Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 AM

40 posts, read 71,609 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone can shed some light on what may be going on.

I've noticed in the last few years that my face is asymmetrical, like pretty noticeable. The right side of my face looks fatter or like I have cotton in one side of my mouth all the time. It's also the whole jaw line itself that looks fatter. It may have been like that most of my life, but I don't think so. Either way I think with selfies now I have noticed it more.
I have had not so straight teeth for most of my life and only now after turning 30 was I able to get braces. My orthodontist said it's a possibility that could have caused my jaw to look more prominent on one side but he's not sure. He's also not sure if the braces will fix that problem.

The thing is is that my right arm is fatter than the other one too. Because these things are both on the same side, I'm wondering if there is some sort of problem going on, like something causing one side of my body to be bigger.

I've attached pics to see what I mean. There is the front of my jaw/mouth straight on and each side. They are not the best as the lighting is poor and I had to crop them but hopefully it gives an idea. I tried to insert the pics rather than attach but it wouldn't work for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20150311_222742 (2).JPG
Views:	4012
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	146145

Name:	WIN_20150311_222415 (2).JPG
Views:	411
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	146147

Name:	WIN_20150311_222421 (2).JPG
Views:	1045
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	146148

I have not talked to my regular doctor about this. Financially I only can go if I'm really sick and then I only have time to talk about that sickness. Hoping that I may get at least a lead here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM

15,772 posts, read 21,283,299 times
Check your jaw, neck, collarbone, and underarm for swollen lymph nodes. One side of my body is more swollen due to scar tissue from numerous cancerous lymph nodes on that side from my battle with lymphoma. My arm is also swollen as a result. When the lymphoma was actively growing, it grew so slowly that I didn't notice how much more swollen one half of my body was getting versus the other.

I don't mean to worry you, but definitely feel around.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,276,154 times
I would see a doctor about it. As Charolastra00 said, there could be an issue that needs to be taken care of. Hopefully it won't be the case, but better safe than sorry! Keep us updated.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Charolastra00, how slowly did it grow? Years? If so, do they know how many?

For the record, I just made a doctor's appt for 2 weeks from now.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 PM

First of all, don't freak out. Cancer is one of the least likely things it could be - it could be as simple as a difference in anatomy. Did you feel any swollen lymph nodes or lumps or bumps?

I was misdiagnosed for 5 years between when I first showed symptoms of my disease and when I finally was diagnosed with a grapefruit sized mass in my chest and cancerous lymph nodes from my collar bone to my groin and on my spine - but I was showing significant symptoms before the diagnosis.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
First of all, don't freak out. Cancer is one of the least likely things it could be - it could be as simple as a difference in anatomy. Did you feel any swollen lymph nodes or lumps or bumps?

I was misdiagnosed for 5 years between when I first showed symptoms of my disease and when I finally was diagnosed with a grapefruit sized mass in my chest and cancerous lymph nodes from my collar bone to my groin and on my spine - but I was showing significant symptoms before the diagnosis.
Right under my jaw on my right side, when I push in towards my throat, it seems something might be larger than on the left. Something squishy which is on both sides but slightly larger on the right. I'm not sure what exactly anything different would feel like so I'm going to see what a doctor feels.

What were your symptoms that you started with and in those 5 years?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:55 AM

Btw, is it very noticeable in my photos?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 AM

It's not particularly noticeable, but you're also not looking at the camera straight on and I can't see your neck and collar bone which are two other areas I'd be concerned about.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about a small node under your jaw. I have one on the opposite side of my cancer side, and its because of repeated illness. Sometimes lymph nodes become "shotty" and never return to their normal size or texture after swelling due to illness.

I had Hodgkin's lymphoma which is a fairly rare lymphoma (9,000 people diagnosed with it a year in the US as compared to 71,000 with non-Hodgkin lymphoma) so my symptoms only pertain to that disease. I started with severe back pain upon drinking alcohol. My parents gave me a shot of tequila in my margarita for my 18th birthday and I immediately developed horrible, terrifying back spasms. Since I didn't drink again until I was studying abroad in college (and at that point, the tumors had grown so it didn't require alcohol to spark them), I didn't link the two. 6 months later, I developed itchy skin. No amount of scratching helped and I still have scars from where I scratched myself bloody in my sleep. I went to several allergists, removed some foods from my diet, and started taking an anti-histimine which helped but didn't stop the itching. Both itching and back pain went away almost immediately upon treatment. I also experienced growing amounts of fatigue.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Gently ''milk' your lymph nodes/glands that may feel larger, like a grape.
Your white blood cells are doing their job, yay, and
killing the bad critters and now the lymphs are congested with the die off....by flushing them gently...they can handle more and you help move things along.

A little heat would stimulate the blood flow ...bringing even more
fighter white blood cells to the area....until you see the doc, that is.
This is not official medical advice...but I've been a massage therapist
for 33 years and have had my own lymph issues!!
Oh, massage your self always going towards the heart... help the drainage.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
Most people have some body parts that are not perfectly symmetrical. It's common to have one breast that's larger than the other. For right-handed women, it's the left breast. It's also common to have more muscle in the dominant arm than the non-dominant arm.

Do you sleep on one side, or on your stomach with your face turned to a particular side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness