Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We are both on statins, and neither of us had had any problems after two years. Our primary gave me a year and a half to change my lifestyle. When that change didn’t happen, we revisited the idea of statins. I don’t like to take any meds and told her I was concerned about the bad side affects from statins. When she replied that heart attacks and strokes are pretty bad side affects without them, I changed my mind. She has both of us taking statins three times a week, not daily and we are both well within the normal range now. She has found most patients respond well to every other day.
Why didn't your lifestyle change happen? Do you realize that drugs without lifestyle changes will NOT improve your health?

Also, two years is not very long. You really don't know what side effects may come along gradually. Especially if you take other drugs in addition.

I hope you will read about drugs vs lifestyle and come to the obviously correct conclusion. Even most MDs now agree lifestyle is critical.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Isn't the science moving away from LDL cholesterol is a risk factor for heart diseases and moving toward LDL particles?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2014286/

LDL Particles are influenced by triglycerides so most likely that statins might not do anything and indeed, low carbohydrates (which lead to lower triglycerides) is the way to keep in heart health.
That's right. High triglycerides are related to insulin resistance.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know this is several years old but I can't give up my passion about these statin drugs and more and more regarding memory loss.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/chole...mory-loss-link

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rt-medication/

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016...lobal-amnesia/

OP: No I take no statin drugs but now and then I take Policosanol, why I'm not clear about that because I really don't fear this cholesterol issue.

Talking to my friend today about her father who ended up with dementia and he took supplements so much of his life and his wife talked him into getting on a statin, my friend thinks he was on that drug(s) for about 3 yrs. His mind declined. He did pass at 90 or so I think she said.

My folks never took these drugs. Lived long and mind were fine when they did pass.

My friend said that pharma had their way, just about everyone over 40-50 would be on statins.
While I do think that statins can be problematic, and there is no clear consensus that high cholesterol and/or triglycerides really are actually harmful (even doctors disagree on this), I just want to point out that dementia is often luck of the draw. Your parents drew good cards. My mother didn't. She took supplements all her life, exercised, maintained a healthy weight, and her lab work and blood pressure and all that was always PERFECT. When she had a stroke at age 65, she fell into that 20 percent of stroke victims who have a stroke for no apparent reason - no preexisting conditions that would elevate her risk at all. Now she has dementia and she is 79. So who knows?

Also, people live longer now and I feel that's the main reason we see more dementia - we're living longer, taking more meds, having surgery and anesthesia at later and later times in our lives, and all those things can contribute to the development of dementia.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Statins don't prolong life by much, for most people, according to the research. But I agree with what you seem to be saying here -- dying peacefully and quickly is what I thought most people wanted. If a drug can give you a long slow death full of pain and disability, who needs that? But I don't even know if it can give you that.
If you are going to site research then you are going to have to provide that research and it needs to be peer reviewed from an unbiased source.

Very few people die in their sleep. Its how we all want to go but its a very lucky person that achieves it.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
That's right. High triglycerides are related to insulin resistance.
I have a 10+ year history with my doctor and I just checked my results.. never had a triglycerides over normal in 10 years and same for blood sugar. Never over normal.

I want to get the LDL particle test but those two results tell me my risk for heart disease is low.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Why didn't your lifestyle change happen? Do you realize that drugs without lifestyle changes will NOT improve your health?

Also, two years is not very long. You really don't know what side effects may come along gradually. Especially if you take other drugs in addition.

I hope you will read about drugs vs lifestyle and come to the obviously correct conclusion. Even most MDs now agree lifestyle is critical.
Our doctor does believe lifestyle is critical, which is why we talked about it and she gave me time to see if I could effect a change. There were changes, enough for the high blood pressure recently, but not enough to bring the cholesterol numbers down. Neither of us take any other drugs at this point in time. I don’t know what may come on gradually being on the statins, just like I don’t know what is gradually happening without them.

The point of my post was that statins may not be need to be taken daily if routine lab work shows that an every other day regimen reduces your cholesterol and you have a doctor open to discussing that possibility with you.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
My BIL stopped taking them because of the adverse effects. Statins are poison. There is no need to reduce cholesterol. The body needs it, and post-meno women are better off with higher cholesterol than lower cholesterol.

And remember there is no study that proves statistically that lowering cholesterol effectively lowers your risk of dying from a heart attack. And isn't that the main reason people take it?

I guess I'm not sure because a year after my mom stopped them, she had a stroke and died.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Statins don't prolong life by much, for most people, according to the research. But I agree with what you seem to be saying here -- dying peacefully and quickly is what I thought most people wanted. If a drug can give you a long slow death full of pain and disability, who needs that? But I don't even know if it can give you that.
Average age for a heart attack is 65 with 10% occurring before 45. I’m all for dying in my bed at age 90. Not so much before that.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
You got your other thread shut down - trying for this one now? Just cut and paste it all...don't drag it out...soooooo painful to read the first time. I believe the topic here is side effects, not efficacy.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:14 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:

Two years is not long? How many diseases are you okay with trying only lifestyle changes for two years with no other intervention...Also, I want to see studies saying that drugs without lifestyle changes don't improve your health - citations please.

If we were talking about diabetes how high would you let your blood sugar go before using medication if your lifestyle changes weren't working? How high would you advise OTHERS' let their blood sugar go before taking medication?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness