Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,763,285 times

Advertisements

Since I began smoking cigars four weeks ago (as of this writing) I have noticed the following Good Things:

1) my gums no longer bleed from brushing, flossing, or using toothpicks.

2) my overdeveloped gag reflex has stopped

I should explain that for several years I seriously gagged when anything went into my mouth, especially my toothbrush. That stopped after a week of smoking cigars

3) my cravings for alcohol have disappeared

I should explain that I was a heavy drinker until a month ago. I quit cold turkey and started smoking cigars the following day. Coincidence? Several previous attempts to quit drinking always failed because of the cravings. Now they are gone.

4) I can now walk confidently without the aid of a cane. This started less than a week into the cigar smoking.

5) My blood pressure was 168 over something bad just a couple of days before I began smoking cigars. The past few days I have checked four times, and my blood pressure has been less that 120 over something good.

This one has me puzzled. Every source I browsed on the topic says that nicotine raises blood pressure. Yet here I am. Normal for the first time in over two years.

6) my balance has returned to the point that I can put my pants on one leg at a time without leaning against something.

While I am not a medical professional, nor do I play one on the internet, I am reporting my own experience. Coincidence? Something else?

Last edited by chuckmann; 06-02-2015 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:05 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Stopping the alcohol had more to do with it than the cigars. Do you really want to swap the alcohol for another addiction?

Alcohol can increase blood pressure, increase bleeding tendencies, contribute to gum disease, and affect muscle function and balance (even when you are not actually drunk). Poor nutrition associated with alcohol consumption can lead to vitamin deficiencies.

Congratulations on your sobriety, but a checkup with your family doctor would be a good idea. You are fortunate you did not have DTs by quitting drinking abruptly if your intake was indeed heavy.

You probably should be taking some vitamins, but consult with your doctor about having blood levels (B12 and folate) before you do that.

Edited to add: Quit the cigars! I really do not think they helped get you off the alcohol. You just did it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness