Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 09:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

My right hand is killing me today. This happens from time to time. Arthritis runs in my family, but also since I've been working in the editorial field since I was 22, I spend a lot of time typing. One of my colleagues has carpal tunnel, and I'm wondering if that could be the cause. Any way to get a good idea before I see a doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
You can go to Walgreens or CVS and buy a hand splint that fits over your thumb and wrist and that will tell you if its ct. Also, nighttime pain is great and can only be relieved by position of your arm/hand along with ice. There were nights when I lay awake all night with extreme pain and nothing helped. I finally went to a physiotherapy doc who did an EMG and said, yes, its carpal tunnel. Good luck to you.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks! I'll see if that helps.

I have occasionally had extreme pain in my hand at night, but haven't been sure if it's the beginnings of arthritis or CT. I really hope it's not CT, but I am constantly writing and typing, so I'm not optimistic.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I agree with PhxBarb about the night time pain.

I wore braces on both hands for several years. I would wear them while I slept because, surprisingly, that's when it hurt the worst.

The pain was primarily in my thumb and the thick part of my hand at the base of my thumb, also numbness in my pointer and middle fingers.

The definitive way to tell is to have an EMG test, that's what a doctor will likely use to diagnose.

I finally had surgery on both hands (not at the same time!) and for the most part, it worked. I still have pain in my hands but it's not from CT. I just have lots of problems with my fingers and hands.

Do you have thyroid problems? When I first went to the doc about the pain in my hands, he checked my thyroid - sure enough I was hypo. That could be causing problems too.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
No firsthand knowledge myself, but here's an info. sheet I turned up about how carpal tunnel is dx'd:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

Old 03-17-2015, 11:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Usually carpal tunnel doesnt affect the whole hand but seems to localize on several fingers,and/or an aggravating discomfort/ache of the wrist. at least thats the way it was in my case.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Well, I don't think it's carpal tunnel. It seems like it could be some sort of arthritis though. I have a friend with both carpal tunnel and arthritis, and she said that what I was describing was more like arthritis. I was throwing the ball for my dog for a few hours straight three days in a row with a chuckit, and I think I either overworked the tendons/ligaments in my hand or it's arthritis. I recall now that the last few times I've had this kind of pain, it was always when I did a lot of gripping with my hand (lightweight dumbbells, canoe paddles, pliers). I've already got arthritis in the elbow in my other arm after breaking it, but it doesn't flare up very often.

thank you for the insights here. Carpal tunnel is one of my biggest fears because, well, typing is basically my career.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Carpal tunnel usually manifests itself in numbness of the fingers rather than pain, i also think the op had a bout of arthritis.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Carpal tunnel usually manifests itself in numbness of the fingers rather than pain, i also think the op had a bout of arthritis.
And I think I basically confirmed it. Both hands, wrists and elbows are aching today, and we're having unusually damp and cloudy weather for Denver. I also can't taken any ibuprofen because I've got surgery next week for my sinuses. Tylenol doesn't do squat for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness