Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,871,119 times

Advertisements

Age 40 may well be too early for the deleterious effects of all those bad habits to manifest themselves. Individuals are so different from each other. I knew someone who drank like a fish all his adult life, but lived to age 61 before finally dying of liver problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,879,090 times
So much depends on the body your given. Some people can live a long life with that lifestyle and some do not. Your friend sounds like my dad. Bladder cancer from smoking finally killed him at 72. He'd been an alcoholic for over 2 years and smoked 3 packs a day also. He eventually kicked the drinking and cut back on smoking, but never actually quit.

My in-laws never exercised, were obese, smoked in their younger years and ate a diet that would be condemned today in all 50 states. FIL had no health problems till 90 and died at 96. MIL is still alive at 96 today. Her mind is gone, but the body is still functioning.

And yet its not hard to find stories of people who try to live very healthy and die young. Years ago there was this very well known fitness running advocate, who died at 50 named Jim Fix. Fell over one day from a heart attack. So there's no guaranteed formula. When they call your number, its time to go.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 AM

17,944 posts, read 27,377,476 times
Here's my opinion; He's a moderate drinker during the week and a potential hard drinker on the weekend.

A lot of people do fine up to about 40 and even into their 40's but I'll bet that his ability to drink like he does will drop off like a ski slope somewhere in his later 40's and definitely by the time he turns 50.

I've personally not drank in about 11 and a half years and when I stopped drinking, I stopped smoking. Due to the quest for good health and trying to keep my weight down, I don't eat any fast food and have just about cut out all processed foods. I'll be turning 49 soon and I'm lucky to be alive for one thing, even luckier to try to do something about getting and keeping myself healthy.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,282,217 times
The question is, WHY does someone need to consume any kind of alcoholic beverage every day of their life? It's not water. I like chocolate. I like pizza ... a lot. But I don't eat them every day. For the same reason I don't smoke. It's not good for a human body.

Almost anything that's done every single day has to at least be considered as an addiction. You have to look at what it brings to your life and why you're in its thrall. There are some addictions that are not harmful and perhaps even healthy. The people who get out of bed in the morning and do yoga each and every morning. I suppose that's fine. But if that became a problem for some reason and they didn't want to stop, that would be ... unhealthy.

I'm with the people who say the guy in the OP's story might be fine now but when he hits the wall, it's going to be bad. The body is a system; if one thing crashes, it effects a lot of other parts. All at once. The house of cards goes down.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,164,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Here's my opinion; He's a moderate drinker during the week and a potential hard drinker on the weekend.

A lot of people do fine up to about 40 and even into their 40's but I'll bet that his ability to drink like he does will drop off like a ski slope somewhere in his later 40's and definitely by the time he turns 50.

I've personally not drank in about 11 and a half years and when I stopped drinking, I stopped smoking. Due to the quest for good health and trying to keep my weight down, I don't eat any fast food and have just about cut out all processed foods. I'll be turning 49 soon and I'm lucky to be alive for one thing, even luckier to try to do something about getting and keeping myself healthy.
I've found that the older I get (I'm the same age as you), the less I can tolerate alcohol. I'll have a glass of wine with dinner when we go out, and I love 2 - 4 beers on a Saturday (over maybe 6 hours), but even that has become less appealing to me lately. Leaves me feeling bloated and will put fat on my abdomen. In my 30s at one time I started drinking wine daily and got up to maybe 4 glasses per night. One day it dawned on my how unhealthy that was, so I stopped. I can't imagine drinking that much these days. I couldn't function the next day.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:49 PM

17,944 posts, read 27,377,476 times
Well they say the liver and the very organs that process the booze don't get better with age, they get older and less efficient.

This phenomena seems to really take effect from 40's to full-on by about 50+

I drank booze for the effect. I liked to get drunk. I could never handle my booze but tried repeatedly until about 11 and a half years ago.

I can understand enjoying a fine wine or some other alcoholic beverage. But if it's true that there is a condition called alcoholism and that I am in fact what they call an alcoholic, then I have a liver that processes the stuff differently and I'm doomed from the start. For me going forward, abstinence is the only option.

If I could even go to the trouble of "counting" my drinks and having the power to make that stick, I'd have done that long ago.

It's like my diet; I eat as many servings of leafy greens and other veggies that I can daily because it makes me feel healthy and helps me lose and keep my weight down. I also enjoy meat and other proteins, minus milk. But I currently avoid like the plague things like bread, rice, pasta, other grains etc. But I know that if I wanted to, I could eat a whole bag of cheddar Lays or Ruffles potato chips. I was never one who could say, "Ok, so I'm going to eat 5 or less chips per day and that's it."

No, on some things, we just have no control. If you can limit your booze intake because it makes you nauseous or you want to watch your abs or because you don't want to lose control, etc., you are a different animal than me. I just don't relate to those "higher" class of problems wrt booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness