Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,962,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I would like to find something that is isn't a health hazard. It makes me nervous to add something to my coffee or food not knowing what it is. A chemical formula of some sort that no one really knows if there are harmful effects, maybe cancer causing etc. Is there any kind of sweetener out there that is safe?
Just throw some aspartame or sucralose in whatever you need to sweeten and call it a day. Despite the all too prevalent quackery, both are proven to be completely safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Just throw some aspartame or sucralose in whatever you need to sweeten and call it a day. Despite the all too prevalent quackery, both are proven to be completely safe.
whatever chemical process they use the make aspartame or sucrolose has an instantaneous allergic reaction on me

i'm talking less than a minute

it starts with my nose running profusely, nonstop sneezing, eyes watering this is within the first 5 minutes, i

then get real sick and it takes like 2 weeks to recover

this can all be initiated by taking a *sip* of a "sugar free" drink

this was discovered a few years ago

that crap is dangerous..stay away things marked "sugar free" often will contain that stuff

dont fear natural sugar...the fake/altered/synthesized stuff will do more damage

people will champion weed but sugar is scary to them go figure...

Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,069,452 times
Quote:
Safe according to FDA standards are "things that don't harm you within minutes after consupmtions". Long Term Health effects aren't taking into consideration.

The FDA approves thousands of products for US Consumers which are banned almost everywhere else.

Look at the top 10 countries with the highest cancer rates.
Data for cancer frequency by country | World Cancer Research Fund International

The US is #6 (overall)
And for Women, the US is #2.

And who is the #1 consumer of Coffee and dairy product in the US? Woman.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
I use Truvia, which is a blend of erythritol -- a sugar alcohol, like xylitol, mannitol, etc. -- and stevia. Erythritol doesn't bother my digestive system the way the other sugar alcohols do.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,395,883 times
Stevia (I have Stevia in The Raw, and its great in tea/coffee), Maple Syrup and Agave Nectar. Agave is super sweet, you'd use much less than sugar or Maple Syrup.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Quote:
Yep. I've never seen a single shred of evidence that any artificial sweetener causes health problems. Years ago there were claims that saccharine caused cancer, but I think they've since backed off of that.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,275,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Pure cane sugar, local honey, brown sugar, raw sugar
Same here and I only use it in my oatmeal and the amount is 1/2 teaspoon of any of them. Oh, and maple syrup IF and when I have a waffle or pancake. Thankfully I never developed a sweet tooth and that was on purpose.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 PM

53 posts, read 66,956 times
When avoiding sugar, and sometimes honey, I go for Stevia. It comes in many different formulations (Stevia extract in powder or drops -- a tiny, tiny amount goes a long way) and more cup for cup measurements, as well. There is even Stevia In The Raw for taking, and measures like regular sugar. It's a natural, plant-based sweetener, and my (functional medicine) doctor hasn't taken it away from me, so it's acceptable so far. There's also monkfruit sweetener, which I haven't tried yet, but is also supposed to be natural and safe. And coconut sugar.

I pretty much stick with stevia or honey for most things, as that's the easiest, most workable thing for me so far.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,633,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Stevia (I have Stevia in The Raw, and its great in tea/coffee), Maple Syrup and Agave Nectar. Agave is super sweet, you'd use much less than sugar or Maple Syrup.
Quantity counts when you're dealing with pancakes and corn bread (which are the only times I use maple syrup or honey). It also counts in baking, where density matters, and where the crystals of the sugar helps blend the butter and the flour and the egg together. Without the crystal, the dough won't form properly and you end up with nasty cookies.

If I use the same -amount- of agave as I do of maple, because I want the same -amount- of liquid to cover my pancakes, it sounds like the sweetness would be overwhelming and I'd end up throwing the whole thing in the trash.

I like that maple is less sweet-tasting than the fake "pancake syrup" made with corn syrup. If I wanted it -more- sweet I'd just use corn syrup, which is plenty sweet. What I want, is a perfect consistency, a perfect blend of dry-fluffy pancakes and sticky-sweet syrup. For that, maple is perfect, and anything else is something less than perfect. Easier to just not have pancakes at all.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 PM

22,569 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Sugar-alcohols are great if you can tolerate them........very yummy and little aftertaste. I wish they did not wreak havoc on my digestive system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness