U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM

318 posts, read 1,367,257 times
Default Frequent Heartburn out of nowhere..

Within in the past couple of months, I started to get heartburn or acid reflux..I get the burning in my throat.. It started after a cold and had some stomach cramping with it...so I thought it was just part of the cold. Tums seemed to help ...when I would get the b urning I would take the tums and I would feel better.

Then it would go away for a couple days and then it came back again and stayed for a week. I thought that maybe stress was causing it...since I was getting ready to move. But I have been under worse stress before and not had this problem. Then it would go away again.I tried pepcid complete, but liked the tums better since I would get heartburn after taking pepcid and I couldn't take anything else at that point. With tums, i just popped them whenever it got bad.

Then I started to wonder if it was a new pms symptom? But I am not in my pms stage yet and had it yesterday and it's worse today. My stomach is kind of crampy and warm feeling. Actually , at times it does feel a little burning in my stomach, but not always burny. But I can feel it up in my chest and throat..the burning. I bought prilosec yesterday and decided to try that and see if that works. The problem is it might take a couple days to work..and I don't know if I can also take tums for the immediate heartburn??

Anyhow, I am trying to figure out what is going on? I know food can do it..but it seems weird not to have had a problem and then all of a sudden I do. I am also wondering if it could be because of Splenda????

Last week I didn't have splenda so I put regular sugar in my coffee..and last week I didn't have heartburn..but I started using it again in my coffee this weekend and now have heartburn again. IT could have nothing to do with it..but was wondering if anyone else has had this? Or maybe I am just getting old <I am 35> and can't handle things anymore!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:43 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,818,838 times
I had acid reflex, and I tried Tums, but it really didn't help. I even went off aspirin and that helped a lot, but what helped most was drinking RAW vinegar, NOT regular, about 1/2 T. to 1 T. in water along with honey to taste. The vinegar drink took away the heartburn. I am off tums, but I still don't use aspirin not unless I take it with a glass of vinegar/water/honey. I often just drank this when I ate and started to feel the burning, or even before, and if I had it when I felt the pains I would just drink enough to get rid of them. It is something that you have to play around with.

It could be the splenda, and if so you would have to not use it and see what happens. Coffee without cream can also bother my stomach.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-17-2008 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM

10,117 posts, read 10,182,077 times
Good advice, jessaka.

Jenne, do a search of this topic on acid reflux and GERD. There may be some helpful information there for you, as it's been discussed before. It does appear that acid reflux is a result of not enough acidity for good digestion, and antacids will only help temporarily by suppressing the symptom, not taking care of the problem.

TUMS are helpful, but really not good for you in the long term. Same with Splenda. It's just another name for nutrasweet, etc. The body doesn't process these sweeteners well, and they can create problems. Do a google search on nutrasweet, and see all that comes up.

Always, before trying to self-diagnose or self-treat, no matter how good the advice from others, check with a doctor to make sure you know what's really going on.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM

That was a good post, southward. I remember going to my doctor for the problem and having him tell me it was acid reflux, and he gave me some Nexium. I got headaches from that and my stomach hurt, so i went off of it after 3 days, and it took a while for the vinegar/water to cure the problem again. I had it almost cured when I went to him, and he said, this drug will take care of it the rest of the way. NOT. I seldom have to take the Raw vinegar/water solution anymore. So after getting the doctor to confirm what you have, if that is what you wish to do, you may want to try the vinegar first or try it anyway. It is good for you and has been recommended by natural health people for years, only they say to take 3 glasses of this water/vinegar a day for other reasons as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,684,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Good advice, jessaka.

Same with Splenda. It's just another name for nutrasweet, etc. The body doesn't process these sweeteners well, and they can create problems. Do a google search on nutrasweet, and see all that comes up.

Always, before trying to self-diagnose or self-treat, no matter how good the advice from others, check with a doctor to make sure you know what's really going on.

Splenda is made from sugar. Its not nutrasweet or sacharin. I agree though-talk to your doctor.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

318 posts, read 1,367,257 times
Thanks everyone..I will try the vinegar for sure..I had heard vinegar was very good for you.

I know I definitely have to talk to my doctor..but bleh..i just can't stand going ..I have had some issues with some doctors..I had lyme disease..or I should say..have lyme but it is in remission and has been for years..but the doctors basically told me I was crazy. I have gone to the doctor before and told them something was wrong..my back ached real bad and I felt very weird..I was sent home and told I probably had a muscle strain. I went back and said ...no, there is something wrong..again with the muscle strain. I went back and almost fainted in their office, got sent to the hospital, found out I was pregnant and was having an ectopic pregnancy.

So basically I don't like having to go to my doctor unless it is necessary. Of course i know not all doctors are like that..but I just have had some doozies!

I have heard this is a common problem..so wanted to see if anyone else has had this and if it had gone away..

I also had an issue with my bile duct valve..i think that is what its called. If i remember, it wasn't opening wide enough. They took out the gall bladder, because supposedly in most cases it helps the valve. If I still had problems, then they would put a pin in...but a nurse friend advised me against that. She has seen bad pancreas problems and constant pain associated with it. So I just live with some pain here and there. It isn't bad..it is where my gall bladder used to be and I will feel it with meat like steak. So I avoid it. But, I didn't know if that could cause heartburn ??

Where do you get raw vinegar? I will give that a shot. I think I will try going off Splenda and just using a little reg. sugar. I have looked it up and saw that splenda is causing gas and bloating in a lot of people.I don't take aspirin..so that won't be a factor. I do take ibuprofen but also heard that can cause some problems ..so I take it far less than i used. I thought maybe my heartburn and ibuprofen were related.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM

10,117 posts, read 10,182,077 times
It sounds like you're being thoughtful and reasonable in your approach. I know what you mean about doctors. It's not easy to find a doctor who is willing to take the time to listen, and then work with you. It's always important to remember that WE must be in charge of our own health, and not yield to the doctor without questioning and understanding the whys and wherefores of what he's recommending. Done diplomatically, we can often guide our care in the direction we want to go, if we know what that is. Research. Research. Research. The more knowledge we have, the better we can discuss our care with the doctors. That's where a forum like this is so very valuable. Others' experience can be extremely valuable to us, and I appreciate all the people who share.

Raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's and I hear it is considered the best by many - read that in this forum!) is available in a health food store. Keep it refrigerated after opening. It will last a long time, too! I don't take it all the time, but don't have to worry about it spoiling. It gets a bit cloudy, but just shake it up good. Make sure it's apple cider vinegar.

I was on acid reducers for several years, now don't need them at all anymore. I'd wish everyone success in getting off as much medication as they can (again, with a physician's guidance).

As for Splenda, I read that they were being sued for false advertising soon after it came on the market for using the slogan "made from sugar" because it really isn't. Check the active ingredient, then compare it to nutrasweet. I would urge you to Google the stuff before you use it in any significant amount. A neighbor of mine really screwed up her system by using it, according to her doctor. Maybe that's an unsual case, I don't know.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,244,116 times
Jenne-I had acid reflux for years-severe attacks. Last year I went to an ENT for sinus headaches and he did a throat probe. I had 2 polyps that he wanted to remove. Of course I procrastinated and went this past Oct. He did the surgery and he was in shock-it wasn't 2 put many and they were blocking my windpipe. He said I could have asphyxiated at any time. They were caused by the acid reflux. I have to take Achphex morning and evenings and it has helped.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM

2,166 posts, read 5,222,196 times
Splenda may be made from sugar but it has been tampered with and chemicals added. It is to new out on the market and hasn't proven itself to me so I won't touch it! The time I did try it, I found it way to sweet and so bitter I couldn't stand it. I would do a week on splenda, a week off, rotate it and make note of rather you have that acid reflux and when. If you only have it on the week of Splenda and not on the sugar, then you have your answer.

Coffeemate is also known to cause a lot of people indigestion.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 AM

If you don't have a health food store you can go on line for it.

Bragg Live Foods & Health Books - Pioneering Health Since 1912

I started a thread for you on Splenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness