Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 AM

347 posts, read 669,699 times

Advertisements

I've been dealing with an ear infection and a perforated eardrum for the past few days. I went to see a doctor, had antibiotics (z pak) prescribed and have one more pill to take (in about 14 hours). It seems to have been working well...but there's a problem. The original feeling of the middle ear being full seems to be gone and replaced with a blockage in the ear canal...I fear discharge from the ear built up (I unfortunately thought I should keep cotton balls to catch the discharge) and has caused a secondary outer ear infection. I'd go back to the doctor to see if this is the case but I'd have to pay him $100-150 for a few minutes of his time...that's something I'd really like to avoid. Is there anything I can do personally to at least break up the buildup so my ear can get rid of the rest? I've heard of the olive oil in the ear to break up wax but does it work on discharge from an infection? And is it safe if I still have a perforated ear? I know, that's a lot to ask from people who may or may not have any medical training...if I have to I'll bite the bullet and go to the doctor but I know for a fact he'll just ask his assistant to squirt liquid into the ear (if there's a blockage at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
CVS stores usually have a quick clinic staffed by FNPs. They diagnise, treat, and prescribe fir minor ailments. I think my visit was $50.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
I've been dealing with an ear infection and a perforated eardrum for the past few days. I went to see a doctor, had antibiotics (z pak) prescribed and have one more pill to take (in about 14 hours). It seems to have been working well...but there's a problem. The original feeling of the middle ear being full seems to be gone and replaced with a blockage in the ear canal...I fear discharge from the ear built up (I unfortunately thought I should keep cotton balls to catch the discharge) and has caused a secondary outer ear infection. I'd go back to the doctor to see if this is the case but I'd have to pay him $100-150 for a few minutes of his time...that's something I'd really like to avoid. Is there anything I can do personally to at least break up the buildup so my ear can get rid of the rest? I've heard of the olive oil in the ear to break up wax but does it work on discharge from an infection? And is it safe if I still have a perforated ear? I know, that's a lot to ask from people who may or may not have any medical training...if I have to I'll bite the bullet and go to the doctor but I know for a fact he'll just ask his assistant to squirt liquid into the ear (if there's a blockage at all).
Do not put anything in the ear if the eardrum has been perforated. Anything in the external ear can be washed deeper into the ear. You do not want to do that. It would be best for someone to look in the ear and see what is there before treating it.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
So I bit the bullet and went to see the doctor, well, it's an urgent care clinic so I saw a nurse. She discovered that it wasn't buildup but my ear was swollen shut. She gave me a steroid shot and a prescription for steroid pills and steroid/antibiotic ear drops and then told me to find an ear wick so the drops can reach past the swollen canal. I asked if all of this was necessary and she told me she was considering sending me to the ER. So I get the drugs and told a friend who had an ear infection about it and he said that he also had an inflamed ear canal that was swollen shut after his ear infection and it just goes away naturally. I know that's extremely anecdotal but I still wonder if I'm being given treatments for nothing. Is this something that happens naturally and just goes away naturally? It doesn't hurt at all...it's just annoying and makes it a little difficult to sleep.

I'm considering taking the drugs she prescribed but not going back...she said she wanted to give me another shot tomorrow. At the discounted rate she says I'll be given it will cost an additional $115 over the $210 (visit, shot and drugs) I just spent today.

EDIT: BTW, I can't find an ear wick anywhere...nobody around me seems to carry them...which is another red flag in my mind.

EDIT2: Though, to be honest, my ear does feel a lot better after the shot (and I just used the drops for the first time...without the wick.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness