Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,647,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am glad that after 60 years of marriage we have never injested any of these chemicals into our bodies along with smoking.
We still get a good nights sleep.
what did you take before you married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM

3,254 posts, read 4,956,361 times
Celestial Seasonings' Sleepytime Extra tea always works for me (it has valerian and other stuff in it), but it makes me sleep very late in the morning, so I can't drink it the night before I have to get up early.

I drank a cup the other night about 12:30 after I'd been tossing and turning for a couple of hours. I fell asleep pretty easily after that, and when I woke up the next morning I saw it was 10:45 a.m.! Good thing I didn't have anything planned for that day!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:54 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times
Alteril. Combination of Melatonin and whatever is in turkey that makes you sleepy. GNC or Krogers, etc.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomgirl View Post
I've found this thread quite interesting. I've been taking Ambien since 2001 and lately I'm becoming kind of upset that I can no longer fall asleep "naturally" To be quite honest, I was in the WTC the day of the attacks and was taking both sleep medication and anti anxiety to go to sleep. I stopped taking the anti-anxiety a few years ago unless I am having a severe panic attack (which thankfully hasn't happened in a long time)
I tried Melatonin a few years ago but it made me feel groggy in the morning. I gave the bottle away but lately am thinking I may want to give it another try. Benadryl either makes me sleepy or completely wired so I can't really rely on that. Tylenol PM gives me dreams so weird it's like I took LSD.
My doctor said that he thinks I am fine with the Ambien, but I miss just being to fall asleep on my own. Not sure if I will ever be able to again :-(
You can get off Ambien. I took Halcion for 10 (maybe more) years before I quit cold turkey. There was some mis-communication between the doctor and the pharmacy on a Friday and I got sick of calling them both. I was also sick of being so dependent on Halcion to sleep and scared to death of what the week-end would bring.

My 90 year old father had quit taking Ambien by using the Alteril (mentioned in an earlier post) so I decided to try it.

Friday and Saturday nights were certainly not my best nights ever - but I got through them with a lot of tossing and turning.

After 3-4 days, I strictly took the OTC Alteril and it would take a LOT for me to go back to a prescription medication. It keeps you dependent on your physician too . . .

Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,651,788 times
I work on a flexible operating schedule so I only take something on the nights before I have to work, I use Advil PM usually 3-4 times a week. I have tried almost everything that has been on the market in the last 12 years and this is the only thing that has worked consistently. I still only sleep about 4 solid hours and then wake up at least once a hour after that. If I don't take anything I will be awake about 26/27 hours before I can sleep a couple of hours. I am trying to hold off on taking a prescription med for as long as possible.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM

22,633 posts, read 6,385,316 times
Melatonin and generic Tylenol PM.....I have some arthritis.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:18 PM

43 posts, read 78,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ambien is not intended to be a long-term medicine, though it can be used "off-label" as such. But the patient information you get from the pharmacist every time you get your prescription filled, specifies that you can become dependent on it. If you've been taking it since 2001 then you're probably (most likely) dependent on it now.

If you want to go off Ambien but have become dependent on it, you'll need to taper off slowly. You'll need to be monitored by your physician during the tapering-off period. You -can- go off it, but you need to do so safely.

I've always had problem sleeping, and so for me, Ambien is a long-term solution. I've been on it for several years and have had solid 6-hour sleep nightly ever since.
Thank you for your input, I am going to try the Melatonin first to see if I can take that instead. Otherwise I may talk to my doctor again about trying to stop taking it. More than likely my body is dependent upon it now and I worry (well I worry now) about what it may be doing to me long term. On the other hand, I need sleep!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You can get off Ambien. I took Halcion for 10 (maybe more) years before I quit cold turkey. There was some mis-communication between the doctor and the pharmacy on a Friday and I got sick of calling them both. I was also sick of being so dependent on Halcion to sleep and scared to death of what the week-end would bring.

My 90 year old father had quit taking Ambien by using the Alteril (mentioned in an earlier post) so I decided to try it.

Friday and Saturday nights were certainly not my best nights ever - but I got through them with a lot of tossing and turning.

After 3-4 days, I strictly took the OTC Alteril and it would take a LOT for me to go back to a prescription medication. It keeps you dependent on your physician too . . .
Thank you also for your input. My doctor is getting "up there" in age and though he says he has no plans on retiring one of my thoughts lately was... "If he wasn't around who would give it to me?" That was a weird random thought so as a previous poster said I more than likely am dependent on it. The next time I take vacation time (probably in July) would be the time for me to see if I can ween myself off. I expect some serious resistance from my body.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:27 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
I usually use a combo of Simply Sleep (think it's basically Tylenol PM minus the Tylenol) and melatonin. But mostly just simply sleep.
I cannot fall asleep, but once I do I'm fine. Lately it's not working and I've been staying up (unhappily) til 3, 4, sometimes 6 in the morning.
I'm not on a good schedule now bc I was laid off and I know once I do start working again I'll be ok, but for now I need a change. And I don't want a script from the doctor.
So, what do you like?
Tylenol PM. But that's just once in a while when everything hurts when I'm trying to sleep. Most of the time I'm good without it.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Thank you also for your input. My doctor is getting "up there" in age and though he says he has no plans on retiring one of my thoughts lately was... "If he wasn't around who would give it to me?" That was a weird random thought so as a previous poster said I more than likely am dependent on it. The next time I take vacation time (probably in July) would be the time for me to see if I can ween myself off. I expect some serious resistance from my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness