U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaGuy View Post
Improper Use of Handicap Placards in South Florida

While I am completely uneducated as to the rules for acquiring a handicap placard/sticker in Florida, I, like most people in the US are catching on to the abuse that is going on out there by mostly undeserving wealthy individuals taking advantage of the system.

I know this because I witnessed first hand in south florida as two wealthy individuals abused the system. They are Victoria Ranger and Mike Nunez, both obviously in good physical shape. In particular I saw them somehow acquire a handicap sticker and put this sticker on their convertible Bentley and convertible Mercedes, and had the audacity to drive around parking right up in front of parking lots, when others obviously deserved the spot. I thought these thoughtless crooks, because obviously there should be laws against it, were the only people doing this.

Over the past year in south florida I have seen it over and over again. Recently I saw a Rolls Royce with a handicap placard parked out in front of Mizner Park, a place where they could easily pay for valet parking. What was funny about this, is they parked almost 500 feet from where they were going and jogged back to their car when they were finished with their activities.

Maybe south florida is beginning to become like a third world country, where the rich make the rules, or we in south florida are letting it happen. Either way, we should all push for laws against this abuse in each of our states. Obviously those who figure out or pay for this handicap placard are able to pay any serious fine they would receive, so the penalty should be having their driver's license and name published in local papers. Not sure what else will threaten these guys from doing this insensitive act. Maybe jail time.
I'm not really sure what being rich has to do with abusing handicapped spots? There are handicapped wealthy people, since you can't pay your way out of a real disability! Obviously it's wrong to use them if you're not disabled, but I'm just a bit confused by your blaming it on the wealthy. My mother drives a nice Lexus & has a disabled placard, which is necessary because of her respiratory illness (severe asthma & collapsed lung)... she only uses it as needed, usually when there are stairs or hills to climb. Plus, my "fancy" private ortho. doctor is extremely strict about giving away placards - and I'd guess this is typically the case, since the best doctors have more to lose. He wouldn't give me a temporary when I broke my foot, and said "you have a walking cast, so you can still walk!" Anyway, I often see cheaper cars abusing those spots, at least around here. But luckily they enforce it pretty well, so it's not that common of a sight. A pox upon all who break this law, since it's the lowest of acts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 AM

404 posts, read 871,665 times
Oh, BTW - being obese is NOT a handicap! If you chose to stuff yourself to the point when you make 'Jabba the Hut' look normal they should force you to walk from as far away as possible. You may just walk off a couple of ounces!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Oh, BTW - being obese is NOT a handicap! If you chose to stuff yourself to the point when you make 'Jabba the Hut' look normal they should force you to walk from as far away as possible. You may just walk off a couple of ounces!
You're right, but obesity can sometimes be caused by other disabilities... just a thought.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,974,175 times
Point No. 89 Sweeten Florida Plan/ Pending for Handicapped

The fine for parking in a handicapped spot will increase from $250 to $1000 plus loss of your car for 30 days.

If all states would go for this law it may stop the abuse of handicap parking.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,134,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post

The fine for parking in a handicapped spot will increase from $250 to $1000 plus loss of your car for 30 days.

If all states would go for this law it may stop the abuse of handicap parking.
I think that would be a great idea, I can already see the city raking in all that money, maybe then we could get a tax break?????

Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I think that would be a great idea, I can already see the city raking in all that money, maybe then we could get a tax break?????

--------------------------------

The town in Florida where I lived was working hard on this when I left, I would say it is a done deal by now. Laws like this would encourage a little more walking for lazy people.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM

1,560 posts, read 5,016,109 times
I witnessed an apparently perfectly health guy park his "baby" Firebird in a handicapped space the other day. He didn't have a sticker or placard, and due to the cold, he ran into the Walmart. I considered "accidentally" backing my Excursion into his car... But then, what if his handicap was only mental.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,134,927 times
If people are parking in the handicapped areas, THEY NEED TO EITHER DISPLAY, THE PLACARD, OR HAVE IT ON THEIR LICENSE PLATE, NOW IF THEY DON'T DISPLAY ANYTHING, THEN THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS PARKING THERE!!!!! My opinion only, I am sure others would agree.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
If people are parking in the handicapped areas, THEY NEED TO EITHER DISPLAY, THE PLACARD, OR HAVE IT ON THEIR LICENSE PLATE, NOW IF THEY DON'T DISPLAY ANYTHING, THEN THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS PARKING THERE!!!!! My opinion only, I am sure others would agree.
I certainly do agree, if you are not handicapped don't park there.... if you do then you deserve a nice big hefty ticket for it. IMO should be some points tacked on your drivers license as well.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 AM

2,640 posts, read 214,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post

I totally agree but because people can't breathe when they walk or complain about their feet and legs hurting (Hello! The more one is immobile, the more one will hurt when he or she rises from the chair and tries to walk.), they consider themselves handicapped and ride around in motorized carts, park in handicap zones, have their "chauffeurs" drop them off right at the curb while holding up parking lot traffic, and have people bring them more this, that, and the other whether it be food, the scissors, reading glasses, or a book.

My sister does just this, and it drives me nuts. She has a handicap tag that was used for her deceased husband. He was not overweight, but had a brain deterioration disease and as it progressed, walking became difficult until he finally couldn't walk at all, a very sad story.

Anyway, I don't know how they get renewed or what, but she still has a tag to hang on her car mirror. When she and I go somewhere in my car, she wants me to use the tag and park in a handicap zone. I absolutely refuse and she gets mad. I don't know why though because I do the curb service bit, and she has less to walk that way anyway.

Unfortunately, obesity is very rampant in our country. Just look at the young people of today not to mention the adults.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I love my sis, but please, it is so blasted aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness