Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Before this week, I would have said Advil because it effectively kills any headache very quickly. I heard the news about the labeling controversy a few days ago. On the label it saids in the long term heart attack and stroke could occur, but on the news this week they said that Advil may have to change it to the "short term" meaning that even with a regular dose a person can experience a heart attack or stroke shortly after taking it. I actually don't have too many headaches or pain that requires regular use of a pain killer, but there are times when I need to take an Advil because I can feel a headache coming on so I head it off. I have had really bad headaches in the past, not too often (thank goodness!), where I even feel nausea.
The scaremongering needs to be dialed back a bit. Here's what the government actually says, rather than what a news program says about what the government says:

From FDA Strengthens Warning of Heart Attack and Stroke Risk for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs

Quote:
FDA is strengthening an existing warning in prescription drug labels and over-the-counter (OTC) Drug Facts labels to indicate that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can increase the chance of a heart attack or stroke, either of which can lead to death. Those serious side effects can occur as early as the first few weeks of using an NSAID, and the risk might rise the longer people take NSAIDs. (Although aspirin is also an NSAID, this revised warning doesn’t apply to aspirin.)
It goes on to emphasize that people who have already had heart attacks, thus being more at risk than anyone else, were the reason for this change in labelling, however the risk of heart attack exists for everyone. In other words - if the normal healthy person's risk for a heart attack is 1%, and taking Advil doubles their risk, then their risk is now 2%. If a person who already had a heart attack is at a 20% risk of another one, and Advil doubles their risk, then their risk is now at 40%.

Statistically there is a profound difference. A person who had no reason to think they were at risk previously, now needs to understand that they are at least vulnerable to a small risk. People who know they're already at risk, need to understand that their risk is significant.

In addition, the labelling is here:
Quote:
Do not use
if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any other pain reliever/fever reducer
right before or after heart surgery
and
Quote:
When using this product
take with food or milk if stomach upset occurs
the risk of heart attack or stroke may increase if you use more than directed or for longer than directed
So the warning is right there - the risk increases if you take it more than you should. The physicians who recommend it need to be more prudent when recommending it, and patients need to be aware of their own health situation so they can take the necessary precautions. In other words - taking one or two Advil is not likely to cause any problem with the heart, unless the heart patient is taking blood thinners, or is recovering from heart surgery. But taking it daily for a couple of weeks can be fatal to those people, who are already at risk.

It's scary news, but it's only somewhat news. Because the people who really need to worry about this, should already know that NSAIDs are risky for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Oh, I never take just one kind, either, I switch them...aspirin, Advil, Aleve...
Never Tylenol...just bec it is the 'most seen in the ER' (heard on TV news)
for taking too much.

Heat, then gentle, slow, easy stretching the area (picture warmed taffy, ya don't
stretch it cold, ha)...not just laying like a lump on heat.
I know it sounds weird bec of the inflammation...but we are talking about the muscles..12-15 min only.
The muscles cause so much of the pain protecting the area and more pinching of
the nerves constricting blood flow, boy do I know!

Hugging knees to the chest takes pressure off that compressed area, too...if it's Low back....always gently, lifting and lowering ONE leg at a time.
HUGs to you...

Old 07-12-2015, 12:32 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The scaremongering needs to be dialed back a bit. Here's what the government actually says, rather than what a news program says about what the government says:

From FDA Strengthens Warning of Heart Attack and Stroke Risk for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs

It goes on to emphasize that people who have already had heart attacks, thus being more at risk than anyone else, were the reason for this change in labelling, however the risk of heart attack exists for everyone. In other words - if the normal healthy person's risk for a heart attack is 1%, and taking Advil doubles their risk, then their risk is now 2%. If a person who already had a heart attack is at a 20% risk of another one, and Advil doubles their risk, then their risk is now at 40%.

Statistically there is a profound difference. A person who had no reason to think they were at risk previously, now needs to understand that they are at least vulnerable to a small risk. People who know they're already at risk, need to understand that their risk is significant.

In addition, the labelling is here:

and

So the warning is right there - the risk increases if you take it more than you should. The physicians who recommend it need to be more prudent when recommending it, and patients need to be aware of their own health situation so they can take the necessary precautions. In other words - taking one or two Advil is not likely to cause any problem with the heart, unless the heart patient is taking blood thinners, or is recovering from heart surgery. But taking it daily for a couple of weeks can be fatal to those people, who are already at risk.

It's scary news, but it's only somewhat news. Because the people who really need to worry about this, should already know that NSAIDs are risky for them.
Thank you so much for the reassuring information! The talking heads on TV sometimes make things seem scarier than it really is and you have to do more research. All I heard was Advil and heart attack/stroke and after that bit of news I was a bit worried. They can really twist and present things in a way that is both alarming and confusing. People that already have known heart conditions would know to be careful about these medications and people with normal hearts would have a minimally elevated risk. They don't really talk about #'s and %'s on the news because they know their audience would look past it or zone out, but reading it makes things clearer. I never take more than one Advil, sometimes two and I could go a long time without taking any Advil, but I have occasional headaches I usually try to head off before they get worse. Advil is really very effective at doing the job and I didn't know what else to use if I went by the sensationalist headlines only.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
My pain is 24/7 and due to discs that have collapsed and compressed and pinched several nerves. Drs have no answer for it. Just high powered pain meds., viz, Hydrocodone. I don't like the high powered stuff. Just thought there might be something that I didn't know about OTC.
What have you tried already? I have had great success with an NSAID called diclofenac, but it's prescription.
Before that, 2 Aleve worked OK. My dentist always suggests 1 ibuprofen and 1 acetaminophen taken together. You just need to experiment to see what works for you, because each of us is different.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
When I had a swollen, bruised sprained ankle, bad, limped for 5 months...
SURPRISINGLY...3 aspirin worked so well!

Then you have the muscle pain/ spasms from the armoring...1000 mg of magnesium
capsules, never tablets ease that quite a bit...
you will notice a diff on the third morning.

For inflammation can't beat Omega 3's daily.
Then the heat packs, alternating to cold...keep to 15 minutes on cold packs and
if you use a hot water bottle.

If it's in the lumbar...a back brace for awhile...while it is 'squeezing in'', it
separates the vertebrae taking some pressure off...so you get a little break.
Good luck!

But, Aleve is wonderful!
I like good old aspirin too, but if someone took 3 every day they'd get very bruised.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Do NOT take more than the directions say...these Nsaids can cause MANY issues...kidney failure among them! Be careful! Just because they are OTC, doesn't mean they're harmless!

If you are in enough pain to need drugs, go to a doctor and find out what's wrong...perhaps there is a "fix" other than pills!!!
Outside of "pills" or surgery, what do you expect a doctor to do?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
You can also take 800 mg of Ibuproferen/6-8 hours That is the prescription dose. My DD was given that when she injured her ankle in track.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Find a reputable doctor or PT who practices spinal decompression. I've done it, it works.

All About Spinal Decompression Therapy

A highly qualified chiropractor can also help. That means finding the one out of every 20 that honestly knows what they are doing. I am diagnosed with Grade II Spondoliotheliosis (sp?) but the chiro feels I have deteriorated to closer to Grade III. I still have two of my horses and the chiro's words are to keep busy and keep the muscles strong, as that is about all my back has going for me.

I don't take anything stronger than WalMarts brand of Excedrin Extra Strength.

See if you can get a prescription for Lidoderm Pain patches from your doctor; even if you have to say you have shingles pain to get them. No normal person can afford them without a prescription.

They are miracle workers. I cut them in half so they last longer.

LIDODERM® (Lidocaine Patch 5%) - Official Product Site

Good luck. My best advice is to try and keep active in such as way that will keep your muscles in some condition. The doctors and PT's all said I would be in a walker or worse by the time I hit my early 40's. I am 68 and finally had to give up riding (my horses) in 2007. I still handle the two I have left and clean stalls every day.

Some days it is pure h*** to get stalls mucked, and water buckets emptied but I keep going. You have to keep pushing, too

I am also very lucky to have a one-in-a-million chiropractor who works on my back once, weeK

Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
If you take NSAIDs often you need to take it with a meal, or take something like Zantac along with it. I took Aleve everyday for about 3 weeks once for back pain and ended up with a terrible stomach ulcer. That stuff will eat your stomach lining away.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Severe arthritis here and the pain doc said to use Aleve (Naproxen) 660mg but not for long term solution as naproxen is hard on the kidney's and can damage them over a period of time. Also you can get severe constipation from over use of naproxen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness