Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times

Advertisements

Link............ 10 Incredible Facts About Lefties - Netscape What's New

Between 10 percent and 12 percent of the world's population is left-handed, and scientists have no idea why!

10 Incredible Facts About Lefties - Netscape What's New
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Link............ 10 Incredible Facts About Lefties - Netscape What's New

Between 10 percent and 12 percent of the world's population is left-handed, and scientists have no idea why!

10 Incredible Facts About Lefties - Netscape What's New
Most left handers actually use both hands more so than a right hander. I'm left handed, sort of. I write left handed. I shoot pool left handed. I bat right handed, bowl right handed, drink left handed, rifle and pistol left handed. I handle things that I feel most comfortable.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 PM

511 posts, read 491,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Most left handers actually use both hands more so than a right hander. I'm left handed, sort of. I write left handed. I shoot pool left handed. I bat right handed, bowl right handed, drink left handed, rifle and pistol left handed. I handle things that I feel most comfortable.
That's funny.
I'm a lefty (Left eye dominant) and do the following left handed:
Write
Eat
Bat
Throw
Shoot a bow
Bowl

I do the following right handed:
golf (because when I was a kid, my father would not buy me a set of golf clubs. He made me use my mother's set)
shoot a pistol (similar situation, the only pistols I had access to had right hand grips)
shoot a rifle/shot gun (also similar...learned to shoot with me father's side eject 12-gauge. I started left handed but the spent shells kept ejecting on my face...that hurt!!!)
shoot pool (don't know how that happened)

I swing a hammer (framed houses in college) equally well with both hands. I never had to move the ladder to get to the correct side of a truss...my boss thought that was cool.

So I guess my ambidextrousness (is that a word?) is the result of adapting to my environment!!!! HA

Oh yea...I also kick right footed!!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
That's funny.
I'm a lefty (Left eye dominant) and do the following left handed:
Write
Eat
Bat
Throw
Shoot a bow
Bowl

I do the following right handed:
golf (because when I was a kid, my father would not buy me a set of golf clubs. He made me use my mother's set)
shoot a pistol (similar situation, the only pistols I had access to had right hand grips)
shoot a rifle/shot gun (also similar...learned to shoot with me father's side eject 12-gauge. I started left handed but the spent shells kept ejecting on my face...that hurt!!!)
shoot pool (don't know how that happened)

I swing a hammer (framed houses in college) equally well with both hands. I never had to move the ladder to get to the correct side of a truss...my boss thought that was cool.

So I guess my ambidextrousness (is that a word?) is the result of adapting to my environment!!!! HA

Oh yea...I also kick right footed!!
I'm left eye dominate too. Actually as a child I wore a batch on my left eye in order to strengthen my right eye.
Golf I play right handed
I swing a hammer right handed
I bat and throw right handed
Shoot a bow left handed.

I think ambidextrousness is when one can do tasks with both hands equally well. I could be wrong about that however.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I agree that we lefties are used to doing some things right handed, just because its a right handed world. One advantage I can think of is I'm awesome at painting trim, because I can switch hands with the paintbrush.
I bat right handed, but otherwise lefty all the way.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I write right handed. I swing a hammer and golf right handed as well.

I shoot left handed, eat left handed, do most everything else left handed.

Quote:
9. Mothers who are over 40 at the time of a child's birth are 128 percent more likely to have a left-handed baby than women who give birth in their 20s.
My mother was 42, a week away from 43 when I was born.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Gays and alcoholics have a higher percentage left-handed people than the general population also.

I am left-eye dominant and use my right hand. This makes a number of different sports difficult for me.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Left hand dominance has always intrigued me...I tried to go a whole day using my left hand only in tasking...Well..that lasted about an hour..I had absolutely no control nor ability to get anything done properly...

I did do some reading up on it..and found some interesting Trivia things...Since I'm addressing mostly American posters here, I thought I'd mention this interesting item..
12 Little-Known Facts About Left-Handers - Healthy Living Center - Everyday Health
snippet~
We Vote for Left-Handers!

Doesn’t matter which way they swing politically: A surprisingly high percentage of recent U.S. presidents were on the left (in terms of handedness, of course).

The lengthy list of left-handed leaders includes four of the last seven commanders in chief — President Obama, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Gerald Ford — as well as past presidents James Garfield and Harry Truman. In fact, there’s a rumor that Ronald Regan was born a leftie, but stringent schoolteachers converted him to a righty when he was young.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
I'm a leftie and do most things left-handed.

I golf right-handed. Can't remember if I bowl with my right or left, it's been so long. I'm sure, though, that I was first taught to bowl right-handed.

I have beautiful handwriting and printing as a leftie, but I can do both right-handed better than most righties. I used to practice a lot in case I ever broke my left arm.

In terms of lifting things like heavy dishes and stuff, my right hand and arm seem to be stronger.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
My husband, my twins and I are all left handed. My husband throws and bowls righty. My one son golfs, bats, bowls and throws righty. My other son is like me and only bats/golfs righty. I could write with my right hand if I had to.

My sons and I are right eye dominant - I'm not sure what my husband is.

My husband were the only lefties in our family, now when we go to family gatherings more often than not the lefties outnumber the righties!

I remember reading way back (my dad was really into the fact I was left handed so he'd always buy me books about left handed things) that the only thing (in the US) that favored left-handed people was the toll booth. Now with electronic toll taking that's even been taken away.

I also didn't realize until my teens that I held playing cards incorrectly. I don't understand why they don't as a matter of course put the number/KQJA in all four corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness