Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 03:46 PM

94 posts, read 89,279 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else been told their cervix is too small to insert an IUD (non-hormonal)? Hormonal BC is not an option for me, I am at high risk for blood clots. My SO and I always use condoms but having two types of BC would really give me piece of mind. Going back to my dr. next week to try again but was curious if this is common at all? I was under the impression that an IUD fit most women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Women who have not had children or those who have had cervical surgery may have a cervix that is smaller in diameter than the IUD applicator.

If you strongly wish to try again, the cervix can be dilated.

One trick is to use a medication used to soften the cervix for induction of labor: Cervidil. This is off label (not an approved use in the package insert) and there is not a lot of scientific evidence to support its use. The medication can also have side effects and will increase the cost of your procedure. However, theoretically it could help.

Even without Cervidil, the cervix can be dilated after it is numbed with a local anesthetic.

Your doctor may have a set of these, Os Finder cervical dilators:

http://www.medicalresources.com/images/PRE1030585.jpg

These are soft, malleable dilators that can help find the direction of the canal in the cervix and gently stretch it.

Insertion of an IUD is a skill that improves with a lot of practice. If you have already had a failed insertion attempt, I would suggest finding someone who does a lot of them. Also, a difficult insertion can increase the risk of perforation of the device though the muscle of the uterus. Ask for the positioning of the device to be checked with ultrasound at the time of insertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness