Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times

Advertisements

I have a aquaintance that insists on eating with real silverware. He takes a set every time he goes to eat somewhere. I was wondering if there is anything to it. He says it helps keep his immune system healthy. But he still eats junk for food, in my opinion. Too much fat,processed food,fried, ect.
Now I did find on the internet. That babies back a couple hundred years. Were fed with silver spoons. To insure better health as they got something off the silver in the spoon. I don't know exactly remember what it was. But helped fight bacteria.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 AM

45 posts, read 483,854 times
Good morning, Shadowwalker:

The notion of being born “with a silver spoon in one’s mouth” has more to do with the socioeconomic condition of the family who could afford the silver spoon, rather than any intrinsic benefit from the silver itself. That is, more affluent families generally had better nutrition, better education, and enjoyed a greater volume of health and therefore were healthier than their less affluent society members. The association with silver per se would be a classic case of "correlation without causation." (This, by the way, was one of the fatal flaws in the presumed health risks associated with the overhead power line scare).

However, like all other materials, the intrinsic toxicity of a substance cannot be assessed outside the context of the dose received. In toxicology, we have a paradigm: “The dose makes the poison.” Silver, in large enough doses can be toxic, and there are a number of diseased human states associated with silver exposures. Similarly, silver compounds are also used as therapeutic medicines, and, for example, their application is mandatory in some states for the prevention of opthalmia neonatorum.

If you take a look at the US EPA “RCRA” regulations (Hazardous Wastes), and go to the D-List, you will see that silver is listed as a hazardous waste, along with arsenic, mercury, lead and other materials.

It is unlikely that there would be any demonstrable benefit from your friend’s odd habit of using silver utensils, and similarly, it would be unlikely that there would be any significant risk of an adverse health effect.

In my case, I notice that silver utensils alter the flavor of some foods – sometimes for the better and sometime for the worse. This is expected since as we use the utensils, we oxidize the silver, which forms complexes and salts in the food.

Cheers!
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM

40 posts, read 316,086 times
I really don't know where all of this is coming from. If you drink too much water you will die. If you eat too much of anything you will die.

There are silver supplements everywhere in health food stores. It is not harmful, and might actually do some good. Silver is also being used in some piping applications like hot tubs, because it kills germs and bacteria.

The main danger is the people who try to make their own silver water for consumption. A few of these people have permanently discolored skin, but there have been only a handful of these cases.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 109,850 times
To eat from a silver spoon it is very useful for any person and especially for the child. If you studied
chemistry in the school very well you should know that silver kills bad bacteria.
In ancient times, when didn't sell cleaners for water yet the people lowered a silver spoon in water and water become is much purer and with the minimum quantity of bad bacteria!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 105,913 times
"Today's Benefits of Silver
- Silver spoons/Silver chopsticks
Kings and royalty used silver utensils for its positive effect on health and because silver changes color when exposed to poison.

- Ancient Rome/Greece
Discovered that food could be freshly preserved over a period of time when contained in silver bowls.

- U.S.
Discovered that silver coins in milk prevented it from going bad and enabled it to be preserved for a long time, and that the water in the carefully hidden silver plates remained fresh for a long time during the Colonial period.

- Botanical List
Silver carried near the body relaxes the five viscera and settles the mind, removes malice, and makes the body lighter, thereby lengthening life.

ㆍ Silver as Sterilizers
Until now, experiments have confirmed that silver sterilizes almost all single cell germs on earth. The most convincing theory is that silver creates catalysis in the metabolism (digestion, breathing) of single cell germs making them powerless, and sterilizing germs as a result.

It is known that there are no germs that can live after being in contact with silver for over six minutes. How else does silver affect germs? In addition to preventing their metabolism, the electric load of silver ions released by silver in a metal is said to restrain the generative function of germs."

Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hguru View Post
I really don't know where all of this is coming from. If you drink too much water you will die. If you eat too much of anything you will die.

There are silver supplements everywhere in health food stores. It is not harmful, and might actually do some good. Silver is also being used in some piping applications like hot tubs, because it kills germs and bacteria.

The main danger is the people who try to make their own silver water for consumption. A few of these people have permanently discolored skin, but there have been only a handful of these cases.
Me thinks I'd better elaborate on that so everyone understands the full picture. Those individuals were not making 'silver water' the way it is supposed to be made, that's the long and the short of it.

You're right, there *are* only a handful, and one of those individuals dates back over 50 years which is long before the LVDC electrolysis method we use today came into existence, and that substance in this case was prescribed by a physician. Check the internet, her face is splashed all over it, as is that Karenson bloke who appeared on that Oprah show a few years ago - pure and unadulterated media grabbing bunkum.

The FDA and our TGA uses this information, gleaned off the internet of all places <rolling eyes>, to propagate and perpetuate a scare campaign...which is absolute balderdash, and both the FDA and our TGA don't even have any record of issues with the correctly produced LVDC electrolysis method of dispersing silver in water. They sweep using a wide broom, but ignorant of the facts by not specifying details of what they speak.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
people have been taking colloidal silver for a long time.

Source Naturals :: Wellness Colloidal Silver™

Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Silver will kill bacteria, but not viruses, and viruses cause most illnesses in humans these days. The little bit of silver he eats won't kill enough bacteria that may have tainted the food to make any difference, but over time consuming silver over and over could give him bluish colored skin.

I have a colloidal silver generator and quite a bit of bullion, so I'm no silver newbie.

Everything in moderation. There is of yet no miracle cure that will make a person live forever or immune to any disease. I would say it's probably doing no significant good or harm. Neutral.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Silver will kill bacteria, but not viruses, and viruses cause most illnesses in humans these days. The little bit of silver he eats won't kill enough bacteria that may have tainted the food to make any difference, but over time consuming silver over and over could give him bluish colored skin.

I have a colloidal silver generator and quite a bit of bullion, so I'm no silver newbie.

Everything in moderation. There is of yet no miracle cure that will make a person live forever or immune to any disease. I would say it's probably doing no significant good or harm. Neutral.
Could you elaborate on that? What form of silver preparation would you be referring to here?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The whole thing is a ridiculous argument. The topic is about using a silver utensil to eat, not about consuming silver. If the silver utensil was "consumed" whenever someone used it to eat, it would wear away in a fairly short period of time until it no longer existed. And yet, there are silver utensils that date back several thousand years, that were used, and hardly worn at all. They obviously didn't leech into the soil, they didn't magickally duplicate themselves so that the depleted resource was replenished.

Eating with a silver spoon doesn't leech silver into your body. You don't consume silver when you use a silver spoon. The known antibacterial abilities of silver cease to exist once the silver is removed from the substance. Meaning - when the ice cream leaves the bowl of the spoon and enters your mouth, the spoon's ability to kill off bacteria in the ice cream ceases to exist. When you pull the spoon out of your mouth, the antibacterial ability of the spoon, no longer protects your mouth. You'd have to walk around with a silver spoon in your mouth 24/7...and even then, it's not doing diddly squat for your intestines, because you're not EATING the spoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness