Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, it's incense that I prefer to burn, and I'm sure I'd find articles against that, too. I think you can find arguments against doing anything anymore. Some people pay a lot of heed to these things. Me, I really am not interested in sterilizing my life.
There are a lot of things in this modern world that weren't here in previous generations. Many of those things, like scented candles, scented air fresheners, artificial perfumes (in the old days perfumes were actually made from real flowers or other real scents as opposed to being cheaply produced in labs) are toxic. Probably moderate use by someone who doesn't already have a sensitivity to them, won't be harmful.

I can't understand someone exposing a child or a baby to these chemical scents. Their immune systems aren't fully developed. I can't understand anyone using them day in and day out. Then years later when they get cancer or even if they start getting unexplained headaches other symptoms they wonder why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
This is correct, a chlds immune system isnt strong enough for all these scents. now please think of a baby in a cot with sheets and pyjamas washed in strong smelling soap powders or even worse fabric conditioners that are perfumed.. what are these chemicals doing to this very small body..24 hours a day... its horrendous..then the baby is usually doused in oils or creams that arent required but the companies tell us that they are needed.. even sometimes giving out Bounty boxes in hospitals when a baby is born. containing talc . oils. lotions and creams , then children start to have colds a lot or perhaps asthma or other breathing problems.. all these toxic mixes cause loads of problems for chldren.. some very serious..please all look into what in some baby products , the packages wont tell you there are dangers of course and wont even be regulated to have to tell whats really in them...so find out for yourselves.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 AM

43 posts, read 75,589 times
It can be hazardous to your health if you are using low quality scented candles. Natural ingredients and high quality made scented candles has no health risk. Whenever I came back from office burning of aromatherapy candles provides me much relaxation.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
If you just want a good smelling house use a natural scent pot. You can get a tiny crock pot and put water, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or anything from your cabinet that has a nice scent in there. It will fill the room in no time.

If you just want the look and have a candle thing then I'd go with unscented beeswax with a cotton wick.
Here is a great article for you with a lot of good ideas if you love candles.

Green America: Living Green: Are Your Candles Toxic?

It also comes with a test for lead wicks. That way you can see if yours contain lead.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
The only time I use candles is on our table for dinner and not every day I mean on occasion when I want my table to look nice and yes I light them and then when dinner is over , I blow them out . I don't think there is any harm in using candles for the table for dinning and then blowing them out .

Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Everything causes cancer or some other disease these days. Stop looking crap up online and just live your life!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 AM

635 posts, read 754,187 times
I didn't read the whole thread but are bath and body works wallflowers bad? I get headaches easily and I'm starting to wonder if they contribute to them.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I love the comfort and relaxation of a candle burning. I do keep safety in mind as never to leave a candle unattended even if I'm going to the bathroom. The scented ones are my favorite. Is there any known health risks to have a candle burning several hours a day?
I would think that with air circulating in the home, and the occasional opening and closing of doors or windows to refresh the air that there is not the slightest problem. Even without candles burning, who who wants a house of stale, uncirculating air.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I learned to set up a candle i my bed room in severe cold spells , it actually worked, however
the smoke is not good ,so I went to using bee's wax, which was much improved ,however the live flame does consume the oxygen in the atmosphere =carbon monoxide .
One's brain needs oxygen to function well .
Do the math.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I would think that with air circulating in the home, and the occasional opening and closing of doors or windows to refresh the air that there is not the slightest problem. Even without candles burning, who who wants a house of stale, uncirculating air.
Winter time in cold, snowy climate can't have windows open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness