Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Traditionally if you don't over-eat and gain too much weight, your baby should not go about 7lbs then you should be able to push the baby out fine. Today too many women are too over weight during pregnancy which cause their baby to get too big.
Unlucky me. My weight gain was normal, but I am tall and my family makes big babies. My son was also born in Colorado Springs, and my doc said babies born at higher altitude tend to be bigger. (He was 9 lbs 12 oz. and born a week early.) My husband was a second child and something like 11 pounds. His poor mom.

The American population is getting taller, so babies are only going to get longer. Heavier too, as you point out. We'll be seeing more drugs, not fewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I wanted to de-medicalize my pregnancy and childbirth as much as possible, within reason and after some reading. My feeling was that millions of woman had babies without drugs, and I could do so also. I choose a nurse midwife associated with a doctor for prenatal care. There were tests that she recommended, discussing the pros/cons of each and which I did. There were other tests which she left up to me such as ultrasounds. Only had one with two kids because the due date was pretty iffy.

After doing a lot of reading on epidurals and the potential risks (including necessitating additional drugs and not being able to get out of bed) I decided to go drug free. First baby was a drug free birth. Second baby was drug free through labor and pushing for a few hours. After 3 hours of pushing without progress (and trying lots of things), I had an emergency C-section with a spinal. He was wrapped up in his cord so started to show signs of distress. It was the right choice, and I feel like I got to experience both types of birth.

C-section recovery was far worse. And for those that say you forget the pain, I say no you don't. I still remember the pain of my first one moving down the birth canal.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I had three deliveries with epidurals, and no complications with any of them.

I've heard many, many women say, in effect: "I had an epidural with my first baby. It was a long labor and the recovery was rough. So I had my subsequent baby/babies without epidural. The 'natural' delivery was much faster and recovery was faster too. This proves that epidurals are bad."

Well, guess what. Barring other factors (major difference in size of babies, breech or face-up presentation), the second delivery is pretty much always easier and faster than the first! It's easier because your body has done it before. As I said, I had epidurals all three times. The pushing phase lasted 1.5 hours with the first baby, less than 5 minutes with the second and third. They basically just slid out, which would NEVER have happened with the first baby. Plus, I was much more sore from the first delivery and took longer to recover than with the subsequent ones.

Personally, I loooooved the epidural.

By the way, all my babies were between 8 lb 3 oz and 8 lb 10 oz, and I did NOT gain "too much weight" (I weighed 160 lb at my most pregnant...many women these days wish they could start pregnancy at 160). That is just the size of babies I make. The idea that all women should be having 7-lb. babies is hogwash.

Last edited by saibot; 04-29-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I really don't understand the women who want to give birth without medicine. What in the world would make them want to do it "naturally"? What's so great about having to bear the pain that nature gives you instead of trying to escape it?
Because it was MY choice to make. I prefer to have the least amount of chemicals and interference with the natural rhythms of the human body. But I did try an epidural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
... They all said "get the epidural, you won't feel a thing!" So I did. I had a lot of trouble with it. The epidural was extremely painful for me. (I still have pain in that area at times.) I had "back labor" and the epidural did nothing to take the pain away. My doctor finally sat down and looked me in the eyes. "I don't know who told you this wouldn't hurt, but they were wrong! This is childbirth. It hurts!" Yikes.

Two and a half years later, when I arrived at the hospital, I asked the doctor if I had to get the epidural. He said it was my choice. I had no idea we had choices in these things! (Like I said. Young and naive, and no internet!) All I had was some demerol. No epidural, and it was a lot easier for me. My niece had hers at a birthing center, completely natural. She labored in a bathtub with her husband and her best friend (who was a doula) and was amazing. She's expecting #2, and I'm sure she'll do the same thing.

What I don't like is the implication that what you're doing is wrong. I think women need to be supportive of each other. Everyone has the right to choose how they give birth, feed their babies, diaper their babies, raise their babies, etc. I really think the Mommy Wars are horrible.
Same here, I got an epidural with my first, I was in so much pain and the hospital refused to allow me to walk or even stand while in labor. I'm pretty sure now that part of the pain was because of the fact I was "tied" to a bed for 12 hours. I was physically tied, but with the baby monitoring I could only turn a bit to one side and it didn't help. Well, the epidural didn't take, but did numb one leg, not the other, so I was still in a lot of pain.

Second baby, I delayed going to the hospital until the very last minute. I couldn't bear the though of being in a bed for the labor. So I stayed home, walked, got in the tub and got to the hospital 1 hour before delivering... I was 7 cm dilated when I arrived. They also insisted in me laying down, which is not the way the human body works, but I only did it at the end, some 40 minutes.

Third one, there was no way I was going to an hospital. Lucky me, we've moved to a different state with less laws in the books and I gave birth in a birthing center in a big bathtub. That experience was great. There was pain, but I could manage it, the warm water relaxes you and I gave birth kneeling.

There wasn't more babies, but I'd have more in the same way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Male managed childbirth leaves much to be desired. I am 5'2", and delivered a 9 lb boy for the second birth.
A womans body is engineered to give birth in a squatting position...not laying flat on her back with her legs spread wide.
I would encourage a man to try to have a large BM that way...laying flat on his back with his legs spread wide. There is no way for the muscles to help that way.
Yes, pain happens during childbirth. But women also make hormones to help with that.

Hormones Driving Labor and Birth | Understanding & Navigating the Maternity Care System :: Childbirth Connection

Hormones of Labor and Birth

Part of the childbirth classes I attended taught us about how it all works, and works together.
Childbirth can be a rewarding experience, or a traumatic one. Every woman, and baby ...is different.
Agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Traditionally if you don't over-eat and gain too much weight, your baby should not go about 7lbs then you should be able to push the baby out fine. Today too many women are too over weight during pregnancy which cause their baby to get too big.
Genetics also play a role here. I wasn't over weight for any of my deliveries and my kids were all over 8 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I wanted to de-medicalize my pregnancy and childbirth as much as possible, within reason and after some reading. My feeling was that millions of woman had babies without drugs, and I could do so also.
Exactly what I think!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yeah, thats why i dont have sympathy for women when people throw out the old "women have to give birth" blanket statement...its not a nightmare for every woman. Some women enjoy pregnancy and some women even orgasm and experience pleasure during the birthing process. And if it is too painful for some, like you say, most can always get an epidural or a c-section, so it cant be all bad.
You must know some very unique women..... I've dealt with many pregnant women and very few are like the ones that you describe.

Sounds to me like rationalization to keep themselves sane. Or your own rationalization so you can continue to disrespect women and feel justified in doing so.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Why, oh why, do we continually argue about such ridiculous issues. Women have vastly different birth experiences, all of which are valid.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why, oh why, do we continually argue about such ridiculous issues. Women have vastly different birth experiences, all of which are valid.
So very true. I had 4 kids, all c-sections and all very different experiences with each one. One was not bad at all, one had me in pain for weeks, one didn't heal and I had to pack the wound...and on and on. Spinals not working, HELLP syndrome, gestational diabetes, complete previa...between the 4 of them the only thing I haven't done is have a vaginal delivery! LOL

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,423 times
Keeping in mind that what ever mom consumes, baby will too... I think that is the major concern of those who choose that route IMH.

It was my line of reason as well when my time came to give birth.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I had 3 births.

First one was induced. No meds. Not bad. 9+ pound baby.
Second one came FAST - I barely made it to hospital. No meds. 8+ pound baby.
Third one induced - no meds...wanted some at the end, but it was too late to get them. 8+ pound baby.

Each woman is different - labors differently, is built differently, had different pain thresholds and tolerances.

Each woman gets to decide what she wants to do.

One is not better than another...just a different choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I gave birth at Prentice Hospital downtown Chicago. I had the best experience ever. I was given an epidural, but it was attached to my spine like an IV. It was given to me in doses, and on demand. When I felt like I needed it I just pushed a button. I felt nothing what so ever. But my baby was still born in no time. I pushed once and she was out. It was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness