Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. Meniscus tears can't "heal" on their own. Often the symptoms from meniscal tears improve and no surgery is needed but the tear didn't "heal"

2. No one is back to running a month after ACL surgery

Just double checked with my hubby, he started running again at 6 weeks (not a month but close enough). He was physically fit enough and healed quick enough that it didn't bother him. That was 3 years ago. Been fine ever since!!

Last edited by CGab; 04-10-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:40 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Just double checked with my hubby, he started running again at 6 weeks (not a month but close enough). He was physically fit enough and healed quick enough that it didn't bother him. That was 3 years ago. Been fine ever since!!
Running 6 weeks after meniscectomy? Possible

Running 6 weeks after ACL reconstruction? Not possible

If "hubby" was running 6 weeks after surgery he didn't have an ACL repair

Old 04-12-2017, 04:06 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Running 6 weeks after meniscectomy? Possible

Jogging three days on a level surface after partial meniscectomy during which the ortho MD shaved-off 20% of the meniscus tissue ... actual.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Jogging three days on a level surface after partial meniscectomy during which the ortho MD shaved-off 20% of the meniscus tissue ... actual.
Joan Benoit Samuelson had arthroscopic partial meniscectomy in 1984 and won the women's Olympic Marathon trials 17 days later....

NFL players do it all the time and are back within several weeks

Its absolutely possible to run soon after meniscectomy...

Running 6 weeks after ACL reconstruction, not so much, and if someone did try they were a fool to do so and were absolutely not following rehab recommendations or surgeon instructions.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Joan Benoit Samuelson had arthroscopic partial meniscectomy in 1984 and won the women's Olympic Marathon trials 17 days later....

NFL players do it all the time and are back within several weeks

Its absolutely possible to run soon after meniscectomy....

Never competed in Olympic trials and the NFL was a pipe dream circa 1958 but I could jog three days after partial meniscectomy at age 62.

In fact, the only thing I couldn't do post-surgery and just prior to surgery was drop into a full crouch, suggesting in retrospect that the surgery should have not been done. Perhaps leaving the damaged meniscus intact instead of removing 20% of it would have delayed the arthritis that began 11 years later.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times
I had a meniscus repair 3 months ago and it feels like I will never be healed. It doesn't help that I limped and hurt for 8 months before my doctor would even order the MRI as she wanted to take a conservative approach. I finally said listen I have great insurance please find out what is going on. I hate that I can't go up and down stairs like I used to. I can't go hiking and just enjoy my life with out knee pain.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I had a meniscus repair 3 months ago and it feels like I will never be healed. It doesn't help that I limped and hurt for 8 months before my doctor would even order the MRI as she wanted to take a conservative approach. I finally said listen I have great insurance please find out what is going on. I hate that I can't go up and down stairs like I used to. I can't go hiking and just enjoy my life with out knee pain.
using key word meniscus I found your post from awhile back. I had an MRI on my knee just yesterday and don't expect to hear back from doc till next week but wondered how you are doing now? I am in SOOOOO much pain and can find no way to make it ease off. No idea what to expect but was hoping surgery won't be needed--however if it will stop this pain then I am going to reconsider my original thnking

Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
using key word meniscus I found your post from awhile back. I had an MRI on my knee just yesterday and don't expect to hear back from doc till next week but wondered how you are doing now? I am in SOOOOO much pain and can find no way to make it ease off. No idea what to expect but was hoping surgery won't be needed--however if it will stop this pain then I am going to reconsider my original thnking
Do a Search on Meniscus tear and PRP. These tears can heal from all I've heard and from others too and from PRP MD.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
This just came in:

Can stem cells regenerate missing meniscus tissue? Research says yes if given the chance | Dr. Marc Darrow is a Stem Cell, PRP,Prolotherapy Expert in Los Angeles.

These PRP and Stem Cell providers are in larger cities across the U.S.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do a Search on Meniscus tear and PRP. These tears can heal from all I've heard and from others too and from PRP MD.
Yeah....not sure where you "heard meniscus tears can heal" but you are WRONG

Meniscal tears can't heal unless the tear involves the outer 1/3 of the cartilage which has a blood supply, the inner 2/3's where most tears occur does not have a blood supply so the cartilage CANNOT heal

There is also NO strong evidence that PRP injections can heal meniscal tears....evidence is not there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness