Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:32 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
For me, it's pretty much a given that I will wake up 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom. It's a rarity for me to sleep more than 3-4 hours straight. I used to think this was normal, but I know it's not.

I know this is a common problem for senior citizens, but I'm 42 and this has been going on most of my adult life. Does anybody have any suggestions? Most nights, I don't drink any (or very few) liquids between 6:30 and bedtime but it happens anyway. I also used Melatonin as a sleep aid for a while (for other reasons), which did help me fall asleep faster but I still woke up just as often during the night.

Go see a urologist. Could be BPH or enlarged prostate. The dreaded finger will find out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I don't drink all that much caffeine. As far as my liquid intake, it's usually a few glasses of water during the day (the last one usually being before 3:00 PM), and a drink with each meal. Rarely anything after 6:30 PM.

While I appreciate all the suggestions, I'm mostly focused on the idea of "bladder retraining" mentioned on page 1. I think this could work for me. I realized after reading that just how irregular my bathroom habits are. For example, I often go when I don't really need to just to avoid potentially feeling uncomfortable later on. I'm going to make a serious effort to reduce my bathroom visits and see if it helps.
You really should see the doctor to make sure there's no physical cause. In older men the cause of having to pee often at night is usually an enlarged prostate, which puts pressure on the urethra and keeps the bladder from emptying totally, but you're not really old enough for that. Taking saw palmetto is supposed to be good for prostate heath. My husband was taking it for a while because he works with a bunch of old men and everyone was talking about their prostate problems all the time, so he figured he'd take it as a preventative, but I managed to convince him to wait until he started to have problems or until he turned 50.

I know for women strengthening the pelvic floor helps reduce bathroom problems, I don't know how much it helps men but here's a link telling how to do Kegel exercises for men: Kegel exercises for men: Understand the benefits - Mayo Clinic

Old 11-05-2015, 03:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
I don't think this is normal for a 42 year old. I assume you're male. I'd go the doctor's and have explain the situation to him/her.

Alley

Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 5,369 times
Could be a bacterial infection. I had one before and couldn't sleep through the night because I had to pee all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness