Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:39 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Evening bludevilz!

Can't say that I've done much research on the subject, but the source of my 'nugget' was my own doc at the time. I didn't have any reason to doubt her since exposure and subsequent immunity is well documented. Either way, I don't have TB, just TB antibodies.
Well your doc was wrong....

You are right, exposure is well documented, particularly among health care workers and nowhere in the US do "most" health workers test positive for TB exposure.....not even 50%....not even 25%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
My father caught TB during navy service during WW2. He spent a year recovering in a TB hospital. I think a lot of servicemen contracted it, but I wouldn't know what percentage exactly.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:04 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I assumed that there would be at least a couple of doctors and/or medical historians reading the Health and Wellness subsection of this forum who would know the answer or who would have an educated guess.
It'd be very difficult to make even an "educated" guess, because back in "the olden days", there were no tests for a lot of common diseases. Especially poor or working class folks... they'd often just get sick and die, a no really specific cause of death would be given, except "a tumour" (a grandfather of mine, died in the 1940s), or "maybe anemia, maybe leukaemia" (a grandmother of mine, died 1940s). TB at least had very distinctive symptoms, so it was likely to be easily diagnosed.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

You are right, exposure is well documented, particularly among health care workers and nowhere in the US do "most" health workers test positive for TB exposure.....not even 50%....not even 25%

I don't believe I mentioned the U.S. I've never worked there as a health professional.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am sorry about the death of your brother; however, from what you say it appears that diagnosis of metastatic liver cancer earlier would not have prevented his death. It has an unfortunately dismal five year survival rate.

I agree that keeping a healthy weight increases the chance of living longer. That means being neither underweight nor overweight.
Sometimes that happens. My mother's neighbor spent 10 years dying of pancreatic cancer. Ten years. She was supposed to be dead in a few months. It wasn't pretty, either. My mother, a nurse, used to take me to her house when she gave her injections for pain. I didn't want want to go because the poor woman looked embarrassed because her hair wasn't clean and she was wearing yesterday's pajamas. Maybe she'd been wearing them for a week. I don't know.

She was really nice. We always had a little talk when I went there. Her husband took care of her, but he wasn't very conversational.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

My mother, father and eldest brother tested positive, but, mother grew up in England, dad served in WWII and I'm not sure about the brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness