Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

I have tried almost everything lately. SInce my knee replacement I have only had a couple really decent night's sleep. It isn't just the pain, though when I wake up it is sometimes hard to fall back to sleep cause I am uncomfortable. Most everything I have tried puts me out for about 4 hours, then I wake up. I think the best so far has been Alive PM>BTW, I am not taking anymore pain meds, except a couple advil during the day before P.T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
I am glad that after 60 years of marriage we have never injested any of these chemicals into our bodies along with smoking.
We still get a good nights sleep.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:56 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I rarely have trouble sleeping maybe a couple of times a year. I have never needed a sleep aid thankfully.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Most of the otc sleep aids (other than the natural/herbal ones like melatonin, valerian, chamomile) are simply diphenhydramine in various strengths---same active ingredient as Benedryl.

The only one that has a different sleep inducing ingredient is Unisom--but only the tablets. They consist of doxylamine, similar to but different than diphenhydramine. The Unisom sleep gels are (you guessed it!) diphenhydramine!

For me, the doxylamine doesn't give me the woozies the next morning like diphenhydramine does, and it tends to work better than melatonin.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I'm one of those weird people who gets wired on diphenhydramine (I'd never waste money on anything but the cheapest generic version -- sold as sleep aids and "allergy medicine")...

Anything else I can try? Wouldn't be averse to a prescription sleep aid, but not the crazy hypnotics that cause strange side effects! Just one with drowsiness as an added benefit.

How much melatonin do you have to take (alone) for it to be beneficial?

Old 02-06-2015, 02:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Most of the otc sleep aids (other than the natural/herbal ones like melatonin, valerian, chamomile) are simply diphenhydramine in various strengths---same active ingredient as Benedryl.

The only one that has a different sleep inducing ingredient is Unisom--but only the tablets. They consist of doxylamine, similar to but different than diphenhydramine. The Unisom sleep gels are (you guessed it!) diphenhydramine!

For me, the doxylamine doesn't give me the woozies the next morning like diphenhydramine does, and it tends to work better than melatonin.
Very true, 90% of the sleep aids out there are the exact same thing, diphenhydramine HCI 25mg.

Diphenhydramine used to knock me out when I was younger, but for some reason it doesn't work so great anymore (I don't take it often either). Doxylamine definately seems more powerful IMO.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I'll try the Unisom tablets (in generic, if I can find them); thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:09 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm one of those weird people who gets wired on diphenhydramine (I'd never waste money on anything but the cheapest generic version -- sold as sleep aids and "allergy medicine")...

Anything else I can try? Wouldn't be averse to a prescription sleep aid, but not the crazy hypnotics that cause strange side effects! Just one with drowsiness as an added benefit.

That is true. I'm not sure why people are so concerned about taking a prescription sleep medicine. Prescription sleep medicines exist for a reason; to help people sleep. If they didn't exist, I would probably be dead right now, and I'm not joking. I believe people who are worried about taking them are concerned that they will become addicted to them. That is very uncommon unless you have an addictive personality anyway. So if you are addicted to illegal drugs, alcohol, or pain pills, it's probably not a good idea to take them. But Rx sleep medicines, such as Ambien or Lunesta, can be very helpful when used on a short term basis, and they don't have those nasty side effects that Bendaryl and their ilk have, specifically that morning after drowsiness hangover. That alone keeps me from using Benadryl at all.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

My husband is the same with diphenhydramine. He took some a couple of times, and was more awake than before he took it!!

In general, our pharmacists tell people to try the minimum amount of melatonin that works for you. It comes in 1,3,5, and 10 mgs.

It doesn't work well for me, Unisom (doxylamine) works better in my case.

However, it seems that with any of this stuff you can build a resistance.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is true. I'm not sure why people are so concerned about taking a prescription sleep medicine. Prescription sleep medicines exist for a reason; to help people sleep. If they didn't exist, I would probably be dead right now, and I'm not joking. I believe people who are worried about taking them are concerned that they will become addicted to them. That is very uncommon unless you have an addictive personality anyway. So if you are addicted to illegal drugs, alcohol, or pain pills, it's probably not a good idea to take them. But Rx sleep medicines, such as Ambien or Lunesta, can be very helpful when used on a short term basis, and they don't have those nasty side effects that Bendaryl and their ilk have, specifically that morning after drowsiness hangover. That alone keeps me from using Benadryl at all.
I think there are a lot of horror stories out there about RX sleep meds. People getting up in the night and eating things, not remembering in the morning, driving around town and not remembering. Doesn't happen to everyone, but the stories are out there. Kinda scary.

You just have to find the right path for yourself. For a lot of people RX sleep medications certainly work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness