Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM

685 posts, read 718,385 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/health/7-horri...569877203.html

Folks:
This is not news to me but it may be to you. I've had problems (physical that I had to figure out myself) as a result of some of the seven items recommended you not eat here.

Lipman ... I don't know how valid or invalid he is. But he does write in The Huff as well as other online mags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,301,763 times
Let me see if I have memorized the list..haha!!

Aspartame
BHA BHT
Hydrolized Veg protein
partially hydrogenated sp? oils
Food coloring
Paraben
Nitrites or nitrates?
I think I got it! A little practice for my mind.

Paraben was the only thing I never look for, so thanks.
I didn't know hydro veggie protein was bad!

I only would buy a box of some kind of ''processed something'', when I
make pot brownies for friends, still bad...it is legal here....
I'm an organic, grass fed, even org coffee person and extremely low carb of any
kind (corn, potato or sugar, I don't care, ick)

Gosh, partially hyrdo oils I have looked for since 1995....one Triscuit with cheese on break at work and
I wanted to go to sleep and I had brain fog ...of course, I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome back then!

I had to cancel work when I had a tire changed from the rubber fumes in the shop!
I digress, sorry....but pollutants we breath are as bad...like tarring a street fumes, furniture
strippers, varnishes...fumes of any chemical!!
Be careful.

When you are well...these things are not noticed.
But, have a compromised immune system and like I said ... a few bites of one
of these things and you feel it!
Then, you are convinced how bad these are!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 AM

37,039 posts, read 41,108,401 times
I did not get past the bit on aspartame. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid. Those with a impaired metabolism of phenylalanine need to avoid it. It is not a neurotoxin for the rest of the population.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Hey, Miss Hepburn: I really dislike it when things on the internet don't have dates written on them. I saw an old story on Yahoo (ABC) in the last week that came out years ago and it was being reused. It's annoying. Here's another link for you about parabens (yup, it's in a lot of products): https://www.yahoo.com/health/7-horri...569877203.html .

Nitrates or nitrites? I found another article that's a little less believable - Nitrates: Facts About Sodium Nitrate

But I'd like your opinion about this (from the article):

"Not only that, but a truly nitrate-free hot dog would be much more likely to make you sick than a conventional one."

I've had a lot of organic (no nitrates) hot dogs and since they're throughly cooked already, I don't know why this article says they can make you sicker than a conventional one. But in a regular (conventional) dog, they're missing the rest of the ingredients which are pretty bad. It also has the backing of the American Cancer Society - and that alone is enough to make me dismiss this article.

We have a neighbor who used organic brownie mix sin weed .
Here's some transfat info for you: Why Is Hydrogenated Oil Bad for You? | LIVESTRONG.COM

I'd eat triscuits (but haven't for ... well over ten years I'd guess) because one or two isn't going to do damage to me. Cheese on top of that, though, if made in the States would cause a problem for me. I'm sticking to my once or twice-a-year French cheese which I hope isn't as bad as milk products made here.

My biggest and stupidest new issue is that I seem to be consuming more processed sugar and I've got to knock it off. Bread (wheat, gluten) tends to make me want to snooze within 30 minutes of eating it, so it's rare for me.

Outgassing is amazing and depending on the product, I don't know if it ever goes away. We finally live in a house without carpeting (just some rugs) and we're really careful bringing anything new in here. Honestly, Temperpedic beds (we bought a knockoff) were the worst outgassing products we ever purchased and got rid of them (gave them to someone who needed a bed or two for free). They were that bad.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I did not get past the bit on aspartame. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid. Those with a impaired metabolism of phenylalanine need to avoid it. It is not a neurotoxin for the rest of the population.
That's interesting, suzy_q2010 because aspartame was key for me because of the arguments for and against it before the FDA allowed it. It turned into a battle of big business putting their product to market. I believe it is a neurotoxin and can account for many incidents of people getting sick from it. Do I have an impaired metabolism? Not to the best of my knowledge. It becomes more toxic when heated. So, sodas in the sun and using it in hot drinks is not good. Soldiers were coming back from Iraq with weird illnesses and aspartame was suggested was one of the reasons.

I'd say that if you don't know if you have an impaired metabolism, stay away from it. If you're willing to risk it, go for it and understand that artificial sweeteners do tend to make you hungrier and if you notice any change in your body, stop drinking it. Lovely stuff, I know.

This is pretty scary: ASPARTAME IMPAIRMENT OF SPATIAL COGNITION AND INSULIN SENSITIVITY

It's controversial and will likely remain this way.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,474,744 times
the minute I see: Huff P or on line blog and no dateline I take whatever it is with a grain of salt. Of course some of these things we all know are warnings and may or may not be worth whatever. That is why it is best, when possible to eat mostly things made from scratch, but I am not going to lose sleep over what is in the foods and drinks I occasssionally put into my mouth.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the minute I see: Huff P or on line blog and no dateline I take whatever it is with a grain of salt. Of course some of these things we all know are warnings and may or may not be worth whatever. That is why it is best, when possible to eat mostly things made from scratch, but I am not going to lose sleep over what is in the foods and drinks I occasssionally put into my mouth.
We all have our vices . I prefer the Huff over websites I like Arianna that I'm not familiar with and hopefully I know something about the writer. Yes, the lack of a date is getting more abundant probably because you don't have to pay someone again to reuse an article. I eat Hot Tamales and Good n' Plenty and Doritos with silicon in it to give it a crunch (but those days are slowing down immensely because I feel the effects now). So, I'm not losing sleep. Scratch is better if you have time.

All I want to do is be more careful about the crud that I'm putting in a slender but over 60 year old body. I also attempting to bring some sort of awareness that what's in our main food is there because it keeps us addicted (processed sugar, fructose, and other chemicals) and it's genuinely bad for you. It's in it and will make us less healthy. That's good for dentists and it's certainly good for the medical community.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 PM

37,039 posts, read 41,108,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
That's interesting, suzy_q2010 because aspartame was key for me because of the arguments for and against it before the FDA allowed it. It turned into a battle of big business putting their product to market. I believe it is a neurotoxin and can account for many incidents of people getting sick from it. Do I have an impaired metabolism? Not to the best of my knowledge. It becomes more toxic when heated. So, sodas in the sun and using it in hot drinks is not good. Soldiers were coming back from Iraq with weird illnesses and aspartame was suggested was one of the reasons.

I'd say that if you don't know if you have an impaired metabolism, stay away from it. If you're willing to risk it, go for it and understand that artificial sweeteners do tend to make you hungrier and if you notice any change in your body, stop drinking it. Lovely stuff, I know.

This is pretty scary: ASPARTAME IMPAIRMENT OF SPATIAL COGNITION AND INSULIN SENSITIVITY

It's controversial and will likely remain this way.

Those with PKU know it. Newborns in the US have been tested for it since the late 1960s. They have to avoid phenylalanine from all dietary sources.

There are dozens of studies attesting to the safety of aspartame.

snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

Additional Information about High-Intensity Sweeteners Permitted for use in Food in the United States

The only controversy is manufactured by internet conspiracists.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 PM

10,944 posts, read 5,919,487 times
Quote:
The Congressional record said, "It (aspartame) makes you crave carbohydrates and will make you FAT".
Apparently it's addictive too. It sounds like a really successful product all round. Not only is there money to be made selling it but it makes people buy more of their other products!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 AM

743 posts, read 829,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Nonsense. I am no more hungry than I ever was before switching to diet drinks. Even if you feel hungrier, you should have the basic brainpower to track your calories for the day and know not to keep eating more. Enough with the excuses. How about some old fashioned willpower? So sick of everyone needing something to blame because they are too lazy to change themselves for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness