Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Medical treatment: hospital care, emergency room nursing, nurse, dr surgery.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM

791 posts, read 2,948,452 times

Advertisements

If you or a family member has been in the hospital how was your care?
I have had a couple surgeries and haven't been impressed with the treatment that I received.Not only did my doctor never come out and greet my family after my surgery but the nurses were not very pleasant either. It doesn't feel like there is any compassion left in the heath care field. My Mom also had a bad experience in another state and her biggest complaint was with the nurse's lack of care & compassion.
I have experienced this even more in an emergency room setting, the people checking you in and the triage nurse could care less how much pain you are in at least that has been my experience.
I just wonder if the people that get into the health care field do it for the money, job stability of if they really care about people. If it's because they really care does that compassion just disappear after seeing so many people in pain?

And yes I do know many doctors and nurses love to help people and those are not the ones I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM

713 posts, read 2,708,516 times
Hmmmm, are you talking about care that you have gotten at Renown Hospital? My mom has had numerous surgeries there and the doctors have always come out and spoken to me. The nurses there are going over to a 3 day/12 hour day work week. I think that would leave me in a bad mood, lol. I myself have had several surguries (liver transplant) and have several medical conditions and I do feel that because of this I do get preferential treatment..but in my mom's case I dont see any reason. Due to many medical problems within my family I do think my mom and I are pretty knowledgeable patients..and that seems to help, I think, when discussing matters with hospital staff. I love being in the hospital. Always a learning experience.

Last edited by verynicebecky; 02-01-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: addition to post

Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,209,589 times
My husband had major surgery here in Dallas 3 years ago. I thought the care was excellent. My mother had surgery in another major hospital about 15 years ago here in Dallas and I thought the care was much less so... (especially the nursing.)

Just depends, I think. There are good and bad workers in all fields, caring and uncaring and that includes health care it would seem. I worked in a hospital some years ago and again, some of the staff was excellent and caring and others ... not so much.

There IS a great deal of burn out in the field. I worked in patient relations/social services for close to 6 years and I even got "burned out." It is an intense field to work in. Also, I think we still have a hospital nursing shortage in this country. I think that plays a part too.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM

791 posts, read 2,948,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Hmmmm, are you talking about care that you have gotten at Renown Hospital? My mom has had numerous surgeries there and the doctors have always come out and spoken to me. The nurses there are going over to a 3 day/12 hour day work week. I think that would leave me in a bad mood, lol. I myself have had several surguries (liver transplant) and have several medical conditions and I do feel that because of this I do get preferential treatment..but in my mom's case I dont see any reason. Due to many medical problems within my family I do think my mom and I are pretty knowledgeable patients..and that seems to help, I think, when discussing matters with hospital staff. I love being in the hospital. Always a learning experience.
I have never had surgery in Nevada.
I know many hospitals have 3, 12 hour shifts but that is really no excuse to not give the patients the care the deserve. Glad you experience was good.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM

448 posts, read 1,046,657 times
I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. We work them because we prefer them. What's a few more hours in a day when you have 4 days a week off? They do take some getting used to, but most of us wouldn't have it any other way. Also if you have more days off, it isn't that big a deal to pick up an extra shift when it gets busy. Think about it. If you just worked 5 in a row, what are the odds you will pick up an extra day on your weekend off. 12 hour shifts also means you only have to deal with 2 nurses in a 24 hour period instead of 3. We get to know you better because we spend more time with you.
I would say in general if you had crabby nurses you have a crabby hospital enviornment, there's probably something going on in the hospital climate in general. All facilities have growing pains and transitions. If you have the luxury of knowing you will be going to the hospital ask around and see what people say about it. If you have any nurse friends ask them who they see. It isn't really right for us to endorse one Dr over another, but if a nurse you know uses a certain surgeon or GYN they would be a pretty safe bet.
If everyone else seems to love your hospital and/or Dr, you probably just had plain bad luck. Look for trends in comments and complaints. I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say they "wouldn't take their dog to...." about Dr's I know to be some of the best around. Your medical care is very personal and it doesn't take much to sway your opinion.
Sorry I got wordy!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,928,950 times
A 12 hr workshift with 3 days on and 4 days off sounds great to me. I wish it was an option on my job as a programmer/analyst. If more businesses implemented such a work schedule, it would reduce rush hour traffic, save gasoline, reduce pollution and allow workers to take mini vacations and/or do their shopping on weekdays instead of everyone having to do those activities on weekends. Vacations, shopping, and traffic to and from work would be less concentrated, highways, stores and resorts would be less crowded. Why should nursing be the only profession to enjoy such a great work schedule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness