Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,756,465 times

Advertisements

one of my best friends is scheduled to have one and he is worried sick. What do think? There is some kind of nuclear material that they inject into a persons veins. Not something I would like to have done. Must be some side effects etc. It is to monitor heart blood flow as I understand it. He has had some irregular heart beats so it was recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:16 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,179,960 times
I would not get a nuclear stress test. Go to a better heart hospital that has a really good flash CT scanner that does 320+ slices and they can do a cardio CT scan which is as good or better than an angiogram with less radiation dosage than a nuclear stress test but you should not really need to start with either of these tests just for an irregular heartbeat.

To check for long term blockages, a $50 calcium CT scan test which is offered by some heart hospitals would be a good place to start. They can also check the carotid arteries on the throat. A calcium score is a very good early indicator of heart disease.

http://www.avera.org/heart-hospital/planet-heart/

There is no medical test that subjects the body to more radiation than a nuclear stress test, assuming they use thallium.

For a person with just some irregular heartbeats I would start with an EKG or holter monitor first so they can record the heart's electrical activity while symptoms are occurring. If there is shortness of breath or chest pain during exercise that's another story... stress test for sure, Coronary CT scan from a hospital with the right equipment... perhaps.

An Echo would be an option if they think there might be problems with valves. I happen to have a bicuspid aortic valve with moderate regurgitation (no stenosis). I caught it myself with my own stethoscope and had to show the doctor where to put his while I held my breath so he could hear the murmur after which he gave me an echo. Not dangerous.. may need a valve replacement in 5-20 years. My aortic root size is monitored with followup echos every year or two. I've always had symptoms of it without knowing, such as being able to feel my own heartbeat, most of my adult life, with that feeling getting gradually stronger over the years to the point where I can feel it pretty much all the time. I don't have any head bobbing yet though.

The nuclear stress test, angiogram, and CT scan are to check for blockages but with the advent of really advanced CT scanners, conventional angiograms (unless they know there is something there and are placing stents) and nuclear stress tests as diagnostic tools I would argue are becoming outdated.

http://www.learntheheart.com/blogs/t...-ct-angiogram/

Print out this post if you wish to show your physician but keep in mind this is NOT medical advice and should not be used as a substitute for advice from a qualified physician. It's merely the ramblings of a madman who has an interest in medical technology and stayed at a holiday inn express using their wi-fi last night.

One more thing.. heart bypasses are pretty routine these days.. my step father just had a quadruple done and is doing fine though I suspect with his genetic makeup and diet/lifestyle choices it will recur at some point.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-17-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,756,465 times
Stockwiz: Thanks for the information. It sure helps

Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 3,121 times
I'm interested if anyone has had a nuclear stress test lately? This info is older but informative & I would greatly appreciate more as I just had a NST on Wed the 29th and feel terrible. I'm not sure it's life threatening but it sure feels terrible. I would like to know if this radioactive chemical has had some terrible effect on me. There are few articles available online and most say all subsides w/thin 24 hours, well it's been 4 days and every evening I go through the same set of effects. Migraine headache, clammy cold/hot feeling, pounding heart, upset stomach, very lightheaded. I have never felt like this before in me life so I can't describe the effects perfectly but that is sufficient. Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,087,515 times
That almost sounds like the symptoms of a panic attack. ARe you anxious about the results of your test?

Old 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,956 times
I had triple by pass in 11/2010,doing fine.
As part of physical with cardiologist a couple of years ago I had nuclear stress test,made no difference to me,no side effects and all is well.
Got checked out by cardiologist yesterday and all is well.
Today was doing errand and appeared to have had a TIA while driving,eyes blacked out for about 3 seconds,ache in both arms and legs,now o'k Thought about ER but wondered if necessary?
I am 84 in fair health with no vices.
I had same thing with heart attack only that was blockage in widower artery.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
Not ER but doc ASAP. You might need to be on a different/more blood thinner.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 AM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not ER but doc ASAP. You might need to be on a different/more blood thinner.
Thank you.I was at Cardioligist Tues,I do have blockeage in carotid artery,vascular surgeon monitoring every 6 months.
It took about 4 hours for my body to return to normal
I take two 81mg asprin each day and have since 11/2010.Vascular doctor said the asprin makes for a slippery coating in arteries negating sticking.
The doctors word platelets if spelled correcty

Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Thanks Fleetiebelle, I think you may have hit it on the head. I've been very stressed out since the New Year. But I had already scheduled the test as a routine check-up. I just had my follow-up consult w/ my cardiologist and he seemed completely disinterested in my symptoms because he said all my tests came back fine. I am taking propranolol on a "as needed" basis, and the symptoms did subside 5 days after the test. I can honestly say though that unless its a life or death situation I will never have a NST again. I will however do some research on panic attacks and how to keep from having them because I never want to feel like that again.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM

We had to go to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida for my husband's health issue, I know this has been stressing me out on a daily basis. I should have responded sooner but seem to shut down a lot lately due to the stress and haven't been online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness