U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,084 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am a mother of three children and have been cronically ill for over 13yrs.
I am married and am 35 yrs. old and just wondering if there are others who may have some encouragement, questions, dialogue of any kind is fine. It seems as though health problems become family problems after a while. No matter what happens I am greatful for the everyday small victories, and am still looking forward to finishing college and getting better. I am also new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyones contributions it can be a riot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2006, 08:43 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Reputation: 29922
I'm sorry to hear about your illness. I read this today and thought I would share it with you:
Trials keep you strong
Sorrows keep you human
Failures keep you humble
Success keeps you glowing
But only God keeps you going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Smile Chin up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassrootmom View Post
I am a mother of three children and have been cronically ill for over 13yrs.
I am married and am 35 yrs. old and just wondering if there are others who may have some encouragement, questions, dialogue of any kind is fine. It seems as though health problems become family problems after a while. No matter what happens I am greatful for the everyday small victories, and am still looking forward to finishing college and getting better. I am also new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyones contributions it can be a riot.
I love NC's always got great encouragement I can tell you, though your path is rockier than mine, I've walked a path full of sharp pebbles these past 9 months. I got a bronchial infection that I ignored thinking vitamins and stuff would get me better. Well, it didn't. Instead I ended up with pneumonia so severe I had about a day and a half before I was scheduled to meet my Maker when I finally threw myself on the mercy of the Emergency room. I hate doctors and hadn't been to see one (except skin cancer in-office stuff) since 1985 when I had to get a medical ok when my naval term ended. I hadn't been in a hospital since my appendix was removed in 1969 when I was 6. I was literally exhausted from lack of air supply just going from my bed to the bathroom. Taking the shower to make sure I was clean and getting shaved , putting clean underclothes on and getting ready before driving to the hospital that day took me two full hours with frequent rest breaks as I thought I'd collapse. I had almost 2 liters ( a Boss sized Coke container) of fluid taken just from my right lung by a tube inserted through my back into my lung with a spigot on it. I could actually feel the liquid being drained. I was on a month of such strong antibiotics that they made me p o o p (censored word, hence the spacing!) bowling balls. I needed a veritable butt episiotomy That sonic boom they could never figure out coming from somewhere in Southwestern Missouri in May was MoMark screaming in agony on the pot.(ok...I admit I can't imagine the pain of childbirth...I'm a man...but...those bowel movements had me thinkin' I was pretty close on the pain index!!) In any event, I've always been incredibly healthy. And the doctors at the hospital took the opportunity to measure every element and mineral in my body, as well as my blood pressure, I got my heart imaged to make sure it was ok (that with the goop stuff smeared on my chest with a cold thing that runs over the goo and causes a sonogram type of image on a monitor. I was grossed out and fascinated at the same time watching my heart kick.). Anyway, blood pressure amazingly good at 110/70, heart in perfect order, blood sugars completely normal, none of the stuff that men going into middle age usually exhibit. But, it's taken me MONTHS to get my strength back and I don't have to sit down to catch my breath anymore to go from the front door to the mailbox 2 acres down at the end of my driveway. It's been so difficult having to deal with a body/health issue as i'm used to going 200mph and being unstoppable. It's made me grateful for being alive and people prayed for me. I'll pray for you too. God listens. I know He does because I asked him point blank to save my life and I know he heard my prayer. I also know that other Christians praying for me to Jesus helped because I felt the improvement. I will pray for you. Few things are instant, but just know He and we are looking out for ya

Last edited by MoMark; 11-08-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2006, 09:38 AM
 
46 posts, read 180,416 times
Reputation: 23
MO MARK- You know my family had the same problem last month. My 14 year old son was running a fever and I took him in to the doctor. He had bronchial infection. My son said his friend from school had just got over pneumonia. My son had just spent a couple day's at his house.
Anyways...My husband started feeling ill and had the fever all night. He went to the doctor and found out he had pneumonia. One lung completely full and just spreading to the other. My husband was weak for weeks. I hear you about not liking to go to the doctor I am the same way. The only time I have been the hospital is to have a baby(4 times).If it was up to me I would of been out of there within an hour but I got stuck in there for 3 days each time. God Bless. I will pray for Grassroot mom too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsixpack View Post
MO MARK- You know my family had the same problem last month. My 14 year old son was running a fever and I took him in to the doctor. He had bronchial infection. My son said his friend from school had just got over pneumonia. My son had just spent a couple day's at his house.
Anyways...My husband started feeling ill and had the fever all night. He went to the doctor and found out he had pneumonia. One lung completely full and just spreading to the other. My husband was weak for weeks. I hear you about not liking to go to the doctor I am the same way. The only time I have been the hospital is to have a baby(4 times).If it was up to me I would of been out of there within an hour but I got stuck in there for 3 days each time. God Bless. I will pray for Grassroot mom too!
Boxsixpack...I know I'm not right to compare pneumonia with other people's illnesses. There are so many different battles people fight that are truly horrible and almost unbearable to survive through or live with. In my own life though, this has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters. You can't eat, so lose too much weight, you can't sleep because no position is comfortable. You can't lift or do anything that causes exertion because there is no stamina...and bottom line, you can't breathe which is the most horrible sensation I've ever felt. Few things scare me, but that scared me badly...and, it's a sensation and condition you can't escape from. I'm glad your family has recovered so quickly!!! For whatever reason, I got lung damage from it and was coughing up actual lung lining. It looks like a bloody No-Pest Strip. Maybe I was extra vulnerable from years of smoking though I'd stopped the previous year. Anyway, it's taken me months to recover and I'm still coughing sometimes. I'm glad your guys made it through ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2006, 10:14 PM
 
Location: West Central Florida
278 posts, read 717,020 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassrootmom View Post
I am a mother of three children and have been cronically ill for over 13yrs.
I am married and am 35 yrs. old and just wondering if there are others who may have some encouragement, questions, dialogue of any kind is fine. It seems as though health problems become family problems after a while. No matter what happens I am greatful for the everyday small victories, and am still looking forward to finishing college and getting better. I am also new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyones contributions it can be a riot.
Hang in there, grassrootsmom, you have to take it one day at a time, some days will be good, some not so good, but try and keep positive thoughts in your head. I really believe positive mental attitude can help overcome some things, and I know that some days it's not easy to be positive, but that's when you take some time to pamper yourself a little more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 PM
 
Location: West Central Florida
278 posts, read 717,020 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I love NC's always got great encouragement I can tell you, though your path is rockier than mine, I've walked a path full of sharp pebbles these past 9 months. I got a bronchial infection that I ignored thinking vitamins and stuff would get me better. Well, it didn't. Instead I ended up with pneumonia so severe I had about a day and a half before I was scheduled to meet my Maker when I finally threw myself on the mercy of the Emergency room. I hate doctors and hadn't been to see one (except skin cancer in-office stuff) since 1985 when I had to get a medical ok when my naval term ended. I hadn't been in a hospital since my appendix was removed in 1969 when I was 6. I was literally exhausted from lack of air supply just going from my bed to the bathroom. Taking the shower to make sure I was clean and getting shaved , putting clean underclothes on and getting ready before driving to the hospital that day took me two full hours with frequent rest breaks as I thought I'd collapse. I had almost 2 liters ( a Boss sized Coke container) of fluid taken just from my right lung by a tube inserted through my back into my lung with a spigot on it. I could actually feel the liquid being drained. I was on a month of such strong antibiotics that they made me p o o p (censored word, hence the spacing!) bowling balls. I needed a veritable butt episiotomy That sonic boom they could never figure out coming from somewhere in Southwestern Missouri in May was MoMark screaming in agony on the pot.(ok...I admit I can't imagine the pain of childbirth...I'm a man...but...those bowel movements had me thinkin' I was pretty close on the pain index!!) In any event, I've always been incredibly healthy. And the doctors at the hospital took the opportunity to measure every element and mineral in my body, as well as my blood pressure, I got my heart imaged to make sure it was ok (that with the goop stuff smeared on my chest with a cold thing that runs over the goo and causes a sonogram type of image on a monitor. I was grossed out and fascinated at the same time watching my heart kick.). Anyway, blood pressure amazingly good at 110/70, heart in perfect order, blood sugars completely normal, none of the stuff that men going into middle age usually exhibit. But, it's taken me MONTHS to get my strength back and I don't have to sit down to catch my breath anymore to go from the front door to the mailbox 2 acres down at the end of my driveway. It's been so difficult having to deal with a body/health issue as i'm used to going 200mph and being unstoppable. It's made me grateful for being alive and people prayed for me. I'll pray for you too. God listens. I know He does because I asked him point blank to save my life and I know he heard my prayer. I also know that other Christians praying for me to Jesus helped because I felt the improvement. I will pray for you. Few things are instant, but just know He and we are looking out for ya
I also suffered a bad case of pneumonia back when I was only 26 and pregnant with my first son. It was brutal, I was on a respirator for 10 days, in intensive care, and after getting out of the hospital, it took a LONG time for me to recover. I didn't even get my voice back for about 3 months, and it sort of felt like I was breathing through a sponge for about a month. It was really scary and it really sucked, but me and my son (age 14 now) made it through OK. But man, that was a truly sucky period of my life!

Last edited by Callie_D; 11-09-2006 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,084 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your illness. I read this today and thought I would share it with you:
Trials keep you strong
Sorrows keep you human
Failures keep you humble
Success keeps you glowing
But only God keeps you going
Sorry it has taken me this long to reply, but the encouraging quote really blessed me thank you very much. I have had all three of my children sick in addition to myself it has been another imteresting week. You are right, only by the grace of God can we get thru the trials. God Bless:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,084 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I love NC's always got great encouragement I can tell you, though your path is rockier than mine, I've walked a path full of sharp pebbles these past 9 months. I got a bronchial infection that I ignored thinking vitamins and stuff would get me better. Well, it didn't. Instead I ended up with pneumonia so severe I had about a day and a half before I was scheduled to meet my Maker when I finally threw myself on the mercy of the Emergency room. I hate doctors and hadn't been to see one (except skin cancer in-office stuff) since 1985 when I had to get a medical ok when my naval term ended. I hadn't been in a hospital since my appendix was removed in 1969 when I was 6. I was literally exhausted from lack of air supply just going from my bed to the bathroom. Taking the shower to make sure I was clean and getting shaved , putting clean underclothes on and getting ready before driving to the hospital that day took me two full hours with frequent rest breaks as I thought I'd collapse. I had almost 2 liters ( a Boss sized Coke container) of fluid taken just from my right lung by a tube inserted through my back into my lung with a spigot on it. I could actually feel the liquid being drained. I was on a month of such strong antibiotics that they made me p o o p (censored word, hence the spacing!) bowling balls. I needed a veritable butt episiotomy That sonic boom they could never figure out coming from somewhere in Southwestern Missouri in May was MoMark screaming in agony on the pot.(ok...I admit I can't imagine the pain of childbirth...I'm a man...but...those bowel movements had me thinkin' I was pretty close on the pain index!!) In any event, I've always been incredibly healthy. And the doctors at the hospital took the opportunity to measure every element and mineral in my body, as well as my blood pressure, I got my heart imaged to make sure it was ok (that with the goop stuff smeared on my chest with a cold thing that runs over the goo and causes a sonogram type of image on a monitor. I was grossed out and fascinated at the same time watching my heart kick.). Anyway, blood pressure amazingly good at 110/70, heart in perfect order, blood sugars completely normal, none of the stuff that men going into middle age usually exhibit. But, it's taken me MONTHS to get my strength back and I don't have to sit down to catch my breath anymore to go from the front door to the mailbox 2 acres down at the end of my driveway. It's been so difficult having to deal with a body/health issue as i'm used to going 200mph and being unstoppable. It's made me grateful for being alive and people prayed for me. I'll pray for you too. God listens. I know He does because I asked him point blank to save my life and I know he heard my prayer. I also know that other Christians praying for me to Jesus helped because I felt the improvement. I will pray for you. Few things are instant, but just know He and we are looking out for ya
Bless your heart! sorry about the length of time for a reply. But i appreciate you sharing. Thank you for the prayers and I will add you to my prayer list also. I also used to be the one that got things done, never stop and loved doing everything at once. I believe I an still grieving then loos of that part of my life being gone. I have survived thru 2 major spine ops., 2 heart surgerys, a pituatary tumor, 3 complicated pegnancys, marriage trouble, a child popping into our lives my husband was unaware of and so on and so on. Just want to be healed and if not Gods will then finish college at least and of course be the best mother I can be. By the waymy sister has RAD's which has destroyed her lungs and I could not imagine having to fight for every breathe, I am glad you have recovered fully .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,084 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
Hang in there, grassrootsmom, you have to take it one day at a time, some days will be good, some not so good, but try and keep positive thoughts in your head. I really believe positive mental attitude can help overcome some things, and I know that some days it's not easy to be positive, but that's when you take some time to pamper yourself a little more!
Thank you! You are very correct about the one day at a time and the mental attitude. What's pampering lol I do battle severe depression because of all the tramatic health and other situations that have happened. I have absolutely found that keeping positive helps me cope with the day to day sickness and pain. I must tell you though there are times where I don't seem to have any fight left in me. But amazingly my Lord and Savior lifts me up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top