U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 PM

715 posts, read 583,336 times

Advertisements

For me a back injury when I fell of a slide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I was on the back of my moped in 1982, my best friend was driving. We went down the wrong way on a one-way street into a major intersection without stopping. He died 4 days later of massive internal injuries and a broken neck. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and intensive physical therapy and hydrotherapy for 6 months. I was clinically dead in CICU for around 18 seconds (no brain or heart function) after they transferred me from ER.

Diagnosis:

Fractured femur (left thigh bone), radius and ulna (left forearm, both bones), clavicle (left collarbone), 3 ribs (left side), an embellism travelling from the broken thigh bone up an artery toward my heart, 3 jarred (but not broken) front teeth, a split lip, various contusions and abrasions, and minor lower spinal trauma that they didn't even catch at the time since nothing near my spine was actually broken or displaced.

Now, over 30 years later, I have scars on my leg and arm from the surgeries to place a steel rod (leg) and the steel plates (arm) and then remove them a couple years later. I had to get a bridge for my upper teeth a couple years after the accident that has since been expanded and replaced, I have osteopenia in my hip and spine and degenerative disk disease in my lower spine. I also had to have arthroscopic knee surgery 6 years ago, and the surgeon thinks it might be related to the broken leg from the 1980's.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:42 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
I have a herniated disk with some spinal stenosis (narrowing of the backbone) It wasn't one injury per se, I think it just happened and progressed. I know when I was younger (20s or 30s) my father and I lifted a huge china cabinet up 8 steps into the home. Also I did some work where I occasionally had to lift heavy objects.

The worst that sent me to the ER was when I slipped in my bedroom and fell on my arm. I knew something was wrong because I couldn't move it right. Luckily it was just a hairline fracture that healed on it's own.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Large open wound on my left hand that required stitches. I was playing chase with a little kid and pushed against a glass pane without thinking while I was turning a corner, which broke. X-rays showed only miniscule shards of glass that didn't need to be removed.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:37 PM

12,617 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Blunt trauma to spleen while all sternum cartilage to ribs torn away...2 fractured ribs, also...pfft.
as rib cage stopped my fall down water meter 'hole'.

Water meter cover was not locked by last workman....2001.

Moral: Never trust any man made cover on any sidewalk anywhere.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:56 PM

685 posts, read 531,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
For me a back injury when I fell of a slide
What a thread and what horrible stories. Mine will seem like nothing. It's a great topic.

I was off work on a Friday home with just my cats and dogs and was working on putting a shelf together (have good table saw will cut). I used the wrong wrong wrong tool on my saw to make a straight cut. I didn't use a piece of wood to push the wood through, so I used my finger and the wood got stuck. Fortunately (I rationalize), the blade had 60 teeth on it (vs 40) and my finger got caught. A lot of thoughts went through my head but what they were, I no longer remember (11 years ago in April) and despite that, I was level headed and likely had extricated it within a fraction of a second.

I had a stick shift car (left hand/finger were the issue) and blood was pouring. I kept my left hand out the window so people could see let her go and got to the hospital ER. The verdict was the blade cut just above my second digit right behind my nail and left a tiny piece of bone. It had to go. Fortunately, the intern on call was a plastic surgeon because the hospital (five minutes from home) was known for being atrociously bad. He did a great job and even to this day (a little less though), my left hand remains in my pocket or sort of out of sight. But compared to your stories, this was nothing and I'm still a very fast and accurate nine-finger touch typist .

Old 03-21-2015, 04:18 PM

17,983 posts, read 17,131,123 times
About ten years ago I was working on some plantings by the side of the house where I rented an apartment. The landlord, trying to be helpful, had just added a knee high (or higher, can't remember) wire fence. I was standing in the planted area when I was done working on the flowers and had to lift my leg really high to get over the fence.

I lost my balance and had a quick choice of whether to fall against the house onto pointy plant stakes or to fall away from the house. I chose - away. So I feel onto the driveway. I was stunned and just lay there. Fortunately my Ex was home and he heard my calls for help.

He came out of the house and saw me lying on my back and said, "What are you doing?" Finally he helped me up and with me driving (my Ex had lost his license) and him shifting, we made it to the ER. I had a torn rotator cuff. That turned into frozen shoulder for some reason and it was very painful. I had PT but still could not totally raise that arm until my new husband who'd had some medical experience, did something--breaking the capsule or something, which was painful but it totally fixed it.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,168,792 times
.........Evening of August 23rd, 1951,::.......I am seated on the far right side of the front seat in 1949 Ford Convertible, with the top down....The driver (a casual friend) is angry at his girl friend seated between us, and he is taking his anger out on the "gas-pedal".......we are on a two lane county highway in a sparsly populated area of the county and approaching 100 mph. The right front tire blew out and the car spun clock wise across the highway and impacted a 2 foot dia Oak Tree (in the driver door) in the front yard of the only house within a half mile.......The home owner (awakened by the sound) looked out & saw the severity of the wreck (car wraped around the tree), picked up the phone and called the police, and her Parish priest . The priest arrived just after the police & ambulance......the convertible was approx 3 feet wide at the point where it was wraped around the tree, and our three bodies were 'in that space'. The priest (a former WWII Combat Chaplin) detected a pulse in the neck of the person (me) 'on the top-of-the-pile'. He administered the Last Rights of the Catholic Church to me - obviously unconsicous- and told the ambulance personell and police to get me out ASAP and on the way to the hospital (11 miles way). He (the Priest) had the ambulance personell do a "Direct-Transfusion" from his arm into my arm, while on the way to the hospital. The other two were "killed-on-impact"!..................Remember this is 1951 in a rural area of northern Illinois when emergency medical care at the scene of severe accidents was quite limited--------Thank God for small miracles!!!

(>>All of the above info was given to me by all parties involved several months after the fact<<)........I have no memory from approx 30 minutes before the impact until 16 days later when I woke up in the confines of an "Oxygen Tent" in a hospital room, encased in a "Body Cast" that went from below my hips up to my neck, and out my left arm to my hand and a separate cast on my right wrist and right leg and knee.

Partial list of injuries:
Severe concussion resulting from my head impacting (something?) and required 22 stiches to close two wounds across my left side forehead.
Numerous cuts and wounds on both hands, both legs (some requiring stiches) and several blood transfusions during the first two weeks and serveral different IV's during the first month for a variety of reasons. Was able to ingest some limited solid food in week number (6)
Complete loss of hearing in Left ear do to nerve damage.
"Luck-of-The-Irish":>>>>>No major injuries to face (except forehead); no damage to teeth or eyes.

Fractures: (Three "Body-Cast" Changes required during the (4) month Hospital Stay due to "weight loss".)
Fractured Pelvis in area of Left Hip Joint.
" (5) Vertabrea: L1, L2, L3, L4 & L5.
" Left Forearm; Left Wrist; Left Shoulder; Left Collar Bone;
" (4) Ribs on Left Side.
Cracked Sternum.
Fractured Right Wrist
Right Knee Fractured and partially Crushed during extraction from car, and ultimately surgically "rebuilt (5) years later.

I'll be 83 years young next month and hope to reach 90.

Reasons for survival:..........: Faith; Positive attitude; HardWork and 160 Physical Therapy Sessions......................AND: My job for the 90 days preceeding the accident>>>>>>RUNNING AN "AIR HAMMER (Jack Hammer)" Breaking up slabs of Concrete Highway!!!

Last edited by Montana Griz; 03-21-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 06:04 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Sar down in chair at work which broke. My button bg I t the floor hard and my head hit the wall. Partial C5 rupture and C4-5-L4-5-S1 ruptured discs. Had 2 fusuons, the lumbar one first.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,446,122 times
broke my left knee and left arm at same time, could only walk in circles after that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness