Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:32 AM

546 posts, read 405,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Here's the truth. A willing alcoholic who really wants help, we can do no wrong. But for the unwilling alcoholic, we can do no right.

Don't tell me I don't know you. I've seen the likes of you since before the internet. I've been seek8ng recovery for 31 years. And you?
More double talk and circular reasoning. If someone doesn't succeed in AA, their adherents say they weren't will, weren't "real alcoholics" or are chronically incapable of being honest with themselves. If someone stops drinking on their own, they're not "real alcoholics".

"It works if you work it" i.e. if it fails, it's your fault for not working it.

There is no room for the idea that AA itself is the failure, in the minds of its pure believers.

31 years seeking recovery? Sad, if you ask me.

My issues were addressed and are over. I can use the term "recovered" in the past tense.

I can indeed tell you you don't know me, and it's exceedingly arrogant and presumptuous of you to put all people who see through the fallacies of AA into the "the likes of you" box.

Indeed, using a phrase like that makes me think you have some resentments to address. Looks like your higher power left you with at least one defect of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Maybe before blurting something like that, next time you should try Google first:

Scripps Research Institute Scientists Link Alcohol-Dependence Gene to Neurotransmitter

https://ncadd.org/for-parents-overvi...y-and-genetics

A gene mutation for excessive alcohol drinking found - Press Office - Newcastle University

Alcohol Consumption and Genetics | Psych Central

While I'm not sure you could call alcoholism a disease.......there is certainly enough evidence to prove that there is a genetic predisposition to addictive behavior. Picking up a drink is a choice but how you respond to alcohol is not.
That is just a copout to allow drunks to continue their destructive behavior.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,891,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
My husband drinks that and it bothers me. I asked him to cut down or stop and he won't. I've been told (by drinkers) that it isn't a lot. But I think it is?
It IS a lot. Your husband could be my brother-in-law. After a lifetime of drinking this heavily, he looks 30 years older than he is, has debilitating illnesses and pretty much lives in his easy chair hooked up to oxygen. Except when he leaves the house each morning to pick up his bottle.

Living with an alcoholic is not going to get better; it just gets worse.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,712,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It IS a lot. Your husband could be my brother-in-law. After a lifetime of drinking this heavily, he looks 30 years older than he is, has debilitating illnesses and pretty much lives in his easy chair hooked up to oxygen. Except when he leaves the house each morning to pick up his bottle.

Living with an alcoholic is not going to get better; it just gets worse.

This thread is getting to be a sea of confusion, but, this is true............Worse days are ahead so buckle up sister or exit the vehicle while you can.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
Indeed, using a phrase like that makes me think you have some resentments to address. Looks like your higher power left you with at least one defect of character.
Yep, it seems to me that it is time for him to revisit the fourth step.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,962,920 times
I'm not going to argue that the amount stated in the first post is drinking more than ideal for health, and if it's accompanied by troubling behavior it's absolutely a problem, but I feel like I should point out...

750ml is approximately 50 oz. That's 7oz a day.

If that's the actual amount he's drinking, he should cut down and consider help if he can't, but some of you are acting like this is drinking of legendary proportions, which it isn't even close to.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I'm not going to argue that the amount stated in the first post is drinking more than ideal for health, and if it's accompanied by troubling behavior it's absolutely a problem, but I feel like I should point out...

750ml is approximately 50 oz. That's 7oz a day.

If that's the actual amount he's drinking, he should cut down and consider help if he can't, but some of you are acting like this is drinking of legendary proportions, which it isn't even close to.
Yes, it is approximately 4.5 shots a day. Unless he is knocking them back one after another, this doesn't seem highly excessive to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:30 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
31 years of seeking recovery is sad?

How so?

Sober 11+ years now, happy, great wife, nice home, love my career. What did I miss?

I need to go back and blame A.A. that I didn't get sober back when I was 18?

I'll have to get right on that.

BTW, I'm a recovered alcoholic, am sponsor-free, am not sponsoring anybody, am not powerless over alcohol at all, and am looking to walk away from A.A. now.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,712,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
31 years of seeking recovery is sad?

How so?

Sober 11+ years now, happy, great wife, nice home, love my career. What did I miss?

I need to go back and blame A.A. that I didn't get sober back when I was 18?

I'll have to get right on that.

BTW, I'm a recovered alcoholic, am sponsor-free, am not sponsoring anybody, am not powerless over alcohol at all, and am looking to walk away from A.A. now.

Don't you mean recovering? Nobody is ever fully recovered from this.......you always walk that line. I used to go to AA with my husband and there was a speaker that slipped after 50 years of sobriety.....

Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,193,291 times
yeah, that's excessive, but not an ungodly amount. my mother weighed all but 100 pounds and would go through 3 1.75L bottles of vodka a week. she drank it like water. it was a terrible life living with that nonsense as a teenager. looking back at it now, I am amazed she is even alive now...not without consequence though. she's had a massive avalanche of health problems.

hell, even I would polish off a handle of rum in about a weeks time for a year or two after high school. then I eventually woke up and thought that maybe I should cut down a bit.(or a lot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness