U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 12:34 PM

4,537 posts, read 4,290,798 times

Advertisements

In addition to the above, make sure that your under things are completely dry when you put them on. If you are drying clothing on clotheslines in humid weather, they may not be getting totally dry. Either use a clothes dryer or wait to do laundry when it's dry and sunny.

Damp underclothing and sweat greatly adds to the problems!

I've had good luck with Gold Bond powder, as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,622,176 times
This is a common issue in running Girl Talk: Embarrassing Running Problems | ACTIVE

Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 AM

152 posts, read 112,767 times
Ok, you need to wear sports bras or cotton bras to cover that area while awake. You can use antibiotic ointment if it starts to turn red/ooze, line bra with paper towels. If this doesn't work, you may need to use monistat cream there. If you eat yogurt daily, you may have fewer problems with this as it causes PH change that reduces amount of bacteria. Athlete's foot spray can help but may sting like a dickens so just experiment.

At waist time, called an apron, you can use regular deodorant.

Baby powder is advisable in all areas. Corn starch powders get good results for some.

Shower everyday, especially after workout. Keep dry.

If you get skin blisters from chemicals, called contact dematitus, use of desoximetasone .05% will get rid of blisters. This causes skin thinning as it has steroidal chemicals. YOu need to find out what is causing the blisters so eliminate all products except bar soap during warm weather, reintroducing one thing at a time until the rash returns. I found out anti-bacterial soaps during cold weather caused the problem for me. A switch to bar soap, and problem is almost gone but I cannot do a lot of dishes multiple times a day. Trying to wear gloves just cooks my skin and blisters return...I'm not cut out to work at Subway ever...

Only take a job in dry environment if you have this kind of skin or your hands may gangrene.

If you lost a lot of weight, the hanging skin will be a problem. If you are still in process of losing weight, slowing down weight loss will help skin snap back as will keeping the area moisturized. Your health insurance may pay for surgery to have skin removed if you can get note from dermatologist showing the extra skin is causing infections...

Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM

5,902 posts, read 10,382,356 times
I'm rereading all the posts after my initial query. One poster mentioned that if it smelled, it was likely a fungal infection. It does smell, and I'm wondering if instead of using something for vaginal infections if I should use an anti-fungal like for athlete's foot. In any case, it's so annoying!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 AM

34,209 posts, read 32,493,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'm rereading all the posts after my initial query. One poster mentioned that if it smelled, it was likely a fungal infection. It does smell, and I'm wondering if instead of using something for vaginal infections if I should use an anti-fungal like for athlete's foot. In any case, it's so annoying!
It is more than likely a yeast infection so best to use the ointment for yeast infections.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 AM

10,137 posts, read 16,007,804 times
Quote:
You can get a prescription from your doctor if the OTC stuff isn't clearing it up. But first, buy a bottle of this soap: Home Retail - HIBICLENS® and use it once a day for a week. Let the rash dry completely after you wash it and use a medicated body powder that does not contain corn starch...corn starch just feeds the infection and can make it a lot worse. If it doesn't improve a lot with a week of that treatment, then see a doctor.

The main difference between athlete's foot sprays and vaginal yeast creams for treating this kind of rash is that the sprays will burn like hell when you use them on the rash, and the vaginal creams are formulated to be less irritating to delicate, inflamed skin. Neither one will be effective if you aren't cleaning the area very well each time you apply the medicine. I dealt with this problem for years and even now after I've lost a lot of weight, I still have some excess skin and am prone to rashes during the warmer months. Washing with hibiclens and using gold bond powder in the skin folds really helps to prevent rashes from starting. The powder will keep the skin dry and the rash has to be wet in order to spread. I also have a tube of nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide ointment that I use at the first sign of a rash starting...that was a prescription and it works really quickly. Another prescription I've had for those rashes was Nystop powder, which worked but not as fast and was more expensive.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:30 PM

5,902 posts, read 10,382,356 times
Thanks. Okay. Here's another question regarding the vaginal creams like Monistat. When I went to purchase it the other day, I only say these tube things which I assumed were for insertion. Do they sell it in another format, or do you have to somehow get it out of those tube?

As for using powder, I was using Gold Bond Cornstarch with Baby Powder. I just looked at the bottle and see that it's 79% cornstarch. I guess I should be using regular Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Will look at the ingredients before I make another purchase. These things add up quickly!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

1,538 posts, read 769,500 times
Check everything out on the shelves regarding fungal infections. Some are the applicators used with the tub of cream. Others are the tube with the vaginal suppository.
I just dealt with all of those issues myself. From Sept 14' to Jan 15'. It was painful and uncomfortable, and two or three weeks in there I couldn't wear bras nor panties. Nor clothes. I was stuck wearing the tube dress beach wear...in November!!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 PM

18,750 posts, read 48,898,840 times
Get the version with the big tube and re-usable applicator.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 16,007,804 times
Quote:
Thanks. Okay. Here's another question regarding the vaginal creams like Monistat. When I went to purchase it the other day, I only say these tube things which I assumed were for insertion. Do they sell it in another format, or do you have to somehow get it out of those tube?

As for using powder, I was using Gold Bond Cornstarch with Baby Powder. I just looked at the bottle and see that it's 79% cornstarch. I guess I should be using regular Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Will look at the ingredients before I make another purchase. These things add up quickly!
Walmart's version of Gold Bond Medicated powder is about $3 and it works great. Don't put any more cornstarch on your rash, even if you're not going to buy more powder right away, cornstarch will only make it worse.

If you really want to use Monistat on the rash, look for the cheapest generic one, which is usually a big tube of cream and some applicators that you're supposed to fill...make sure the box doesn't say prefilled applicators or suppositories or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness