Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As far as having a herniated disk goes, that can be treated, and pain meds wouldn't end up being long term for a chronic problem. Herniated disks are only chronic if they're not treated. Spinal stenosis can also be treated with surgery, when other options fail. Not surprisingly, long-term use of opiates is not indicated for either malady.
There is no treatment besides surgery and I am deathly afraid of back surgery. The only other solution is to get a lot of bed rest which I do, whenever I am home I am in bed with my dogs, I use my TV as a monitor and have a mouse and keyboard connected to my computer so I can use them from bed. I did go thru physical therapy and that helped too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This isn't new, and the change wasn't "late last year" which would imply only a few months ago (since it's only the third month of the current year). Here's an old thread about it:

and yes the change was late 2014 for Vicodin/hydrocodone. Oct 6 2014 from what I found online.

Vicodin and Other Prescription Painkillers Will Soon Be Harder to Get - Consumer Reports News

Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
OP, you are very lucky that you have a GP that is willing to write you the prescriptions instead of sending you to a pain clinic.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
OP, you are very lucky that you have a GP that is willing to write you the prescriptions instead of sending you to a pain clinic.
I know it makes it easier but these laws mean I have a 30 to 45 minute drive once a month. I think it's good because it also sends less red flags since I get my other meds from him. He did put a notice once that he wasn't writing them anymore but it was to keep the drug addicts away. It's good for him because he can bill the insurance more often than the 2 or 3 times a year I used to see him. I just hate being made to feel like a junky by these pharmacists like Walmart who refused to fill it, I saw the guy ask the girl as he was reaching for it "Narcotic"? then he told her he didn't have it without checking his computer or the shelves to see if it was in stock. He's a really nice doctor, but unconventional and very down to earth, but he can also be flaky at times.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I know it makes it easier but these laws mean I have a 30 to 45 minute drive once a month. I think it's good because it also sends less red flags since I get my other meds from him. He did put a notice once that he wasn't writing them anymore but it was to keep the drug addicts away. It's good for him because he can bill the insurance more often than the 2 or 3 times a year I used to see him. I just hate being made to feel like a junky by these pharmacists like Walmart who refused to fill it, I saw the guy ask the girl as he was reaching for it "Narcotic"? then he told her he didn't have it without checking his computer or the shelves to see if it was in stock. He's a really nice doctor, but unconventional and very down to earth, but he can also be flaky at times.
You should not need to see the doctor each time you get a script for these pills. Hubby picks them up from the front office every month or so.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,825 times
Oh gosh yes. In my state(I don't know if it's federal law or not) weak (as opposed to oxycodone)hydrocodone has become a c-2 drug like Dilaudid, morphine, and oxycontin and oxycodone. So that means, no refills, Dr's can't call it in, and forget about calling the pharmacies and asking if they have it in stock. I have had them treat me like gutter trash and hang up without even answering the question. I take Norco 10mg/325 120 a month or 4 times a day, and luckily have a good mom and pop pharmacy that knows me and can order it for me. I have had some pharmacy's tell me they can't tell me if they have it in stock over the phone but they then tell me to come in with the Rx then they tell me they don't have it. I understand they are afraid of getting robbed and I am sure the Nazi DEA breathes down their neck bad too.

The best thing to do is try to find a good mom and pop pharmacy and get to know them and come in every month at the same time if you happen to go like me to your Pain Dr every month. In case anyone wants to know why I take this medication it's because I was in a wreck 5 years ago and broke my neck and back but still have to go to physical therapy and Pain Dr every month.

I also take oxycontin 80 mg's 2 times a day, I take the Hydrocodone for the breakthough pain.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Dear Everybody,

If in Walgreens and med is "out of stock" ask the tech to call at least 3 other places for you. Their corporation will be reaping the proceeds regardless and we as patients do not always have the time or gas money to be driving all over the state. And they can not always tell patients over the phone if a "schedule II" is in stock.

Make the pharmacist were you go serve you to the best of her ability. Phone calls on your behalf included. If they can make the time to make calls if they suspect that you're an addict, they can make the time to track down who has your med in stock within their corporation.

Sincerely Yours,
"Sick of the run around"

Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Part of the reason things were changed for the Vicodin and Hydrocodone is because Doctor's were handing out prescriptions like tic tacs, people were getting addicted and that caused a bigger issue because no one was really paying attention to the amount of pills that were being consumed per patient.

I have a prescription for Hydrocone for 45 pills that I get with no issue at all anytime I need it however, those 45 pills last me moe than a year most of the time. I get severe migraines however, I only take the pain medication when absolutely necessary.

Also, in the area that I live one cannot have a prescription for 90 Hydrocodone because it is not allowed by law, the limit is 45.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
I take Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 5/325 mg for my herniated disk with spinal stenosis. I think it's the weakest version of that medication.
Quote:
I'm in south Florida so everyone is old everywhere. I do like Walgreens because they seem to have one every mile down here.
I'm in South Florida as well (Miami Beach) and have been taking Vicodin (7.5/325) for years and have had no problem whatsoever getting my prescriptions filled by local pharmacies. However, I use Publix rather than Walgreens because I've found Walgreens to be a PIA when it comes to any Sch. II drug. (I also take codeine sulfate 3x/day, albeit not for pain.)

Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
This is getting to be ridiculous!

I'm having trouble with "narcotics" (classified as such) like an anti-diarrhea Rx (Lomotil) and an epilepsy drug for my DOG (Phenobarbital)...

The doctor/vet or pharmacist will say I need a paper prescription for these, then another will say I don't need a paper prescription - that they can call it in????

I have had one pharmacist say I needed a paper Rx and another (same pharmacy) say I didn't need a paper Rx????

I asked my doctor about all this "paper" confusion and he said they changed the rules in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness