U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:28 AM

33,363 posts, read 39,830,964 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up if you've had cataract surgery.
Recently i had cataract surgery and a friend suggested i inform the drivers license bureau,so being an honest guy i informed them..What a can of worms that opened, first off i had to go back to the surgeon and get him to fill out a form saying my eyesight isnt a problem to my driving,sent that off a few weeks ago, yesterday i got a letter from the license bureau saying they needed additional information, they now want a doctor to verify
Any vision disorders
Hearing disorders
Neurological disorders
heart and vascular disorders
respiratory disorders
diabetes and metabolic disorder
psychiatric and substance abuse
functional limitations
all current medications
Of course failure to meet any of their required standards will mean my drivers license gets revoked.
At 65 i have no problem driving and i feel i can pass these criteria however given a cranky bureaucrat they could take issue with my diabetes and my decreased mobility due to obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 AM

9,350 posts, read 6,551,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Recently i had cataract surgery and a friend suggested i inform the drivers license bureau,so being an honest guy i informed them..What a can of worms that opened, first off i had to go back to the surgeon and get him to fill out a form saying my eyesight isnt a problem to my driving,sent that off a few weeks ago, yesterday i got a letter from the license bureau saying they needed additional information, they now want a doctor to verify
Any vision disorders
Hearing disorders
Neurological disorders
respiratory disorders
functional limitations
all current medications
Of course failure to meet any of their required standards will mean my drivers license gets revoked.
At 65 i have no problem driving and i feel i can pass these criteria however given a cranky bureaucrat they could take issue with my diabetes and my decreased mobility due to obesity.

Wow, can of worms is right! So much for being an honest guy, what comes to mind IMO about the old saw about no good deed going unpunished, as you've wound your way into the mire of bureaucracy here, or so it seems.

The way I see it, the only change applicable in your driving records would be if you no longer need to wear glasses for driving, and you have a "must wear corrective lenses" restriction on your license, you might be required to take the eye exam to remove this restriction from your license.

I had cataract surgery about 1.5 years ago, and as a result my distance vision is greatly improved ( it's close to 20/20). I was severely nearsighted before that ( since I was a kid) and as a result have the "must have corrective lenses" restriction on my driver's license. I'm seeing distance well enough now to not really need glasses for driving, but since I have monofocal introcular lenses(IOL) implanted now I still need magnifying lenses ( drug store cheapies work well) for close up and computer vision. I have some prescription glasses that are close to window glass on the top, with a tiny bit of correction for astigmatism, and the close-up correction at the bottom. I wear these when I go out, drive, just so I'm not putting on, taking off glasses depending on what I want to see. I figure I'm still wearing "corrective lenses" when I drive, so no need to notify anyone.

They gave me a card describing the IOL ( the type, correction and serial numbers) they implanted in each eye following my cataract surgery, I imagine this is standard practice. I put those in my wallet just for the information.

I'm sorry you got into such a mess with this! Especially as the information they're trying to get from you is not necessary.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:34 PM

33,363 posts, read 39,830,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

They gave me a card describing the IOL ( the type, correction and serial numbers) they implanted in each eye following my cataract surgery, I imagine this is standard practice. I put those in my wallet just for the information.

I'm sorry you got into such a mess with this! Especially as the information they're trying to get from you is not necessary.
I've got the same cards in my wallet..
\
Moral of the story if you have cataract surgery let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to DMV bureaucracy..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 AM

4,808 posts, read 3,166,431 times
Quote:
Moral of the story if you have cataract surgery let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to DMV bureaucracy..

After cataract surgery, I no longer need specs to drive, but do need them for reading. So if a cop stops me, I have my $29 readers on a cord around my neck, or else, on bright days, wear non-prescription shades, betting that the cop won't notice the difference.

Incidentally, those suggestions were offered by my ophthalmologist.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 PM

8,223 posts, read 5,658,966 times
Quote:
Any vision disorders
Hearing disorders
Neurological disorders
respiratory disorders
functional limitations
all current medications
Where do you live? State??

Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM

70,127 posts, read 80,796,440 times
I have never heard of anything like this. I know many people, including myself who have had cataract surgery and have never been advised to let DMW know or even thought of something like that. As soon as your eyes are healed (a few days) you can drive anywhere.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Where do you live? State??
I think the OP lives in Canada.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never heard of anything like this. I know many people, including myself who have had cataract surgery and have never been advised to let DMW know or even thought of something like that. As soon as your eyes are healed (a few days) you can drive anywhere.
The only possibility of a problem I could think of is a scenario in which a person who has had cataract surgery and now has 20/20 vision. He no longer needs corrective lenses to drive, so is driving with no glasses but his license still says he requires corrective lenses. Say he gets stopped by a police officer, who notes he is not wearing glasses even though his license says he is required to do so when he drives. I'd say the officer might require some sort of proof that this person's vision has been corrected and he no longer needs those glasses. The information on the guy's IOL cards from his cataract surgery will not provide that information. I don't know if the driver would be ticketed, or the officer might just tell him he must go to the DMR office for a vision check to have that information updated on his license.

That's all that's suggested around here for cataract patients who no longer need glasses to drive, ie, to go back to their local DMV office for a vision check and license update.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 PM

15,714 posts, read 15,666,108 times
NEVER....................EVER...............volunt eer information to a government Kleptocracy.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM

13,090 posts, read 24,416,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NEVER....................EVER...............volunt eer information to a government Kleptocracy.
Correct. I had cataract surgery two years ago, and didn't let DMV know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness