Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I actually read recently about an experiment this scientist conducted where he did not bathe for a couple of months. I don't know exactly the outcome, but what I did remember is that the flora on his skin actually improved. He said the good bacteria on his skin was making him healthier and his skin even improved. He said when humans bathe/shower they remove the good bacteria on their skin and they mess up the flora. He said he didn't hear any complaints about odor at all from people.

It is not necessary to bathe/shower more than once a day unless you live in a place with such high humidity and heat that just bathing cools you down and that is the main purpose for doing so, not to get clean. Showering too much and too long ages the skin because it dries it out.

This is my doctors line of rationale he says people shower way too much with water that is way too hot,he says there are many emolients and beneficial bacteria on the skin showering too much in too hot water washes away this beneficial coating on the skin leaving the skin susceptible to various skin conditions especially later in life. His ideal is 3-4 times a week in very mild water temps using as mild a soap as you can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
For me with my work I have to shower nightly. I have to wash my hair nightly too but when in school it was every few days unless we had been out getting dirty. I know regular bathing is not necessary. For me it's a mindset and it just seems strange not to. Even if one smells, it's not a health issue.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I'm a morning shower person (or afternoon, whatever) - my hair gets flat if I shower and wash hair in the evening.

If I've done something "stinky" I shower at night or after of course, but if going out daytime, I shower before that.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This is my doctors line of rationale he says people shower way too much with water that is way too hot,he says there are many emolients and beneficial bacteria on the skin showering too much in too hot water washes away this beneficial coating on the skin leaving the skin susceptible to various skin conditions especially later in life. His ideal is 3-4 times a week in very mild water temps using as mild a soap as you can find.
Personally, I have found that when I wash my hands with hot water and really soap up, and spend too long rinsing, my skin will start drying out and I will sometimes have an eczema relapse. I used to use the alcohol based hand sanitizers, too which were horrible on my hands. What I was doing was removing some of the beneficial bacteria. Now, I try not to over clean my hands; of course, when I go to the bathroom I wash my hands sufficiently, but if I'm cleaning house, I will use gloves or I would wait till I do a lot of dirty work and when I finish I'll go wash my hands, not each time I touch some dirt. Over cleaning really damages the skin and then the skin will crack allowing dangerous bacteria to enter, so definitely seeing it's not a good idea.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Is age a factor here? When I get old will my glands dry up or something so I won't feel as gross and dirty? Or will I get older and just not care anymore? Things that make you go hmmm
There is. As a senior, you'll likely have have normal to dry skin and hair, and since you're no longer pumping out all those hormones, you won't have as much body odor, either.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think some things change based on your age. When I was a teenager, I used to wash my face before I went to bed and when I got up because my skin was oily. I stopped doing that when I got out of high school.

OTOH, when I was in high school, I only washed my hair once a week. It got really dry when I washed it, so I did it infrequently. Now, I can't stand to go more than two days without shampooing. My hair gets oily, and my scalp gets itchy if I go more than two days.
according to a couple of hairdressers I have had, the more you wash your hair, the more you stimulate the oil glands. I am guessing, if you went back to wahing your hair every 3 or 4 days, within a period of time your hair would cease to get so oily. I am not an expert by anymeans, so I could be wrong, but I am guessing I am pretty much on.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:57 PM

519 posts, read 776,965 times
People who don't shower at least once a day... gross. Your body produces oils and funk throughout the day even if you think you aren't doing anything, and you collect microscopic junk on your skin as you mill about in the world. Going to bed with all that mess on you and getting it into your sheets so you can sleep in a funky bed every night makes me cringe. Dear lord people, take 5 minutes and wash yourselves you filthy animals.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
People who don't shower at least once a day... gross. Your body produces oils and funk throughout the day even if you think you aren't doing anything, and you collect microscopic junk on your skin as you mill about in the world. Going to bed with all that mess on you and getting it into your sheets so you can sleep in a funky bed every night makes me cringe. Dear lord people, take 5 minutes and wash yourselves you filthy animals.
well if what you say is true and we all have funk on us, as you put it, we should shower twice a day, because that funk would continue to produce when you are sleeping. Of course maybe you think those oils and funk stop working because your eyes are closed?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm sorry but my bowel movements are not that regular to schedule them first thing in the morning before I take a shower.
They should be, if they're not there's something wrong.

You should have a no 2 once a day, first thing.

If you don't, your diet is probably not good.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well if what you say is true and we all have funk on us, as you put it, we should shower twice a day, because that funk would continue to produce when you are sleeping. Of course maybe you think those oils and funk stop working because your eyes are closed?
I always shower in the morning, and in summer at night as well.

In winter I just don't need to, the sweat and funk is just not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness