U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM

854 posts, read 2,481,517 times

Advertisements

Hi all

So today we had an event at work to donate blood. Unfortunately I was told that since I was born in Germany in 1984 I'm not allowed to give blood in the US because of some desease that was spread around Europe between 82 and 89 or something (I think it was mad-cow desease but I'm not sure).

Does somebody know more about this topic or why I wasn't able to donate blood?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM

14,931 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hi all

So today we had an event at work to donate blood. Unfortunately I was told that since I was born in Germany in 1984 I'm not allowed to give blood in the US because of some desease that was spread around Europe between 82 and 89 or something (I think it was mad-cow desease but I'm not sure).

Thanks
American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html - broken link)

Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 PM

2,484 posts, read 7,900,413 times
Kudos on you actually wanting to give blood! I've tried twice and passed out both times...no more blood out of this girl!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 23,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hi all

Thanks

Hi I don't know if you got a reply but I have the SAME EXACT issue. I was born on the Air Force Base in Hessen (Weisbaden) and can't give blood. I keep trying but always get rejected. Apparently there was an outbreak of mad cow's disease and it got into the water and some produce. They don't know much about it but they suspect that it can be transmitted through blood. The proplem is that there is no test to find out if you have it or not but they say when you reach your early 30s it will "show'' if you have it. Until they get a test they stay on the side of caution and ban us....booo. I think that they should work on a test because there are some of us who would LOVE to donate but can't because of this issue.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM

17,357 posts, read 3,537,755 times
I worked for years as a nurse on the American Red Cross bloodmobile. Cannot answer your specific question, just want you to know there are MANY who are turned down as donors for a very wide variety of reasons (current medicines, colds, weight, past medical history etc)....

Check the ARC website or call your local ARC office for more assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness