U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:58 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,829 times

Advertisements

My daughter is growing her hair long to donate it to a charity that provides free wigs to cancer and alopecia patients. Has anyone else done this before? Can you explain where to go and what to do ? I do not want to donate it to a place that makes money from it and I want to make sure it is correctly collected so the charity can use it. Can someone give us some advice? She has pretty dark hair and she has never dyed it . We just want to make sure the hair is donated to a reputable charity . What salon do we trust to do it ? And will they do it for free? We are also not sure how long her hair should be and which charity is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,804,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
My daughter is growing her hair long to donate it to a charity that provides free wigs to cancer and alopecia patients. Has anyone else done this before? Can you explain where to go and what to do ? I do not want to donate it to a place that makes money from it and I want to make sure it is correctly collected so the charity can use it. Can someone give us some advice? She has pretty dark hair and she has never dyed it . We just want to make sure the hair is donated to a reputable charity . What salon do we trust to do it ? And will they do it for free? We are also not sure how long her hair should be and which charity is the best.
Some years back when I had long hair and wanted it cut short, the hair stylist at the Great Clips I went to asked me if I would like to donate my hair to Locks of Love. When I said yes, she gathered it with a band at both ends, cut it, and gave it to me along with a postage paid envelope to mail it in. Here's a link to Locks of Love:
Locks of Love helps disadvantaged children suffering from medical hair loss

So I'm sure you can just call up local salons and ask if they participate in this or another program. It couldn't have been any easier, and I felt good that my hair was going to help a child with hair loss.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 AM

546 posts, read 332,724 times
My daughter donated recently, not sure if it was Locks of Love or not. She needed a minimum of 10 inches length to donate.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:15 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,195,578 times
Quote:

at one time I worked at a cancer center and I can reassure you that yes-the donated hair is definitely put to great use!!!! I have donated to Locks Of Love. Call a salon and ask and if your preferred salon doesn't participate-you can mail the hair yourself.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,829 times
Thank you all for the advice and help. We do not have a hair salon since my daughter enjoys experimenting on her own hair by cutting it herself. I do not suppose we would be able to cut it off ourselves would we? I know if she needed me to do it I would probably just mess it up. Would they still take it if it wasn't straight lol?

I guess I was hoping there was some sort of charity event where they would cut the hair for free in exchange for the donations but since it will be a lot shorter she should probably go to a stylist so it will look nice.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 17,103,039 times
I'm not a fan of Locks of Love at all. Go with Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program if you actually want to benefit people with cancer. You can mail your hair to them directly and the American Cancer Society helps distribute them at no cost to the family dealing with cancer. Admittedly, I'm biased - I almost got a wig from Beautiful Lengths when I was diagnosed with cancer at 23 before I decided that it would be too hot and itchy. Donation Requirements

Locks of Love is problematic because they don't ever correct the assumption that their wigs benefit kids with cancer. LoL assists kids with long-term hair loss and cancer does not count. Kids with ALOPECIA or BURNS can BUY wigs on a sliding scale. Now, that's still a worthy cause, don't get me wrong, but I know of many people who have held full on Locks of Love drives in honor of a relative or friend with cancer having no idea that cancer has little to do with their mission. Only a handful of kids with cancer qualify, and that's only if they have hair loss as a result of radiation (which can be permanent, in contrast with chemo's temporary hair loss). LoL also ends up throwing away or selling much of the hair they receive. Some reports say that 80% of hair is not used for wigs. Again, I have no problem with that as the organization needs to keep the lights on and employees paid, and not all hair is usable, but I would like that to be clearer in Locks of Love's materials.

Another org is Wigs for Kids, which gives wigs free of cost to children with any kind of hair loss. I'm less familiar with them than Beautiful Lengths, but they're another good alternative! HOME

Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 PM

36,494 posts, read 44,687,155 times
This is the most recent news about Lock of Love I found when I googled.
What You Need to Know about Locks of Love | Female Intel

So what's the big deal if some hair is sold to pay the bills?
What's the big deal if they have to discard some because it is not healthy enough or the right length or was not collected correctly?

And permanent or long term hair loss means no hope. Custom wigs are expensive to make. It's not just the cost of the hair...it's the skill needed to properly make a good wig from real hair. I would rather my donated hair go to a child who is faced with never regrowing her (or his) hair for many years. Yes I have lots of compassion for cancer-stricken children who may temporarily lose their hair due to treatment. No kid wants to be stared at because they are different. But if there is a limited number of wigs to be made for disadvantaged children I think the child who has no hope of ever regrowing hair should be bumped to the head of the line. Those expensive custom fitted wigs will be useless to a child who is happy to have her hair come in after treatments and would probably be discarded or stuck in the back of the closet.

But there will always be plenty of hair for charity. It's just finding the right charity each donor feels is the best fit for their sympathies or goals. It's like any giving. We need to do our due diligence before we make contributions.

Every 2.5 years my daughter donates her beautiful hair to Locks of Love. She is Korean and her hair is beautiful and healthy. She started this when she was 15 and she is now 31. She was told Asian hair is in demand because not many are willing to have the necessary amount cut off. Think about it...how many Asian women or little girls have you seen with short hair?

We were concerned when we first heard some rumors about Locks of Love but after doing some reading she decided it was still the best charity for her. There are other charities to donate hair for cancer patients too.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 17,103,039 times
I don't know, not having hair versus not having a 5th (or 15th, or 25th) birthday isn't really a difficult choice for me. At all. I distinctly remember thinking how lucky I am to be Jewish so I would automatically have a closed casket funeral because I would look like a naked mole rat if my cancer killed me. Because of the relatively short time one loses hair due to cancer, many people can't justify the cost for a wig. Someone with alopecia can have a wig for years and years which makes it worthwhile to purchases. For a year? Maybe two? Something many families have to decide isn't worth it, which can make life for someone who is already very sick even harder.

I'm particularly frustrated with Locks of Love because of the number of friends and coworkers who donated after I lost my hair. They thought they were doing something in honor of me due to Locks of Love's marketing materials. They weren't. I'm very happy that the hair went to kids who need it, but I also would have much rather it went to kids suffering from what I was suffering from.

Like I said - alopecia is absolutely a worthwhile cause. I would just like Locks of Love to work harder at driving awareness for that rather than make people think they were giving to a cause that helps kids with cancer.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:43 AM

12,478 posts, read 15,195,578 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice and help. We do not have a hair salon since my daughter enjoys experimenting on her own hair by cutting it herself. I do not suppose we would be able to cut it off ourselves would we? I know if she needed me to do it I would probably just mess it up. Would they still take it if it wasn't straight lol?

I guess I was hoping there was some sort of charity event where they would cut the hair for free in exchange for the donations but since it will be a lot shorter she should probably go to a stylist so it will look nice.

you rubberband the hair, making sure the length needed to donate is taken into account. Then snip below the band. All the hair. At one time. That's how mine was done and friends who I was with when they had theirs cut in order to donate.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 AM

36,494 posts, read 44,687,155 times
NO NO NO--YOU CUT IT ABOVE THE RUBBER BAND. tHE WHOLE POINT IS TO KEEP THE HAIR CONTAINED WHEN YOU SHIP IT OFF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfru6wha_38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness