U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM

220 posts, read 118,518 times

Advertisements

Due to a concussion I now have recurring, if not daily migraines along with occipitial neuralgia. Both have affected my quality of life.

I was prescribed nortriptyline (tricyclic anti-depressant) to treat the ON and migraine at the source, as well as sumatriptan to take on an as needed basis when I feel a migraine. In two months I am also getting a nerve block injection for the ON.

I'd say so far they have helped me reduce my pain by about 50%; it's just that I can't stand the side effects of nortriptyline. They include sedation, dry mouth, weight gain, grogginess, feeling spacey, and even sexual difficulties. The latter is really unacceptable to me.

What other treatments have you tried which work? I'm not a fan of taking an antidepressant from the 50's to treat something in 2015...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:43 PM

13,008 posts, read 12,434,284 times
If you can get a hold of some marijuana, I'd say to give it a try. It's not going to take the pain away, but it will make you "not care" that you're in pain. When I have a sinus headache that is so bad I can't sleep, I have an edible or two and at least I get some sleep so that I can function the next day.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM

220 posts, read 118,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If you can get a hold of some marijuana, I'd say to give it a try. It's not going to take the pain away, but it will make you "not care" that you're in pain. When I have a sinus headache that is so bad I can't sleep, I have an edible or two and at least I get some sleep so that I can function the next day.
Unfortunately in the past I would agree with you. I used to like marijuana but than one time had a severe panic attack on it that caused me to nearly dissociate for a week. It probably would help but I can't risk triggering anxiety and panic again.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
I have horrible migraines where I cannot function sometimes . They are really bad and so bad I cannot sleep sometimes from them . I used to have to go to the er and get a shot . Now my dr at the clinic wants me to try the new patch they are coming out with . I don't think I will do it though because the side effects are pretty numerous and I don't like to take meds with numerous side effects . I might go back to the shots if needed . I can administer those at home . My father was a severe diabetic and I gave him his insulin shots until his wife learned how to do administer them .My dr is very proactive instead of reactive . I really like him but he is moving on soon , he told me last time I would have to find a new dr but with the Obama care I don't have a new dr because no one is taking it in my area . I would suggest OP try the shots and see if they work for you insurance should cover it .

Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Feverfew is an herbal remedy for migraines. Four double-blind placebo controlled studies were reported in the mid 90s in The Lancet (British version of JAMA). Cuts the frequency and intensity of them.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
I'm on a daily preventative called Topomax. Topirimate is the generic. There's also Qudexy, the time-released version. I'm not sure it's doing a lot for me, but god the anti-d's are horrible for me too.
I take stuff to abort them when I get them. There's injections and Zomig the nasal spray.
I feel ya though. I've been dealing with horrid ones for a decade now and no clue why, no triggers, no reason why they even came about. MRI's show nothing. Sometimes I'm sitting here minding my own business all chill and then BAM it's like someone just stabbed me. Then if I don't take something I will have it for 3 days. Sometimes they return the next day (cluster or rebound) it's just insane.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:25 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
I have a nerve disease and significantly damaged nerves all over my body, including the cranial nerves. I do occasionally get HORRIBLE migraines, feels like a vise is crushing my head.....usually caused by preventable triggers.

One of the things that I just recently started using is topical-aspirin, it helps a LOT. The key for me is to jump on top of the problem...as soon as I feel that painful ache building.

Walmart sells a Bengay knock-off, it is strong, cheap and works great for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness