like having to charge my book. And as many other readers mention, it just seems very impersonal to read on a Kindle. In short (or maybe long) I don't like anything about it. The only time I use my Kindle is when I travel.

I am curious how OP finds her Kindle helpful to read on because of her ARMD. I worked as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for many years, and when I left the field, Kindles and their ilk were just beginning to be popular. Is it the backlighting that helps? Or is the zoom function or ability to change fonts on the print, perhaps?
I agree with not liking the experience of reading on the Kindle as much as I enjoy reading a "real book" generally speaking, but there are exceptions so I do have some appreciation for my Kindle, even though I USUALLY order used books and read those rather than the Kindle version.

Where I find my Kindle comes in handy is in these situations:

1. Travel - I nearly always carry the Kindle rather than book(s).

2. When a book is very large and heavy - for instance, I recently read "London - A Biography" by Peter Ackroyd and I had it originally in book form but it was SO HEAVY that it was literally difficult to read unless I was sitting straight up with it propped on a pillow. Ugh.

3. When a book has unusually small print. I am in my fifties and wear glasses/contacts. Some books are printed in very small font and in those cases the Kindle is very helpful. Unfortunately, sometimes I've had to order the Kindle version AFTER I ordered the book because until the book arrived, I didn't realize the font would be so difficult for me. This of course increases the cost of the book, but hey - at least I have that option usually.

Overall, though, I prefer the feel of a book in my hands. In fact, I just ordered three books yesterday!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've known this for some time but it is important we spread this especially to younger readers.
Similar is true of paper/ink Rolodex files vs electronic DB.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM

526 posts, read 900,793 times
I guess I'm the odd man out. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle! I am a lifelong bookworm and, while it took my a while to get used to a Kindle, I now far prefer it to reading actual books. I love the ability to make the font bigger. I love the ability to search the text. I love being able to tap on a word and see the definition. I love being able to read in bed, which was never comfortable with a book. I love being able to read myself back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night, without waking up my husband. I am perfectly comfortable judging my progress in a book by the percentages. I agree that it isn't optimal for certain kinds of books (books with pictures, etc), but that's the only limitation that I notice.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I have a Nexus (first generation 7" 16gb). I use it for reading, and for minesweeper and solitaire. I bring it with me when I go on vacation, because I can slip it in my purse and have instant access to 4-8 books for the whole trip, instead of taking space up in my weekender (I stuff 10 days worth of clothing into a carry-on bag). Since I don't own a cell phone or laptop computer, my Nexus serves as a makeshift communication tool when I'm away from home. It's also my camera.

I keep it on my nightstand and read a few pages of whatever before I go to sleep every night. I alternate with real paper books, which I don't think I'll ever give up. I enjoy the feeling and smell of books, and the experience of going to the bookstore and picking them out. But it's a danged handy device, easy to read, easy to adjust, and it's even a handy emergency light when we lose power and I have to look for the flashlight

Old 01-15-2015, 02:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle! I am a lifelong bookworm and, while it took my a while to get used to a Kindle, I now far prefer it to reading actual books. I love the ability to make the font bigger. I love the ability to search the text. I love being able to tap on a word and see the definition. I love being able to read in bed, which was never comfortable with a book. I love being able to read myself back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night, without waking up my husband. I am perfectly comfortable judging my progress in a book by the percentages. I agree that it isn't optimal for certain kinds of books (books with pictures, etc), but that's the only limitation that I notice.
Totally agree.

The article presents one writer's poorly-supported opinion. She talks about e-readers but appears to be discussing multi-purpose tablets.

I'm a retired librarian and am also a lifelong bookworm. I've been reading almost exclusively on e-ink readers for 5 years. They don't in anyway cause distraction or eye strain. As pointed out by others here, the ability to adjust the font makes them easier on the eyes.
They're also far easier to hold and manipulate than print books, something that my mom would have loved when her arthritic hands were acting up.
My favorite ereader feature is the ability to check out and return library books 24/7 without having to leave my house.

I use 3 e-ink Kindles. I keep one in the upstairs bedroom, one downstairs, and one beside the front door to grab on my way out the door. Thanks to Amazon syncing, I can pick up any one and start reading where I left off on another.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM

526 posts, read 900,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Totally agree.

The article presents one writer's poorly-supported opinion. She talks about e-readers but appears to be discussing multi-purpose tablets.
That occurred to me too. If you're the type to be at the mercy of electronic distractions, then you'll most likely have your phone/tablet/computer near you whether you're reading a Kindle or a book. Those notification ditties will distract you whether they come from the device you're reading or the device in your pocket or on your nightstand.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
I LOVE my Kindle, and am very reluctant to read a book if I can't get it in that format. I think the linked article is full of UBA (Unsubstantiated Bodacious Assertions).

Eye Strain - The Kindle has lower eye strain than reading many books. Some of that can be attributed to the ability to adjust font size to suit an individual's vision limitations, but beyond that I find it to be very easy on my eyes.

Not knowing where you are in the book - Seriously? There is a progress bar at the bottom of the Kindle screen. Anyone who can't figure out where they are in the book by looking at the progress bar must have severely limited reading comprehension, so their views are hardly meaningful.

The appeal of hard copy - The scent of the book? Really? If the smell of mildew is needed for you to read well there should be a great market opportunity for mildew scented room freshener.

The author is obviously a hopeless Luddite.

Last edited by Cnynrat; 01-15-2015 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness