Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 776 times

Advertisements

I had wrist surgery 2 weeks ago. 1 plate and 8 screws. My wrist swells horribly everytime I try to sleep. I keep it elevated and ice every few hours. My doctor says this is normal. I have feeling in my fingers and they are warm however the swelling keeps me awake. I am so tired...help please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme123 View Post
I had wrist surgery 2 weeks ago. 1 plate and 8 screws. My wrist swells horribly everytime I try to sleep. I keep it elevated and ice every few hours. My doctor says this is normal. I have feeling in my fingers and they are warm however the swelling keeps me awake. I am so tired...help please.
When I had my clavicle repaired with a metal plate and 7 screws, I had a heck of a time sleeping as well. Just hang in there, and keep doing what you're suppose to. It will get better.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
It does you NO GOOD to not get sleep! (Natures way of healing...)

Call the doctor and ask for sleeping medicine. If it hurts and the pain is keeping you awake, ask for pain medicine. Whatever it takes to get *some* sleep at least.

Even a few hours sleep (rather than none) makes me feel a WHOLE lot better - more energetic. So just be persistent with your doctor. Some are reluctant these days to prescribe pain medicine, but if they are telling you to take over-the-counter pain medicine and it is not working, let them know - be a "squeaky wheel" and keep pestering them until you can get some sleep.

And note that for sleeping medicine there are all sorts of different drugs - mild like Benadryl. Tranquilizers a bit stronger. Anti-depressants have a side effect of making people sleepy at a certain dosage. And stronger sleeping drugs which also can have some nasty side effects.

In other words if one does not work, there are other options.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I had swelling in my foot and ankle for a year after I had a plate and screws put in. My doctor said that was totally normal. I got used to it over time.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 732 times
After a MVA I needed to have wrist surgery...Mine also would swell up and I also elevated it, If you CANNOT SLEEP because of pain I would call the Doctor and demand Stronger pain pills and to get in office to see if everything is healing proper..If your hand/wrist is warm and red..get in ASAP..could be infection starting.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I had a lot of swelling after my binion suregery about 20 years ago: I think it lasted almost 6 months, but eventually it got better. Right now I am dealing with my new knee: No it isn't particularly swellen (thank God) but the pain is keeping me awake at night and I do not want anymore pain meds. I am going to try tonightr using a sleep aide and I am taking Advil during the day. I know eventually it will be fine. Each day is a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness