U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM

9,151 posts, read 6,332,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think it'll be fine. My dad didn't mind the surgery, and that's saying a lot. He couldn't put in his post surgical eye drops. I had to do it for him. I made him lie on the couch or his bed with his hands underneath his body. I had to either lean on or put my knee on his chest and pry open his eyelid just to get the darn thing in. Every single time, he jumped as though he's been electrocuted. He couldn't stand anyone or anything near his eyes. If he said the surgery was not a problem, it's not a problem.
Wow, they must have had to either put your dad to sleep or sedate him heavily to go through that cataract surgery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I figured I would write in a bit of detail about my post-surgery experiences so hopefully this thread will provide reassurance to others who will be having this surgery in the future! I know that I was VERY reassured by the kindness and details provided by so many posters to this thread (thank you all again!).

I wrote yesterday that my eye was irritating me a bit -- it felt like a badly-fitting contact lens was stuck in there. It kept me awake a little last night, BUT by the time I woke up this morning, that sensation was totally gone -- it's not the least bit irritated any more.

I had my 1-day post-surgery visit today -- it went well. I was bummed when at first I could not read the eye chart well at all with the "naked" eye, but then the tech added another little piece to the instrument -- looks like a circle with a bunch of holes in it -- and I could see MUCH better with that. It's something about the holes diffusing the light, making my vision clearer? (Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but some of you may know what I'm talking about!) Anyway, the tech said everything looked really good for 1 day post-surgery. Then the surgeon came in and re-checked the eye with a couple of other instruments. He said there is still some swelling, which is not unusual at all, and it will go down day by day. He said I should see vision improvements day by day as well. I picked up the 3rd eye-drop solution so I will faithfully be doing all 3 4 times a day. I'll see the surgeon again next Thursday for my 1-week visit.

I have been working at home all day today writing quizzes etc. -- Thursday is my normal work-at-home day and I have a bit of catching up to do! I am wearing my usual glasses, and of course they don't work well at all for my right eye, but I keep doing quick checks of the vision. For example, from a couple of feet away I can see this screen better with the naked right eye (surgery eye) than with my naked left eye, and about the same as with the corrected left eye. I was also walking on the treadmill this morning (I can't jog, alas, for another few weeks -- I asked ) watching Dexter, and I could see it fairly well with the naked surgery eye. So the vision has already improved hugely from yesterday just after the surgery to now, and I am excited to see what happens over the next several days!
Glad to hear things are going well- and if you're able to do close work like writing quizzes, you're doing well- I recall for some reason I couldn't do much close work for a few days after surgery- don't know why, really. Your vision will get better as time goes on- they told me it takes about a month for the vision to get where it will be.

Now you're a cataract veteran- or at least on your way to being one! One down and one to go! My best wishes for continued success and good health with your eyes.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
See, you are right, the hardest part is the waiting, both before surgery day and while being prepared for the surgery. I am sure you will continue to improve; even minor set backs are better than not having the surgery. Lots of smiles to you.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
Default update after BOTH eyes have been done!

Just wanted to write a quick update since I had my second cataract surgery this past Wednesday 3/4/15, this time on my left eye. It, too, went well, although it wasn't quite as easy on me as the first -- I was actually a bit uncomfortable during the surgery itself (not horrible, just uncomfortable and wanting it to be DONE as quickly as possible), which I wasn't at all the first time, then I felt nauseated on the ride home -- I actually thought I was going to have to ask my driver to pull over so I could throw up. I live just 10 minutes from the hospital, though, so I was able to make it. I ate a banana as soon as I got home, and that helped a lot, then I took a 3-hour nap!! By the time I woke up I felt fine.

The next day, Thursday 3/5/15, I had to get up very early for my 7:30 a.m. () one-day-follow-up appointment. It went fine. Again, I needed the "diffuser" to see better out of my left eye, but that is apparently very normal. (BTW they checked my right eye too, which was operated on 15 days earlier -- 20/20 vision. )

It's now three days post-second-surgery, and the left eye has continued to improve. I wear the shield only at night -- during the day I use both eyes "naked," which is odd for me -- I keep reaching for my glasses! Even my computer screens are far enough away that they too are "distance" and I don't need glasses at all for them -- I can't believe how crisp and clear everything looks.

Right now I can even read on my Kindle with the naked eyes by using a slightly larger font (the 3rd from the smallest instead of the second-smallest, which is what I used before) AND holding it an extra couple of inches away from me. OTOH, the hardest thing is actually reading my phone since I use it a lot at night to browse the Internet, and I will need reading glasses for that! (Or, of course, I could just develop better bedtime habits, like no Internet in bed. )

I go back for my one-week-follow-up visit this coming Thursday 3/12/15, then my next follow-up visit is for both eyes in early April just after I get back from a conference. I have to say, I am SO glad that both surgeries are finished, and I am very pleased with the results so far. As some of you told me I would say: I should have done it a long time ago!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Just wanted to write a quick update since I had my second cataract surgery this past Wednesday 3/4/15, this time on my left eye. It, too, went well, although it wasn't quite as easy on me as the first -- I was actually a bit uncomfortable during the surgery itself (not horrible, just uncomfortable and wanting it to be DONE as quickly as possible), which I wasn't at all the first time, then I felt nauseated on the ride home -- I actually thought I was going to have to ask my driver to pull over so I could throw up. I live just 10 minutes from the hospital, though, so I was able to make it. I ate a banana as soon as I got home, and that helped a lot, then I took a 3-hour nap!! By the time I woke up I felt fine.

The next day, Thursday 3/5/15, I had to get up very early for my 7:30 a.m. () one-day-follow-up appointment. It went fine. Again, I needed the "diffuser" to see better out of my left eye, but that is apparently very normal. (BTW they checked my right eye too, which was operated on 15 days earlier -- 20/20 vision. )

It's now three days post-second-surgery, and the left eye has continued to improve. I wear the shield only at night -- during the day I use both eyes "naked," which is odd for me -- I keep reaching for my glasses! Even my computer screens are far enough away that they too are "distance" and I don't need glasses at all for them -- I can't believe how crisp and clear everything looks.

Right now I can even read on my Kindle with the naked eyes by using a slightly larger font (the 3rd from the smallest instead of the second-smallest, which is what I used before) AND holding it an extra couple of inches away from me. OTOH, the hardest thing is actually reading my phone since I use it a lot at night to browse the Internet, and I will need reading glasses for that! (Or, of course, I could just develop better bedtime habits, like no Internet in bed. )

I go back for my one-week-follow-up visit this coming Thursday 3/12/15, then my next follow-up visit is for both eyes in early April just after I get back from a conference. I have to say, I am SO glad that both surgeries are finished, and I am very pleased with the results so far. As some of you told me I would say: I should have done it a long time ago!
Super! So glad to hear you are doing so well and now all this is behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness