Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:41 AM

2,810 posts, read 204,868 times

Advertisements

I seem to have an issue taking medicine. Every time I'm about to swallow it, I start to gag and maybe even throw up. It seems that I difficulty taking liquid medicine. It well..... just tastes bitter and nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
How did you cope when you were a child?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My mother has trouble swallowing pills. She'll put the pill in a spoonful of yogurt or jam or ice cream and swallow it that way. When I was a kid, she used to put the pill in a chunk of margarine and swallow the whole chunk (ewww) but now that she's older, she takes enough pills that she'd be eating at least a stick of margarine a day, so she's had to find alternatives.

For liquid medicines, store them in the fridge to make them taste less nasty. Then pour the medicine into the back of your throat, try to skip putting it on your tongue because that's where your taste receptors are. Swallow it quick, like you're doing a shot of liquor. If it's a prescription, sometimes the pharmacy has flavors that they can add for a couple of dollars. I used to get that for my kids until they pointed out that instead of the medicine tasting like poop, it tasted like flavored poop. Then I decided to save my couple of dollars and let them just deal with the taste of the medication.

One of my kids used to be horrible about taking medicine...it was worse than trying to give a pill to a cat. It always took at least two of us to get her to swallow the medication. Of course, this was the kid who got sick once a month for the first five years of her life. I was so glad when she finally got old enough to take pills when she had to have medicine. Today she has a cold and I gave her some ibuprofen and zyrtec and I was thinking about how nice it is that I don't have to have the terrible medicine fight with her anymore.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
How did you cope when you were a child?
I'd gag and choke every time I had to take medicine. Especially the liquid kind.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Can you take pills? Much easier, since they really have no taste.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:08 PM

84 posts, read 123,811 times
For most of my life I was unable to take pills. Ironically now I have to take 15 a day.

For pills. I try to find softgel form if possible-makes it a lot easier. To get over my pill issue, I would first take a sip of water and swallow completely, then take a huge gulp of water, place the pill in my mouth and instantly lean my head back and just swallow. I'm sure i looked like a Pelican having a seizure but I was able to get those pills down no problem. After a while it got less dramatic and now (barring really big pills or pills with extra coating) I have no problem taking them in a more "normal" manner.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Can you take pills? Much easier, since they really have no taste.

Unfortunately, I also have difficulty taking pills. Again, it feels like I'll choke while it's on the way down.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Another one here who had a very difficult time taking pills. I didn't start until I was in my late 20s (I'm in my 40s now). Even now, I can't take anything larger than an average sized capsule.

Once I started being able to take pills, I found that the following was helpful.

1. I find capsules much easier to swallow than tablets, and anything coated is easier to swallow than not coated.
2. It's easier for me to swallow medication if I take it with a carbonated beverage, as opposed to water or juice.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
For capsules, you should lean your head forward slightly, as capsules will "float" up and backwards. For pills, tip your head back slightly to help them go down.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
I seem to have an issue taking medicine. Every time I'm about to swallow it, I start to gag and maybe even throw up. It seems that I difficulty taking liquid medicine. It well..... just tastes bitter and nasty.

Yes. I have a very hard time taking any kind of pill. Thank God for liquid gels. I have no idea why, but I gag on pills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness