Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM

248 posts, read 171,344 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to start off by saying I am in no way racist or discriminatory. I have seen many doctors lately; middle eastern Dr's, korean Dr's and chinese Dr's and while they all have spoken decsent english there has definitely been a communication / cultural barrier that has made it a bit difficult to explain and understand certain details. I take my health and understanding all details very serious. I would like to make calls looking for new doctors but since most people answering the phones aren't necessarairly caucasian how do I ask for a caucasian doctor without sounding offensive or discriminatory in nature? Do I just ask to see the Dr with the most americanized name? Sorry, I really hope I don't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,536,551 times
Communication is important, and you must be able to understand each other to make it work, so I wouldn't consider a person racist if he prefers someone like him. Does your health care provider have a website that allows you to search doctors? If not, go ahead and call and ask for the names of doctors accepting new patients, then "Google" them to see their credentials and pictures. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,364,865 times
Ask for a doctor whose native language is English.

Caucasian doesn't mean they were brought up speaking English

Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,854,863 times
Doctors are doctors. They are trained to be professional and to listen to whatever "difficult to explain" problems you may have. You should not request physicians by race because you will immediately be labeled as "difficult". This isn't some frat house at the University of Oklahoma - this is Southern California. Deal with it.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Communication is important, and you must be able to understand each other to make it work, so I wouldn't consider a person racist if he prefers someone like him. Does your health care provider have a website that allows you to search doctors? If not, go ahead and call and ask for the names of doctors accepting new patients, then "Google" them to see their credentials and pictures. Good luck!
Yes, I just found that my provider does have such a search. Thanks for the great advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Very true..and a very diplomatic way to achieve what I'm after...Thanks.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Doctors are doctors. They are trained to be professional and to listen to whatever "difficult to explain" problems you may have. You should not request physicians by race because you will immediately be labeled as "difficult".
I respectfully disagree as I just saw three different Dr's and had the same problems with all three. Sometimes it's just a matter of them not getting my american-ish attempt at making small talk or maybe they don't get my humor...it could be something simple. I'm paying them good money to render me a service, I shouldn't have to deal with anything awkward.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 PM

816 posts, read 913,252 times
My provider had a list of doctors with their names, where they went to medical school, and when they graduated. I picked a doctor with a Jewish name, and a little older than me. This was to avoid doctors with certain religious baggage which affected when my wife and I wanted to get "disconnected" after our second child was born.

Unfortunately it was unfair to doctors like my own father, who aren't that one religion but also aren't Jewish.

On the other hand.. if ASU every did get a medical school, I would definitely want to steer clear of its products.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
My provider had a list of doctors with their names, where they went to medical school, and when they graduated. I picked a doctor with a Jewish name, and a little older than me. This was to avoid doctors with certain religious baggage which affected when my wife and I wanted to get "disconnected" after our second child was born.

Unfortunately it was unfair to doctors like my own father, who aren't that one religion but also aren't Jewish.

On the other hand.. if ASU every did get a medical school, I would definitely want to steer clear of its products.
Haha...you mean you can't learn medicine with a beer in your hand?
Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 AM

79 posts, read 112,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

This, Good luck!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 AM

329 posts, read 623,468 times
Why not? If you are comfortable with caucasian doc then by all means. Who cares what others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness