Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I respectfully disagree as I just saw three different Dr's and had the same problems with all three. Sometimes it's just a matter of them not getting my american-ish attempt at making small talk or maybe they don't get my humor...it could be something simple. I'm paying them good money to render me a service, I shouldn't have to deal with anything awkward.
You're there to see a doctor and have something diagnosed - you're not there to entertain or "make small talk". As a hospital employee who deals with staffing issues, I can assure you that the providers aren't the ones who are awkward. It's you. So stop the comedy and just tell the doctor what's wrong with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ask for a doctor whose native language is English.

Caucasian doesn't mean they were brought up speaking English
Agreed. Too; to be picky, most Middle East people ARE "white" or Caucasian as are many "Hispanic" people.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You have the right to choose whomever you want as a doctor, just be diplomatic about it.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
First I'd like to start off by saying I am in no way racist or discriminatory. I have seen many doctors lately; middle eastern Dr's, korean Dr's and chinese Dr's and while they all have spoken decsent english there has definitely been a communication / cultural barrier that has made it a bit difficult to explain and understand certain details. I take my health and understanding all details very serious. I would like to make calls looking for new doctors but since most people answering the phones aren't necessarairly caucasian how do I ask for a caucasian doctor without sounding offensive or discriminatory in nature? Do I just ask to see the Dr with the most americanized name? Sorry, I really hope I don't offend anyone.
Yes you will be seen as a racist. Speaking proper English does not mean you are caucasian.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
So you would rather have a German doctor with a heavy accent over a Somalian one with a clear English/American accent?

You see, race doesn't matter here. Just tell them that you want a doctor who can speak good English, regardless of their race.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Yes, you sound like a total bigot... Nobody is "comfortable" seeing a doctor for health concerns. Instead of judging others by their accent or color, maybe you should focus on improving your own ability to communicate and convey things more clearly.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ask for a doctor whose native language is English.

Caucasian doesn't mean they were brought up speaking English
This! Yes I would think that asking for a Caucasian doctor would sound very racist, and wouldn't necessarily get you a doctor that speaks English well, anyway.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Just about every doctor has their picture on the internet nowadays, you can see what they look like before you call and make an appointment.

If you insist on a white doctor, just phone and make an appointment with the one you want.

Don't tell them the reason why you chose them, it might make you look ignorant.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 PM

725 posts, read 804,838 times
Quote:
First I'd like to start off by saying I am in no way racist or discriminatory. I have seen many doctors lately; middle eastern Dr's, korean Dr's and chinese Dr's and while they all have spoken decsent english there has definitely been a communication / cultural barrier that has made it a bit difficult to explain and understand certain details. I take my health and understanding all details very serious. I would like to make calls looking for new doctors but since most people answering the phones aren't necessarairly caucasian how do I ask for a caucasian doctor without sounding offensive or discriminatory in nature? Do I just ask to see the Dr with the most americanized name? Sorry, I really hope I don't offend anyone.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a doctor who looks like you and shares the same genes. It's only natural that you'll feel comfortable around your own people. The best way is to do research online. A lot of doctors offices have website with a bio and picture for each doctor.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Yes you will be seen as a racist. Speaking proper English does not mean you are caucasian.
Being racist is legal.

In this case the poster is NOT being racist........just trying to be pro-active in their healthcare.

OP........ask for what makes you comfortable.......it is YOUR health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness