U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Griffin, Georgia
747 posts, read 1,733,287 times
Reputation: 704

Advertisements

Well, I know I need to provide a backstory in case any opthamologists/optomotrists are reading this...I have been near-sighted just about most of my life. In the second grade I was officially diagnosed and went straight into wearing eyeglasses. For awhile I attended "eye therapy" sessions weekly-that was fun at times...sorry, I digressed a little)

But apparently something has changed in thirty years. This has been occurring gradually over the past year (I think) I have gone from someone who wears glasses pretty much 24/7 (well, except for showering and sleeping) for my nearsightedness-to someone who finds it increasingly uncomfortable to make out the print of traditionally bound books every time I am wearing my spectacles. And every time I pick up a box or can at the supermarket, I cannot d*mn read the label with my glasses on. Frustrating, I know. I DO however need to wear my glasses to read print on the computer screen. I enjoy reading e-books, as the font size is nice and clear, at what looks like 14 or 16 pt. I'm referring to your standard paperback or hardcover bound book;

Case in point: I just got on of my books just now. Took off glasses. Got one of those hardware type measuring tapes and measured from eye level to book page at point of comfort. 7"

Put glasses back on. Did same thing with the tape measure. 11".

I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on. Yes, I did have an appointment to see my optometrist earlier this year (late January-when this issue WAS going on.) I brought a book with me and he did the tape measure maneuver too. We have had a pretty long doctor-patient rapport for 20 years or so. He gave me tests, drops, and did X-rays. The consensus: Nothing was wrong with me. He thought my glasses were a little scratched and the protective film was wearing off. (Apparently glasses too are not made to last these days for good) I had an allowance from my husband's insurance plan to get a new pair of glasses with the same lens strength with no out of pocket cost. That kept me satisfied for awhile, but I am still befuddled. A friend of mine who used to be an RN told me that it is possible that I am in a transition of becoming far-sighted. It's something that happens with age. I am 37 if anyone is curious. She's has had cataracts; doesn't think it's that. I wish it was something like becoming far-sighted. I don't want to engage in wishful thinking or anything; but if I had something serious like cataracts or the beginning stage of glaucoma, I would have found out by that appointment earlier; I would think.

I went to see an endocrinologist in the ATL area last December....He had no bad news, but apparently after a blood test it revealed positive C-peptide (that means type 2 diabetes, apparently ) Many of my kinfolk have Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes, so it's a roll of the dice with your gene pool.) Oh, and my husband's family too, has many diabetic members in it. I know that eye problems are related to this, sadly.

My career coach noticed my reading issues yesterday and strongly urged me to get a second opinion. She gave me a phone number for an eye clinic in my area...

What would YOU do? I hope there isn't something seriously wrong with me vision-wise
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,801 posts, read 18,555,963 times
Reputation: 24896
That happened to me before my diabetes was diagnosed...it seemed like I couldn't read up close and I couldn't read far away. I had a contact lens exam and it didn't help. I went back with the new lenses and she suggested reading glasses in addition to the contact lenses. That didn't help either. I just kind of gave up on being able to see well.

Then I was diagnosed with diabetes, started taking meds for it and eating lower carb, and after about three weeks my vision problems cleared up totally. Still needed my contact lenses of course, since I've worn them since the second grade, but all the weird blurry vision went away.

Have you had any other symptoms? Sleepiness, excessive sweating, weight gain?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,564 posts, read 52,972,911 times
Reputation: 18386
You're getting to the age to need bifocals. See an opthamologist to make sure no early diabetic changes are there. No optometrist or optician, they should not be checking something that can lead to blindness. But my bet is time for bifocals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Griffin, Georgia
747 posts, read 1,733,287 times
Reputation: 704
Second grade for you too huh? What a kwinky-dink

I recently downloaded a kindle ebook about natural, non surgical ways to improve your vision...I don't know if it was made with diabetics in mind, as I have it in my library and just started on it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,071 posts, read 2,729,188 times
Reputation: 9767
Default Vision problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Well, I know I need to provide a backstory in case any opthamologists/optomotrists are reading this...I have been near-sighted just about most of my life. In the second grade I was officially diagnosed and went straight into wearing eyeglasses. For awhile I attended "eye therapy" sessions weekly-that was fun at times...sorry, I digressed a little)

But apparently something has changed in thirty years. This has been occurring gradually over the past year (I think) I have gone from someone who wears glasses pretty much 24/7 (well, except for showering and sleeping) for my nearsightedness-to someone who finds it increasingly uncomfortable to make out the print of traditionally bound books every time I am wearing my spectacles. And every time I pick up a box or can at the supermarket, I cannot d*mn read the label with my glasses on. Frustrating, I know. I DO however need to wear my glasses to read print on the computer screen. I enjoy reading e-books, as the font size is nice and clear, at what looks like 14 or 16 pt. I'm referring to your standard paperback or hardcover bound book;

Case in point: I just got on of my books just now. Took off glasses. Got one of those hardware type measuring tapes and measured from eye level to book page at point of comfort. 7"

Put glasses back on. Did same thing with the tape measure. 11".

I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on. Yes, I did have an appointment to see my optometrist earlier this year (late January-when this issue WAS going on.) I brought a book with me and he did the tape measure maneuver too. We have had a pretty long doctor-patient rapport for 20 years or so. He gave me tests, drops, and did X-rays. The consensus: Nothing was wrong with me. He thought my glasses were a little scratched and the protective film was wearing off. (Apparently glasses too are not made to last these days for good) I had an allowance from my husband's insurance plan to get a new pair of glasses with the same lens strength with no out of pocket cost. That kept me satisfied for awhile, but I am still befuddled. A friend of mine who used to be an RN told me that it is possible that I am in a transition of becoming far-sighted. It's something that happens with age. I am 37 if anyone is curious. She's has had cataracts; doesn't think it's that. I wish it was something like becoming far-sighted. I don't want to engage in wishful thinking or anything; but if I had something serious like cataracts or the beginning stage of glaucoma, I would have found out by that appointment earlier; I would think.

I went to see an endocrinologist in the ATL area last December....He had no bad news, but apparently after a blood test it revealed positive C-peptide (that means type 2 diabetes, apparently ) Many of my kinfolk have Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes, so it's a roll of the dice with your gene pool.) Oh, and my husband's family too, has many diabetic members in it. I know that eye problems are related to this, sadly.

My career coach noticed my reading issues yesterday and strongly urged me to get a second opinion. She gave me a phone number for an eye clinic in my area...

What would YOU do? I hope there isn't something seriously wrong with me vision-wise
I agree that it might be time for bifocals. And I recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. I have had glaucoma surgery in both eyes along with cataract surgery at same time about 5 years ago. I attend a glaucoma support group monthly to learn how other people are doing and to hear of all the new findings in the quest for a cure (there is no cure for glaucoma presently).

Last December I had a total knee replacement surgery and was given oxychondrin (I'm never sure I'm spelling that right). Within a few weeks of taking that I had some "hallucinations"...... saw things that weren't there. I still have times when that happens. To the OP, have you had any of that medication recently? I can look at a picture that will take me a little time to recognize what it is. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he suggested it was hallucinations.

How long do these side effects last? And why is it that when medical people ask you what allergies/problems you have with medication and you tell them...... they still give it to you? I think I would rather deal with the pain for a while than be stuck with the visual problems. And I know that while other pain meds might not work as well, I would rather have them than the oxy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,670 posts, read 70,974,429 times
Reputation: 35837
As you age, you lose the ability to focus on demand on near and distant objects. This is because your lens in your eye loses flexibility. Muscles in your eye press on your soft jello-like lens, changing the focal length of light passing through it and landing on your retina. As the lens hardens with age and becomes more rigid, you can no longer change the focus to near and far viewing. When that occurs, your doctor says "You need bifocals", which are designed to change he focal length for you, so your eye doesn't need to.

Your young eyes could shift your vision from near to far and back again, just by changing the shape of the lens inside your eye. They can't do that anymore, because of the normal process of the aging of your body parts which (so far) do not last forever -- or even for a lifetime...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Griffin, Georgia
747 posts, read 1,733,287 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
and was given oxychondrin (I'm never sure I'm spelling that right).
Oxycontin, I think that's how it's spelled....you almost got it.. and no...isn't that one of the more "strong" painkillers? About the strongest thing I've taken is hydrocodone (10) for past back pain. (Luckily, we hope to get a new mattress soon with tax refund $$$ so we can say buh-bye to that hard-a** old thing that has been causing me so much pain, agony and grumpy mood Didn't want to play devil's advocate or anything....but oxycontin is pretty strong, yes? I heard the late Elizabeth Taylor may have taken it ...

The recommended clinic no longer has a vision department as I found out the day I called. bummer...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,071 posts, read 2,729,188 times
Reputation: 9767
Default Oxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Oxycontin, I think that's how it's spelled....you almost got it.. and no...isn't that one of the more "strong" painkillers? About the strongest thing I've taken is hydrocodone (10) for past back pain. (Luckily, we hope to get a new mattress soon with tax refund $$$ so we can say buh-bye to that hard-a** old thing that has been causing me so much pain, agony and grumpy mood Didn't want to play devil's advocate or anything....but oxycontin is pretty strong, yes? I heard the late Elizabeth Taylor may have taken it ...

The recommended clinic no longer has a vision department as I found out the day I called. bummer...
I believe your spelling is correct! The hydro is a generic of it, I think. I took the hydro but was not sure everyone would recognize that name. Oxy is definitely in the news more.

I understand your back situation, too. I have gone to chiropractors in the past, I feel good for a day or two, then back to the same old situation. I just use Tylenol. One thing about glaucoma, after surgery I was told to only use Tylenol. But since my ophthalmologist said it was OK to use hydro after knee replacement, I guess time changes that.

I have no idea why I have that reaction to those pain killers. A knee replacement is no picnic, at least in the first few days (as I am sure many other problems are). Apparently hydro is the choice of doctors and nurses to give us after a procedure. But I've "been there, done that" a couple of years ago and I knew what would happen if I took it.

Hope I never "have" to take it again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,801 posts, read 18,555,963 times
Reputation: 24896
Oxycontin and hydrocodone aren't the same thing...hydrocodone is Tylenol and codeine. Oxycontin is a name brand of oxycodone which is stronger than hydrocodone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Griffin, Georgia
747 posts, read 1,733,287 times
Reputation: 704
The slang term "hillbilly heroin" is used for one of these drugs, as it carries the risk of dependency....oxycontin? vicoden? Percocet? or morphine? I only know enough to stumble around here....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top